It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julia Gillard to become Prime Minister

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Julia Gillard to become Prime Minister

news.ninemsn.com.au

Julia Gillard will become Australia's first female prime minister after Kevin Rudd stood aside instead of facing a leadership ballot.

Mr Rudd decided not to take part in a leadership ballot rather than face a defeat in the Labor party room shortly after 9am this morning.

Treasurer Wayne Swan will become Deputy Prime Minister in an uncontested ballot.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/6/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
As most were expecting, Gillard has won the leadership, even Rudd must have decided it wasnt worth contesting. How do you reckon Gillard would fair up against Abbot? I havnt paid as much attention to this show they put on that is politics since awakening, and I dont care who really claims to lead I doubt the general direction will change much.

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.esperanceexpress.com.au...

news.yahoo.com...

www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

www.businessweek.com...
[edit on 23-6-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I think Rudd did a good thing.

He knew everyone was p'ed off with him and he went out in a way that meant that we wouldn't hate him even more. He did it in the honorable, respectable way. You could say he "gave up" but I think he knew that, Nah, this is it... Time to let someone else have a go.

I didn't think much of Gillard but I'm willing to give her a chance.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is a nightmare.

Even though I think we all know Gillard was running the show anyway... having her as PM and Anna Bligh as Premier is going to drive this country into the ground.

They'll sell everything, and crush the unions.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

You do realise that this means there will be an early election, within the next few months. So all hope is not lost yet...............

And no, I don't have anything against a female PM. I just have a problem with the fact that I don't really think she will be able to run the country effectively.

=

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

It goes to show the old adage is true.

There is no such thing as an honest politician.

Yet again the case is last week the party quoted there was no challenge on the cards. Also they stated on Q and A as recently as Monday the 21st that K.Rud would serve a full term as P.M. if he won the election this year.

Those who cannot be trusted on trivial matters should never be trusted on major matters.

Part of me wonders if the state the State Governments are in have led to this so there is the appearance of a new puppet to the masses.

Kevin had been lumped in with the crappy N.S.W and QLD Labor parties in the eyes of voters, despite what the mouthpieces said, and this may have been their band-aid with an election around the corner.

You were awful quick off the rank there Polar, kudos.

Cheers,
Pabs

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
LOL... channel 7 is interviewing her parents again and because they're obviously regular people, they keep contradicting each other... like the father tries to talk her up a little and then her mum is like, "NO! she didn't know what she wanted to be as a kid! She wouldn't have known that until highschool!"

cracked me up anyway... can hear Larry and whats-her-face getting slightly po'd when they don't play into the questions, haha.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

I think you are right about the early election.

I also think that will backfire though.

Too much too soon. I will guarantee the opposition will play the "How do we know she will serve a full term" routine that Labor used against them three years ago.

I find after all their bellyaching about Howard not serving a full term last time this development utterly disgraceful and hypocritical.

I mean according to the Labor party that was the worst thing a party could do wasn't it?

Cheers,
Pabs

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pablos

I also believe it's going to backfire.

It's obvious they think the average Australian is stupid. But we're not.

I know full well they wanted to replace Rudd because he was seen as losing, and by putting up Gilard they want to appeal to the female vote. I fully expect to see election attack ads against Abbot in regards to his comments about females to turn this into a battle of the sexes.

But I don't really care what sex the PM is I'm more interested in policies. And while they've got ETS and the internet filter and Anna Blight horrendous destruction of Queensland going on I'm not going to vote for them plain and simple.

And I really hope nobody else does either. This is nothing but a gimmick.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by belial259]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Oh great we went from one bad egg (Howard), to another bad egg (Rudd) to yet another bad egg (Gillard)....and on the other side we have a pile of bad eggs (Abbott).

Bring back Bob Hawke!!!!!!

The only world leader that holds a world record!!!

Fastest yard glass of beer drunk!!!!!

Now thats what I call a Prime Minister!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by belial259
reply to post by pablos

I fully expect to see election attack ads against Abbot in regards to his comments about females to turn this into a battle of the sexes.

I think your onto somthing there, it would be so typical of them.
I think Gillard was voted Australias second most sexy woman. Yup it seems so news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

Agreed.

But disagree on Gillard crushing the unions.

She is a massive puppet of the unions, she will do whatever they tell her to.

Her history with them goes back a long way to when she was a lawyer

en.wikipedia.org...

Not that I am anti-union. I am a member of my industry's union.

Far from crushing them she will dance to what tune they tell her to as they put her there.

It was union commissioned polls that scared Rudd out.

Those polled.... Members of the AWU.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I saw the channel 7 poll for who the people would prefer run the country and the odds were stacked in Rudds favour. But obviously the people's opinion isn't as important as the politicians.

We voted Rudd in and now we have some welsh ranga biatch instead! Yay for politics! She's not even Australian born and that accent, NNOOOO!!!

[edit on 23/6/10 by spearhead]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Just wanted to check in to see how much discussion is going on...

It's official Julia Guillard is Primeminister.

I will be back with more indepth commentary soon.

I'm watching 2 news channels (ABC1 & Sky) and reading The Australian as we speak.

Shes giving a press conference at 11am

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
ABC got a story up, Gillard first female Prime minister

Uh Oh!

A red head eh?

You know they have no souls right? She's definetly gonna ruin Australia!!

Kidding aside, I don't know much about Aussie Politics but hopefully she will represent the people and keep Australia a wonderful place

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
What a hollow victory for Australian women.
what a weak move by the increasingly unpopular Krudd, what character, what strength of conviction.

I don't believe it should be legal for this to take place, Labour was not voted in with Gillard, as regrettable as it is this nation actually voted in Kevin Rudd.

Oh i edit to add i misspelled Labor, i always do that.I forgot that might connect them with ACTUAL Labour........

[edit on 23-6-2010 by mumma in pyjamas]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

Spearhead she joins the list of those in Head Office born outside Oz.

Two from Scotland, Two from England, One even from Chile.

Two Premiers I can think of were born in N.Z.

In a way that is a good thing. We are a multicultural country and this reflects that.

An immigration age cut-off should apply in my opinion however.

And the accent. Swapping a Welsh one for THAT.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other!

Not the voice I want representing my country. We may as well have Gina Riley in the job.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

Agreed

Labour really do suck. They havent had a half decent leader since Beasley left. I mean look at these jokers...Latham, Creen, Rudd and now Gillard?!! WTF?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

Mumma, this is perfectly legal under our system of government.

This is why we need to change it. In our system you vote for the party, not the person. This is one idea....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's at least half an idea anyway. Needs development but seems to make more sense.

Cheers,
Pabs

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join