It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I object to this blatant disinformation and propoganda by ATS on their home page

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It's clear that BP didn't say that, very clear that this is intended as sarcasm and satire. It's a play on slogans that uses a very dark sense of humor that expresses the dire situation facing earth and it's inhabitants.

Kudos to whoever came up with this.

link   
Well considering they had that spill in the 70s and should have learned from it,I say the new banner is correct.

They could have used more ways to prevent this and did nothing because of their profit margins.

Way to be ATS.
Keep the banner!!!

link   
Completely agree with you, i have no love for BP but the banner is propaganda and an attempt to jump on the hate BP bandwagon by any means possible, truthful or not.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
reply to post by LurkerMan

It shows bias.
It shows mob mentality.
We are supposed to above that.

Put away your torches and pitch forks, remove the banner!

Return dignity to ATS!

waaaaaiiiiiiit, so you're saying if people rise up with torches and pitch forks they have no dignity....wow

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Something to keep in mind: its only ever Propaganda when someone else does it. Most people don't refer to their own material as propaganda but instead use terms like marketing media, advertising, and informational graphics.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by theuhstuf
I like the banner.

SCREW BP and anyone who thinks they deserves any better treatment.

+1

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

I really would like to know just how much BP is paying you Just Wondering. I have been wondering for several week after your continued denials almost that there is even a leak.

If they are paying you as much as I think, do they have any openings? I might could sell out my beliefs if the price were right.....

Here are some of your disinformation threads:
Wheres the Oil? Model Suggests it may be gone.

A message to all oil spill gloomers---Relax

Mob Mentality Takes over in Oil Spill

There is no blatant attack on BP by that headline. ATS is about truth, and I think we have found the truth. They are not just promoting it.

You on the other hand have accused mods of taking sides against you for your disinformation, and now think ATS itself is taking a side of untruth. When in reality, they are only presenting the truth in one concentrated thread and are just trying to call attention that that thread. Instead of having the oil leak threads spread all over ATS.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I agree with you OP.

This is poor form ATS, this is what tabloids do to appeal to the masses. :down:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with it. They're expressing an opinion and a popular one here on ATS at that. It's controversial. Isn't that what ATS is all about?

link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering

Originally posted by bonsaisert
As long as BP doesn't take action against abovetopsecret.com for slander then does it really matter?
How would you feel about the Palestine quote in the OP? or an anti Democrat/Republican/TeaParty quote?

Complete and utter indifference...

Your contrived examples simply do not compare to the BP situation.

This is what I call making a mountain out of a mole hill.

link   
if using the hottest topic on the internet right now and attracting more users to the Above Network is not good then I guess we should all start paying membership fees to use this site. You have 50k floating around maybe you could donate it to the Above Network in exchange for removing the banner?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I've got to agree. Not because it appears to be a quote, but because ATS prides itself on not taking a side in issues and this banner sure does appear to come down on a particular side. Strongly.

If the banner asked a question: BP "Spill"... Accident or Means to an End? Something like that. It would at least be in line with ATS being open-minded and willing to entertain all sides. This banner makes a clear statement as promoted by ATS.

I don't know. I guess maybe if I heard the reasoning behind the banner, I'd feel differently. But I doubt it.

link   
It is advetising the new Deepwater Disaster forum. I think the banner is an acurate desciption of the threads in that forum.

link   

Originally posted by Helig
Something to keep in mind: its only ever Propaganda when someone else does it. Most people don't refer to their own material as propaganda but instead use terms like marketing media, advertising, and informational graphics.

PROPAGANDA

Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position. As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense, presents information primarily to influence an audience.

By the basic definition a good 95% of the threads on ATS are "propaganda".....Since they attempt to sway the opinion of the ATS community....

AGAIN.....Why does anyone have a problem with it after watching how BP has handled this disaster? BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars go into technology every year to drill DEEPER and DEEPER, whilst NO money goes into prevention methods, and that's why were stuck with crappy "booms" and TOXIC Corexit......

How anyone can still think BP cares more about the environment than profit margins is BEYOND me....And THAT is exactly what this banner is pointed out....PERIOD....

So if you don't like the Banner, please provide me with some proof that
shows BP cares more about the Earth than making a buck.....

Edit to add: DOES anyone see quotes? It's not meant to be a quote, it's expressive what A MAJORITY of ATS believes to be BP's viewpoints....MONEY over Environmental Concerns.

[edit on 6/16/10 by ElijahWan]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I may be wrong...but weren't you the one bragging about buying 20k (or something like that) of BP stock right after the accident???

I think you are just trying to protect your interest...all you have done is defend BP in every thread I have seen you in.

Sorry...but it isn't ATS's responsibility to paint your investments in a good light...especially after they have screwed an entire ecosystem because of their greed and disregard to safety.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I totally agree. I also thought that it tends to make ATS abit bias on BP. We are here to read and discuss our individual opinions based on our own findings. When you open this site and this header jumps out at you, you tend to feel that there isn't much to discuss on this matter being that ATS as a whole, is totally against BP and that they have intentionally caused this terrible disaster just for their own greed.
I have been politely asked by the 'Higher ups' of ATS to watch my P's&Q's in the past and I now politely ask them to watch theirs.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
No, no, no.

As an apolitical provider shouldn't ATS also remain neutral to this issue? I think it should, irrespective of the moral circumstances.

I was always under the assumption that ATS does not represent the political or domestic views of any one individual, more that it respresents the ability for its users to discuss and share information and form opinions by their own willing participation.

As a vote from me. Please remove the banner. It's hypocritical, and something I don't consider ATS need be associated with.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

JW, I think you know I like ya. Which is why I want to offer my condolences.

For your horse.
That died.
About six weeks ago.
It's hard to let go of a loved one sometimes, but we must face facts no matter how difficult.

May it rest in peace.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I don't see anything wrong with it. They're expressing an opinion and a popular one here on ATS at that. It's controversial. Isn't that what ATS is all about?
DAMN STRAIGHT!

However...abovetopsecret.com could potentially be charged with slander, so it's probably not the best idea.

P.S. - Just Wondering - I need a job too, hook me up!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I agree with the OP, not for the same reasons, but for the reasons that BH suggested... Impartiality.
I don't see any banners or ads slandering any other company or even getting involved in any other incidents.

I prefer for us to make our own minds up and discuss things, not for ATS to plaster things like that all over the front page, in the same way the red-tops and tabloids do.

It is not what I've come to expect from ATS.

And I couldn't give a crap about BP before anyone says I'm paid by them or work for them or whatever.

[edit on 16/6/10 by blupblup]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join