It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul to long-term jobless: Just go back to work

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul on Friday urged Americans who have been unemployed for many months to consider returning to the workforce in less desirable jobs rather than continue relying on government unemployment assistance.

Read more: www.miamiherald.com...

Around here there are hundreds to thousands of applicants per job opening. People would take any position. Meijer's had open job interviews back in March I think it was for around 220 positions and they estimate that 10,000 people showed up.

Another politician telling the common folk to eat cake.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Is Rand on drugs???
Did he not see the dozens of articles
on MSM where the jobless people
are NOT even considered for jobs
cuz they were unemployed???
I think Rand needs to do a lil
more research before he speaks.

The jobs that ARE available
the jobless are past over for.
That's discrimination in the work
place and it should be illegal
no different than sex, religion,
color, race or anything else.

What they need is a couple hundred
law suits brought against major
companies to get congress to add
unemployed persons to the discrimination
laws.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by boondock-saint]

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
No he's right.

Everyone has become lazy these days expecting hand outs.

And they are "too good" for the crappy jobs.

I am not blind or a liar.

Here is what I see everywhere I go.

Every single Fast Food joint has a "help wanted" sign, because their turnover rate is so high.

Every Gas Station has a "help wanted" sign because their turnover rates are also very high.

Grocery stores have "now hiring" signs because they also have high turn over rates due to the pools of workers they usually deal with.

When people say there are no jobs, it's BS. What they mean is "There are no high quality jobs". That is what they mean. And it is pretty true.

However in reality, there are thousands of openings in the crap job world.

I see these signs everywhere I go. From Texas to PA. There are plenty of jobs available.

But are you too good for them?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If your long term unemployed the last thing you need is someone telling you to goto work. Aren't you demoralised enough already from no work and no money?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I see these signs everywhere I go. From Texas to PA. There are plenty of jobs available.

you haven't visited my area.
I haven't seen a help wanted
sign since 2007.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

That's discrimination in the work
place and it should be illegal
no different than sex, religion,
color, race or anything else.

I always get discriminated against because of two reasons.

#1) I have long hair.
Therefore I am rejected purely on that. (Actual Discrimination).

#2) I have a college degree.
No one wants to hire someone that will take over their management position in short time. Discrimination again.

There is a lot of discrimination at the work place.

But hey, people justify doing it to me!

So why should I care when it happens to anyone else?

I do care, but they don't deserve it.

No one has a problem discriminating against me. Karma happens.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This kind of talking really pisses me off, which is why I looked to Rand and Ron with skepticism.

The realist in me believes that politics is a necessary step in our evolution, and that without it, for now anyway, we would be lost.

However, I'm really beginning to think all of it is just a massive load of bull pies.

A few months back I was applying to a dishwasher job where the line for people to be interviewed went out the front door and around the corner(here in NYC) and it was approximately 19 degrees outside.

I've heard similar stories like this from all over. One janitorial position opens up and they get 700 applicants. "Just go back to work."

I got a job in commissioned sales, couldn't keep it because I had to fork over $9 everyday just to get to work. And if you can't sell anything, you don't get paid anything, it doesn't matter if you work 50 hours. It sucked, big time. I couldn't keep it.

Anyway. The point is I'm not sure there are enough jobs for everyone. And just telling people to "go back to work" is ****ing stupid and ignorant. This is why I don't give two ***** about politicians and their drivel.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

He's a fool and not qualified to hold high office.

There are no jobs - period. Sure there are a few jobs at small retail outlets and certainly jobs collecting census firms, but those are few and far between.

Does it really make sense for someone who is experienced and actively looking for work to take a minimum wage job and thus take time away from actively seeking employment for which they are qualified? No it does not.

In terms of business, it makes no sense either to have folks take jobs that they will certainly quit should things get better.

As someone who has hired hundreds of folks over the past 25 years, I can tell you that you simply don't hire people who are way over qualified. It is not good for the team, it creates turnover. You just don't do it, especially when there are folks whos skills are appropriate for the job.

As someone who has been looking for work for sometime, I can tell you that it is close to impossible to get work that you are way over qualified.

Rand is a fool

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You are correct in your statement, I lost my job in 2008 as a warehouse supervisor, I spent a month on unemployment, I ended up working at Home Depot for like 9.00 an hour as a stock boy, but when I went to find a hire paying job it looked good that I didn’t sit on the Feds doles until I found the job I wanted. Now I have a good job with benefits. The lady who hired me said one of the reasons I was picked for an Interview was because I took a low paying job, even though I was over qualified for it. So flip them burgers at MacDonald’s, it will pay off.

Rand Paul is right, we can’t bitch about big government and then hold are hands out to them when life doesn’t go our way. Our Great Grandparents didn’t bitch and complain during the Depression they tightened down, and went from city to city picking food. They built national parks, here we are complaining about little things. It’s time to grow America buckle down, take more chances, nothing is guaranteed except for death.

link   

You have a very good point but.. would you work at McDicks FT despite it not being enough to pay your morgage, feed your family, pay your utilities, insure and gas your car? I know you can put your house up for sale.. but what if it doesnt sell? I know you can sell your car but what if it hardly covers half the expenditure? These are tough times. The only solution there is if you're in that situation is to claim bankruptcy and bicycle to your new McDicks job and eat Mr.Noodles for lunch and supper.

I consider myself lucky because I don't have children or a morgage to pay so I can take-off anywhere I want.

+4 more 
link   
Rand must have been spending too much hitting the pipe! There are NO jobs - anywhere! Not where I live at least. Heck, I have 3 college degrees and applied for a job with Lowes - didn't even get a call for an interview. A friend who works there said that they wouldn't interview people with college degrees because they're afraid those people will leave when the economy improves and they don't want the expense of hiring and training again.

