It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity the Biggest Scam in History?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Here's a way to help solve your problem (I brought this up on a much earlier thread):

How do your friends act? I know, they're your friends- but do they treat others as well as they treat each other? What kind of church do they go to? Is the pastor poor (drives something mid-level) or does he drive a luxury car? How do others in the church act?

Now, if you have answers like 'badly', 'expensive', 'luxury', and 'like jerks'- your answer is right there as to who they worship. I've come to notice that people who act like this are in it for their own pockets and self righteousness. They'll cover their butts any and every which way they can on tough biblical questions- because they dont know, and they cant find out.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
No, in fact they DO worship him as God.

My personal belief is that there is a God, and that we should just pray to Him directly, but one of my Christian friends claimed that this is an oxymoron - that I cannot believe in God if I do not believe that Jesus is God, since they are the same thing, and one cannot exist without the other!

For the record, I am not seeking validation of my beliefs, I am seeking discussion on the thoughts I posted.

It seems to me that Jesus does not ever identify himself as God, as pointed out, even he prays to God, his disciples pray to God (and thank him for sending his servant), etc.

So how has it become the core belief that the Holy trinity of God=Jesus=The Holy Spirit is correct, when nowhere is this implied or claimed by jesus?

I am asking is it the biggest scam in history because it is almost undoubtedly the wealthiest in terms of money, yet the poorest in terms of morality.

I am not as someone alluded to an apologist or proponent of Islam, I also believe that Islam is seriously flawed and leads people down the wrong/a dark path.

It's just that as I am involved in a discussion group with a group of Christians, I have personal first hand experience of what they believe and think, and I would rather discuss that than make presumptions about other beliefs, faiths, and people of whom I have no experience or knowledge.

It may well be that all religions are scams, but for the purpose of this exercise, I am focusing on Christianity alone, which seems deeply flawed on almost every level.

Originally posted by babybunnies
If Jesus is NOT God (and they don't actually claim that he is), then Christians will argue that he is one of God's Prophets.

And just for the record, Christians do not worship Jesus AS God, they wordhip him as the SON of God, which of course, would make The Devil his Uncle (the bible is very clear that the Devil is God's brother), which everyone seems to conveniently ignore.

And yes, ALL religion is a shameless hypocritical scam. People (most notably the Church) warn people against scamming seniors, while they pass the collection plate every Sunday. They preach love and tolerance but are the most hate filled and intolerant organization in the history of the planet.

True Spirituality, on the other hand, can be reaily adjusted to an individual's spiritual needs and people should find their own spirituality rather than follow organized religion.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Power_Semi]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
the Biggest Scam in History my freind is Islam how dare you to attack Christianity

This site is full of haters and yet Islam lovers and wanna bes of it.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

You seem deeply offended, but I do not understand why?

If you have such strong beliefs and such an overpowering faith, then you should surely understand where it comes from?

So enlighten me.

Tell me please where Jesus says that he is God, and where he tells us to worship him, and I will gracefully concede that I am wrong and you are right.

However, if you cannot point out where Jesus specifically said this, then you have to ask yourself why you would worship a man when God clearly says that you must worship no one but God Himself, and what this means for you when you meet Him.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
A group of people who you drink and read the bible with are scamming you? how?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

Not all Christians believe that God the Father and Jesus Christ, his son, are one "being" (for lack of a better word). I have never thought they were. I was shocked when I went to catecism and found out I was supposed to. But I also found out I was supposed to believe in original sin (not the Catholic sense). I have never thought that was right, either. If I'm to be damned, make it for my own sins alone. I also believe when Christ died for the sins of the world, he knew how big the world was, how many people were going to be on it, and that there would be people who never will have the opportunity to learn there is anything other than their own belief system out there. I wasn't supposed to believe that, either.
So I looked for someone who believed as I do and found them.

I think everyone has to go through their own conversion, applying how they feel and what they feel about religion in general.
As to whether Jesus is God......he's so much more than we are "God" fits. But he has a Father. He talked about Him often. Jesus didn't pray to himself, he prayed to someone "more" than him. His Father.
But exactly who they are, and what they are and what we are to believe about them it's a matter of faith. If you have faith, you have to acknowledge there are things which you do not know, yet still believe. It works for me.
Claiming Christianity is a scam is your opinion. Most people are religious because they want to be better people in a better world. There are going to be good people and bad people in any group. Making a blanket statement.......well, you just need to look for the good religious and ignore the bad. But I have never been scammed by my church. so about me, your opinion is wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

That's not what I said is it.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Since there are Islam Suppoters on this thread and the borad tell me this

why was mohammed allowad to marry a 9 year old? and why does mohammed say his the real son of god.

I never seen such hate on Christianity like this before.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k

Not all Christians believe that God the Father and Jesus Christ, his son, are one "being" (for lack of a better word). I have never thought they were. I was shocked when I went to catecism and found out I was supposed to. But I also found out I was supposed to believe in original sin (not the Catholic sense). I have never thought that was right, either. If I'm to be damned, make it for my own sins alone. I also believe when Christ died for the sins of the world, he knew how big the world was, how many people were going to be on it, and that there would be people who never will have the opportunity to learn there is anything other than their own belief system out there. I wasn't supposed to believe that, either.
So I looked for someone who believed as I do and found them.

