It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juror booted out for naughty T-shirt

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Skadi, its not possible to implement 'a solution'.

The whole world revolves around corrupted systems of power, money, justice and law. I could probably sum it up in three words: $USD, gold, oil. Little else matters, other than them. It isn't possible for one person to 'fix' the justice system. Planet Earth has tipped too far into corruption at all levels.

finemanm admitted that justice works perfectly fine for 99% of the population, leaving the other 1% as damaged goods.

finemanm thinks that the justice system is fair, because I would have a chance to defend myself if I was improperly accused... yeah right, but I still have to convince 12 other people of that. Too bad if I'm one of the 1% that never managed to successfully do so - huh?

I don't even know when I'm being serious any more. It's all worth a good chuckle watching people try to defend their right to cast judgement on others.

ATS - better than TV comedy.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
[

I don't even know when I'm being serious any more. It's all worth a good chuckle watching people try to defend their right to cast judgement on others.

ATS - better than TV comedy.

LOL, and what a fine close, judging people, who judge people!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

What would you have? Stonings? Mob rule?

The guy wore an inappropriate article of clothing. I don't think it was wrong for the judge to send him home at all.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Thanks for the comment, now that I agree with. Lol.

"The System" works for those who now how to make it work for them, true. When it comes to law, it's frustrating because it's not always about guilty or innocent, but about what can or can't be proven and what laws have or have not been broken (and of course, that must be proven too). It's definitely not perfect and there are many, many things that need to change.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by tezzajw

What would you have? Stonings? Mob rule?

The guy wore an inappropriate article of clothing. I don't think it was wrong for the judge to send him home at all.

The entire notion of "obscenity" is ridiculous.

If one doesnt like what someone says, wears, thinks, or shows, the "offended" party
is free to avoid the "offender".

People who are offended by mere words seem to exhibit a mental defect that makes then think since they dont like something, no one else should either.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I am sick of hearing stories like this. What has happened? Does no one have any bit of class and demeanor anymore? This world has degraded into on where being low class and crude is something to be proud of. The lowest common denominator is cool?

60 years ago men wouldn't even wear hats indoors, now its considered OK to wear a shirt with **** on it in a courtroom. She wasn't making a statement on free speech, she's just ignorant.

I'm disgusted by this behavior.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by drock905]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Except the Offended party is the JUDGE. You know, the guy who is supposed to be thinking about the case in front of him, not some kid trying to be an ass?

How is he supposed to avoid a person that is supposed to be there as a juror?

If they were on the street I would agree with you, but they weren't, they were in a court room.

[edit on 6/24/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
I am sick of hearing stories like this. What has happened? Does no one have any bit of class and demeanor anymore? This world has degraded into on where being low class and crude is something to be proud of. The lowest common denominator is cool?

60 years ago men wouldn't even wear hats indoors, now its considered OK to wear a shirt with **** on it in a courtroom. She wasn't making a statement on free speech, she's just ignorant.

I'm disgusted by this behavior.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by drock905]

Perhaps you should stop caring about what other people wear and worry a bit more about the important problems in your life.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Except the Offended party is the JUDGE. You know, the guy who is supposed to be thinking about the case in front of him, not some kid trying to be an ass?

How is he supposed to avoid a person that is supposed to be there as a juror?

If they were on the street I would agree with you, but they weren't, they were in a court room.

If the judge cant focus on a case because of someones shirt, he shouldnt be a judge in the first place.

A judge is there to adjudicate the law, not act as a fashion consultant.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The girl obviously did this for attention. I agree that they should have dismissed her. She probably did it so she could try and sue.

The fact is this: using profanity is a sign of ignorance, as well as WEARING profanity. I would not want an ignoramus deciding my fate. Case closed.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Defy ignorance and read the article.

It was a girl wearing the t-shirt, not a guy.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind
The girl obviously did this for attention. I agree that they should have dismissed her. She probably did it so she could try and sue.

The fact is this: using profanity is a sign of ignorance, as well as WEARING profanity. I would not want an ignoramus deciding my fate. Case closed.

hahahaha

Since you state it as fact, how about backing up your contention with some factual data showing that using profanity is a sign of ignorance.

Of course, you have never uttered a profane word in your life right?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

No, it doesn't work like that. But I suspect that you don't really care about whether or not it's appropriate dress for a court room, you seem to want to be willfully ignorant.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Who gives a flying
?

That's not really the point is it?

The point is, an inappropriate article of clothing was worn in the court room, and the judge had every right to remove the juror for that reason.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

No, it doesn't work like that. But I suspect that you don't really care about whether or not it's appropriate dress for a court room, you seem to want to be willfully ignorant.

I'm not the one getting upset or offended by words on a shirt. If you want to throw around the accusation of ignorance, perhaps you should look into a mirror.

Words on a shirt.

Thats it.

Think the juror would have been removed if she wore a shirt saying something along the lines of "PRAISE JESUS!!!!!!"?

Of course not, but that is still offensive to some people.

Words. On. A. Shirt.

If a judge cannot remain focused on the issue at hand (aka the case in front of him) because of a jurors shirt, that judge is not fit to be sitting in judgement of anyone.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Think the juror would have been removed if she wore a shirt saying something along the lines of "PRAISE JESUS!!!!!!"?

If I were the judge she sure would be removed.

Inappropriate attire is inappropriate attire. I know, you want to be argumentative just to be argumentative, and that's fine, here on ATS that is your freedom of speech at work. In a courtroom, when you are a JUROR you have a job to do and you aren't there to be a distraction.

So get over it, it happened, and guess what? It will happen again because a court room is not an appropriate place to be wearing your
Kayne West T shirt,

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Actually I am not being argumentative just for the sake of it.

I'm sick and tired of people thinking that just because they are "offended", that someone should wear/say something.

People need to worry less about what others do, and more about their own lives.

Many things that were once considered "obscene" are now mainstream. It's only a matter of time before the antiquated notion of "being offended" dies too.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The bottom line is all courts have a dress code usually proper business attire. I have seen bailiffs, and judges kick out all manner of people for wearing clothing not in line with the dress code.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Like I said before, if she was out on the street, I would agree with you. That's freedom of speech, and it is her right.

But in a court room, it's inappropriate. That is the distinction you aren't getting, and you aren't getting it because you don't WANT to get it.

If you or I did the same thing in any court room across this country, the same thing would happen to you or I.

It's not about being offensive, it's about being inappropriate.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Like I said before, if she was out on the street, I would agree with you. That's freedom of speech, and it is her right.

But in a court room, it's inappropriate. That is the distinction you aren't getting, and you aren't getting it because you don't WANT to get it.

If you or I did the same thing in any court room across this country, the same thing would happen to you or I.

It's not about being offensive, it's about being inappropriate.

Oh I fully get the point.

Some old codger judge deems something inappropriate. Thankfully these holier than thou puritans are dying off and hopefully the notion of "deceny" dies with them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join