Tried to get a gig in telemarketing - same thing.

All of you people spouting off at the mouth about how lazy we unemployed people are, are the people fortunate enough to have a decent job - FOR NOW. It's easy to be cavalier when it's not you that has to take the crap job and still provide for your family. Keep the preaching to yourself!

link   
In any city composed of a relatively large population, there are jobs.

It is people who constantly quit jobs or refuse to work at a low paying job.

I see it all the time. Person quits a job. Gets hired. Quits. Gets hired. Quits.

Then maybe after 7 times they ask "I swear there are no job openings!!"

The high paying field may have been crushed, but the whole no job fiasco is utter BS.

And by the way, in order for there to be high paying jobs there also needs to be low paying jobs.

If you WANT a job - you can get one. May take a couple months. Rand Paul is right it is just that people are so damn spoiled that they do not give a crap.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

There are no jobs - period.

This is completely false.

This whole "no jobs" bs is just a excuse to become welfare queens. Essentially.

I agree 100% with FritosBBQTwist. Dead on there man.

People think they deserve a 50,000 $ a year job automatically. Like it's their birthright.

Truth is, there are 15,000-20,000 $ jobs open everywhere.

And countless part time jobs that can make you 8,000 in a year.

I have never seen a fast food joint that wasn't hiring. It simply doesn't exist. It's a myth.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

You are correct, My buddy operates a small buisness, they build military vechiles, as well as weld stuff for oil companies and such. He pays his employess well like 19.00 hour. But he has a high turnover rate, because people come in work a month pop hot on there piss test and go back to collecting unemployment. Not all unemployed people are lazy, but its always good to have a trade to fall back on. Welding is mine. If my desk Job goes to the way side, I can always get a job as a welder.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Lol, I applied at who KNOWS how many McDonalds. I have Culinary Arts schooling, letter of recommendation and professional references from the school I went to.

Haven't gotten anything from any fast-food joints. I got a shot at some seafood niche and they didn't take me ... even though I knew their entire menu and knew more about cooking than half the people there. I could prepare everything on the menu in one day, and in a timely manner. Yet, they said I needed more fast-food experience.

Lol, what?

I tried aiming everywhere: high, low, middle. Same ****. It doesn't make a difference. I don't believe in taking hand outs from the government, but I also don't believe the key is as simple and arrogant as, "Just go back to work."

And we hear this from the people that have paychecks coming in.
What sense does that make?

----

I'm sitting here wondering. If every single able person got up and went to get a job at the same time. Would there be enough jobs for everyone?

I highly doubt it.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
they can come to wilson, NC. Just about every place like Pizza hut, walmart, Hardee's, all 6 McDonald's, all three subways and about 1/3 of all retail stores have help needed signs in the window. Its not the greatest job in the world, but its free food and a pay check. I have been thinking about getting a second job at one of the subways because I did three years at one in college and it was actually pretty fun and I was WAY more fit back then.

I was freaking out about two weeks ago because we had a listing in the paper for a position where I work and I was in charge of telling all the applicants what the job was and so forth. I figured I wouldn't be able to get work done because I would be on the phone all day telling all the people the same thing but we only had 20 people apply in a town of about 77,000.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Also go to places like ELANCE.com, where you can get a job today.

They have programming work, writing work, etc available. In the THOUSANDS.

I find work through that website pretty easily quite often. In fact more work than I can handle.

And it pays really well also.

People ignore the new job markets that are emerging, like Internet work.

There is countless opportunities for work/money through the Net.

You don't have a job??
www.elance.com...
Go get one today.

I put it right on your plate. You can't complain now!

There are thousands of openings and all you have to do is sit right there at your computer and hit buttons all day.

You get 10 free "bids" per month, that you can "bid" on projects. Use them wisely, as if you waste them you have to pay like 10$ for 20 more bids or something. Also Elance will take like a 5% cut of everything you make.

Still though, I have lived and afford food by writing stuff through this work-website.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SentientBeyondDesign
Lol, I applied at who KNOWS how many McDonalds. I have Culinary Arts schooling, letter of recommendation and professional references from the school I went to.

You are OVERQUALIFIED.

Just like Me lol.

Look no one is gonna hire Mr Smarty Pants for a job at McD's.

The management is afraid we will take their jobs within a few months.

HIDE your Culinary Arts information and pretend your a bum off the street. You will get hired pronto.

Just try it. I am not joking.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I'm gonna check this site out and see how many hoops I have to jump through in order to land a gig.

I don't have any college degrees, nor do I have any experience in writing other than creative exercises. I'm GOING to be starting college this fall, but yeah. Let's see if I'm good enough for these people.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SentientBeyondDesign

I'm gonna check this site out and see how many hoops I have to jump through in order to land a gig.

I don't have any college degrees, nor do I have any experience in writing other than creative exercises. I'm GOING to be starting college this fall, but yeah. Let's see if I'm good enough for these people.

Random job providers go there and post their random projects for us to bid on.

Each provider is different, because it's all random as ELANCE is just a conduit for us to find employers employees.

When you write a proposal for a project, and bid your amount $ that you want from it; I will give you some tips.

Make sure that you write something like a "Example" article. This will show the prospective employer that you know how to write and can discuss the subject they want very well. (Or if your a programmer, show them some of your work).

Also send them links to websites where you have compiled your work at, so they can see what you are capable of.

These things improve your odds to land a project infinitely over people who do not go to these lengths.

ALSO, keep in mind, ELANCE does not charge you any money. They only take our 5% or so, of what you ACTUALLY get paid.

The way I have it set up, is that ELANCE automatically withdraws my funds directly into my Banking Debit Account.

I can work on my computer, get paid, and never have to go anywhere except Home and the Store. It's a very simple set up.

You can set it up your own way though. There are tons of options for your liking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join