It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juror booted out for naughty T-shirt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Juror booted out for naughty T-shirt

www.heraldsun.com.au

A POUTY, hair-flipping teenaged alternate juror at a New York police brutality trial was kicked off the panel overnight for wearing a T-shirt with the word "f***" on it in 5cm-high letters.

The shirt in question, worn by 19-year-old alternate No. 3, Nneka Eneorj, as she sat in the front row of the jury box, caught the judge's eye just as the defendant was about to take the stand.

"WHO THE F*** IS KANYE WEST?" the shirt read, the offending obscenity resting just above the wood veneer rail of the jury box.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

"It's supposed to be a First Amendment issue," the physical therapy student said of her supposed right to wear whatever she wants.

Yeah, right... justice. You can have justice only if you don't chew gum, dress 'properly' and pretend to respect the authority of the court.

Good on her. My only criticism is that she was advertising Kanye West... what a looooser he is.

As usual, the whole freakin' justice system is a joke.

www.heraldsun.com.au

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I would have thrown them out too. A jury is serious business. That's someone's life or freedom you're talking about, that they're messing with.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Perhaps she did it on purpose to get out of jury duty!

Seriously though, it's just not appropriate. As a matter of fact, wearing just a plain old t-shirt to court wouldn't be appropriate, either. The last time I got summoned for jury duty, they sent along a flier describing appropriate clothing to wear for the task. That was in Phoenix. I have no clue if New York requires a dress code for jurors.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeedBump
reply to post by tezzajw

I would have thrown them out too. A jury is serious business. That's someone's life or freedom you're talking about, that they're messing with.

So how does your choice of t-shirt affect your ability to decide someone's fate?

Would she have been a better juror if she wore a shirt and skirt?

I think it's a great way to avoid being selected for jury duty, or to be excused by it. If arse-backwards Judges are going to act as fashion police, then they're the suckers who lose out on potential jurors.

If I ever get called for jury duty, I know what I'll be wearing!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
All I can say at this point is a photo of the Judge's face when he saw what the T-shirt said would have been priceless.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Ya? so what? She was disrespecting the court. She was either (1) trying to get out of jury duty, in which case it worked, or (2) being incredibly short sighted and showing lack of boundaries and judgment, in which case the consequence was that she was thrown out. Seems appropriate in either scenario. I've no issue.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeedBump
reply to post by tezzajw

How does a t shirt have any impact on someones decision?

People who have problems with mere words, especially words on a shirt, have more important problems than the offending shirt.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Would she have been a better juror if she wore a shirt and skirt?

That doesn't really matter. The point of a juror is to remain impartial until they are asked to make a descision concerning whomever is on trial.

The reason people are asked to dress a certain way while surving on a jury, is to keep the focus on whomever, or whatever reason they are in court for, and not themselves.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeedBump

You're absolutely right. And it was the judge's prerogative to determine that.

Aside from that this is a good thing to stash in your back pocket should you ever need to be excused from jury duty.

You know...I'm fairly ancient and I vote and have a clean record but I've never been called for jury duty. Just about everyone else I know has, many of them multiple times. I wonder if there's something I don't know about myself. Hmm...maybe it's because I come here...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

"It's supposed to be a First Amendment issue," the physical therapy student said of her supposed right to wear whatever she wants.

Yeah, right... justice. You can have justice only if you don't chew gum, dress 'properly' and pretend to respect the authority of the court.

Good on her. My only criticism is that she was advertising Kanye West... what a looooser he is.

As usual, the whole freakin' justice system is a joke.

www.heraldsun.com.au

How absurd. She actually GOT TO SERVE ON A JURY and then wore some dumb T-shirt that got her kicked off?

How ironic. I've never actually been able to GET ON a jury and it is a shame because I can spot a guilty person just by looking at them.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Again: How does that t-shirt affect the impartiality of that juror?

The whole notion of playing 'dress-ups' for court, reinforces the sham that it is. I have to laugh, when I see bloodthirty butchers, entering court, wearing a suit and tie. As if it matters!!!

The justice system and the whole court room circus, represents everything that's wrong with society. Appearances, in this instance, obviously do matter. Judging a book by its cover, much?

As if any person ever has the right to decide if someone else if guilty or innocent, anyway...

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
As an attorney who actually appears before Judge Farber, I can tell you that he is a very fair man. He is also very fashionable. His Wife is a famous designer.

However, jury duty is supposed to be serious. It is probably the most serious thing you can do, to sit in judgment of a fellow citizen. Your decision will affect the rest of his/her life. You should dress approprately. You wouldn't wear that T-Shirt to a job interview if you actually want the job.

Clearly she wanted off the jury and simply failed to speak up to get out during jury selection.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeedBump

Your right, when TPTB decide to falsify evidence, have the police beat the SH*T out of you to get a confession, steal your money and deny you your rights under the constitution, the people in the Jury should be honoured to serve their country and sentence that innocent scum bag to death; which should be carried out by making him work on the oil spill so he succumbs to the gas and toxic chemicals which will make him go mad leading to his self extermination!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Blanca Rose

Again: How does that t-shirt affect the impartiality of that juror?

It might not affect her impartiality, but it most certainly would affect others, if all they were thinking about was what her t-shirt said, instead of focusing on the trial.

There's a time and a place for a t-shirt like that, but it isn't in a courtroom!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

You are just completely clueless. How would you dispence justice? Would you prefer the government decide guilt and innocence? Juries are fair, impartial and without an ax to grind. 99 times out of a 100 they do the right thing.

Should there be no justice system? If someone raped your mother, you wouldn't want that person to be tried and convicted? If you were wrongfully accused, wouldn't you want fair minded people to give you a fair chance at freedom and exoneration?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
While I despise the entire legal system, and would replace it with a pure common law system - I am also of the opinion that showing some respect by wearing neat and conservative clothing shou,ld be required at a proper court.

To wear a shirt like that isn't appropriate. Stupid little wretch - its just a way of showing disrespect for everyone else present. She needs a good kick in the head with a steel cap boot - might help.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Last time I did jury duty there was a dress code. You had to wear comfortable business casual clothing. This guys is lucky he did not get held in contempt of court. Freedom of speech does not extend to obscenity, this is upheld by case law in similar situations. There is a time an place for everything, a shirt like that is fine for a rock concert around like minded people, it is not acceptable in mixed polite company. I guess some folks simply lack any common sense or sense of decency any more.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
You are just completely clueless.

In your opinion, as you're part of the justice system. I don't expect that you could take an impartial look at the system you work in.

Originally posted by finemanm
How would you dispence justice? Would you prefer the government decide guilt and innocence? Juries are fair, impartial and without an ax to grind. 99 times out of a 100 they do the right thing.

Why does justice need to be 'dispenced' by a court of 'law'? Artifical justice, such as that written by governments, are a sham.

You have shown why the justice system, with juries is flawed. They only get it right 99 out of 100 times. With 1 in every 100 people are totally screwed by the jury and justice system, that's a cause for concern.

I guess most people are happy enough to live with such a flawed system of punishment, dangling over them.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I guess most people are happy enough to live with such a flawed system of punishment, dangling over them.

What is your solution?

You do have one, right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join