I think everyone has to go through their own conversion, applying how they feel and what they feel about religion in general.
As to whether Jesus is God......he's so much more than we are "God" fits. But he has a Father. He talked about Him often. Jesus didn't pray to himself, he prayed to someone "more" than him. His Father.
But exactly who they are, and what they are and what we are to believe about them it's a matter of faith. If you have faith, you have to acknowledge there are things which you do not know, yet still believe. It works for me.
Claiming Christianity is a scam is your opinion. Most people are religious because they want to be better people in a better world. There are going to be good people and bad people in any group. Making a blanket statement.......well, you just need to look for the good religious and ignore the bad. But I have never been scammed by my church. so about me, your opinion is wrong.

You make some interesting points, but again, I'm not claiming that all Christians are scammers, or that any particular church is scamming it's flock, in fact I'm not claiming anything at all.

I am asking whether Christianity as an institution, or perhaps more correctly as an ideology is the biggest scam of all.

If it has hooked Hundreds of Millions of people under false pretences (pretences created by powerful men, a long time ago), then I think it qualifies as a scam, and it would therefore be the biggest scam in history.

Christians themselves on the whole would be the victims of the scam, not the perpetrators.

The scammers would be those who have access to the truth (ie the church as an institution), but reveal only that which achieves for them what they want - which is probably power.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Since there are Islam Suppoters on this thread and the borad tell me this

why was mohammed allowad to marry a 9 year old? and why does mohammed say his the real son of god.

I never seen such hate on Christianity like this before.

I'm not hating anything, I'm asking a perfectly valid question formed from the words of Christ himself.

So, how about you tell me where he says he is God and we should worship him, or alternatively explain why you'd worship a man as God when God tells you not to.

As I made extremely clear previously, I am not going to discuss Islam, since I know virtually nothing about it.

My questions come from listening to what I interpret as closed minded Christians, and I would like Christians to discuss Christianity, not point the finger at other religions to tell me how they're worse (in your eyes) than Christianity.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Power_Semi]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

The title is Is
Christianity the Biggest Scam in History?

Inferring that there is some sort of scam going on. Then you ramble on about the bible and how the people who attend the "beer and bible" group believe in funny things. Do you surround yourself with people that are below you so you can feel better about yourself?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The bible is so jam packed with contradictions, absurdities, and atrocities that anyone who even thinks it makes a decent fictional book is mentally defective.

If the bible said that jesus was formed in the bowels of Mary and was then shot directly out of her anus, already fully clothed in a white robe and having a full beard, they WOULD BELIEVE IT 100%.

They have lost all rational thought, and there is no reasoning with them until they finally read the book thoroughly and completely as most nonbelievers have and discover the truth of it.

Anyone who believes so faithfully in that level of nonsense has the potential to be harmful to anyone around them. A book written about a god that commands and is well pleased with such viscous unacceptable behavior towards all of those except his small amount of "chosen" people is NOT A GOOD BOOK EVEN FOR FICTION.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

The title is Is
Christianity the Biggest Scam in History?

Inferring that there is some sort of scam going on. Then you ramble on about the bible and how the people who attend the "beer and bible" group believe in funny things. Do you surround yourself with people that are below you so you can feel better about yourself?

Where have I said anything of the sort?

I am asking the question from my experience of Christians that I have met.

The question is about Christianity, not about individual people, and the basis of the question is that the Bible seems to me to say that Jesus said exactly the opposite of the core beliefs of Christianity.

Now, if you want to make some form of intelligent comment rather than throwing around petty, unfounded, and needless personal insults then go ahead, otherwise don't bother posting at all.

I could almost get the impression that you're another offended Christian, and that you'd rather call people names than think, but your attitude isn't Christian at all.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Where have I said anything of the sort?

What do you mean?
In the title...
Christianity the Biggest scan in History, the statement implies that there is some sort of scam going on.
Then you say

I've been pondering this question since I've been going to a "beer and bible" group

Now, if you want to make some form of intelligent comment rather than throwing around petty, unfounded, and needless personal insults then go ahead, otherwise don't bother posting at all.

wha wha wha

I could almost get the impression that you're another offended Christian, and that you'd rather call people names than think, but your attitude isn't Christian at all.

Im not christain.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I haven't read the whole thread but I definitely agree with your title and feel Christianity is a huge scam.

Check out Bible Blunders.com for some obvious errors and fallacies in the Bible.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Christianity, as well as the concept of "Heaven" was invented by the Jews to keep the layman (gentiles) satisfied and obedient.

The only "religion" should be common sense.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Google Scientology.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The title sums it up so I'll keep it short.. Here's a link I post all the time:

www.exposingchristianity.com...

Give it a gander, it's not too hard to understand how the power structure of this world is set up once you understand the significance of the church and the occult.. just another piece of the puzzle.

Make of it what you will

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Whatever group of men wrote this book must have been on some serious drugs, because they can't keep their god damned story straight.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Mainstream religion is about nothing more than brainwashing the masses into believing what they want you to believe is the truth.

Abandon there teachings and follow your own path for what is truth in your own heart is the only truth that matters.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join