It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I object to this blatant disinformation and propoganda by ATS on their home page

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
But I'm still surprised.

Bill why are you surprised at members trying to protect ATS from a libel lawsuit?

You may call it parody but I assure you a BP lawyer would not be amused.

Just because everybody else is doing it doesn't mean we have to lower ourselves to their level.

CX

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Not that it's any of my business, but if there's any truth in this...

Originally posted by manta78
reply to post by getreadyalready

Just Wondering is a stockholder in BP and bought $20,000 worth
of stock in BP as announced on other threads, AFTER the explosion.

Maybe that's why this is hitting a nerve a little?

CX.

link   

Originally posted by Gools

Just because everybody else is doing it doesn't mean we have to lower ourselves to their level.

Exactly.

Well said.

Also BH's point was spot on too.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
To me, it's not about members' opinions. It's about ATS taking a side.

link   
reply to post by Gools

I haven't yet offered my opinion on the potential legality issues, nor am I about to.

What I'd like to add is that I'm not feircely opposing the banner, I'm merely stating that I assumed ATS took an impartial stance on these matters and I'd (personally) like to see that upheld.

Not ''crying over spilt milk'' as some patronising numpty wrote earlier. If the general consensus is to keep the banner up, then fine, I'll go with the majority. I just thought the implications of keeping it there were a little more provocative than just a simple parody.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I am not flagging this thread... even though the slogan put up might not be PROVEN.. the evident conduct of BP truly supports the slogan

KEEP THE SLOGAN UP... people need to realise the seriousness of this disaster wich is hard enough with people like the OP around... OP has a history of playing down the catastrophe in the gulf...

Just read some posts on legal issues... if this is the case then ATS would do wise to take the slogan down while leaving the picture up... no use in getting into trouble... another solution is to simply pose the presented slogan as "opinion"

But really this slogan is actually quite accurate... I believe the story was something like the 2 reliefwells being drilled as we speak will pump out more profit in a years time, then the whole spill is gonna cost. So BP having been VERY ignorant to the problems that were evident BEFORE the spill happened, is really gonna pay off if this is true

Just a question.. why is there no STAR-system present in this thread? can one choose to disable this option?

[edit on 16/6/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There's no quotation marks, and it is not presuming to be quoting BP at this point.

It's fine. It's just a statement.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BAZ752

Exactly... I actually agree with the banner and think BP deserve everything they get... I just don't think it's the job of ATS to plaster things like that on the front page and get involved.

Parody or not, It's unnecessary.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Why not use a real quote from leaked company emails? I think this one should go down as one of the most famous last quotes of all time:

"Who cares, it's done, end of story, will probably be fine." BP email concerning using less than 1/2 of the required items to ensure a patent wellbore.

www.opednews.com... (from the congressional investigation).7.5

Or how about: BP saved 10 days and 7.5 million by not following standard safety practices. Was it worth it?

My humble opinion if that there is quite enough from the reality of the situation to hang them with (and needs to be spread far and wide) w/o resorting to hyperbole. But just so it's said, I'm glad ATS is bringing the fight in the best way they can.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I agree

+ 4

I say keep it up, about time BP had a taste of their own oily medicine

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I agree.

ATS should be an unbiased neutral forum where both sides of the topic can be voiced and debated.

Now if there were question marks on the new BP banner, then ok thats fine it poses questions.

But not like this. Please get rid of it

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan
i think the quote express's bp's overall attitude and behavior towards the situation.

i dont think its meant to sway opinion to what caused the disaster.

i mean whats the first thing bp wanted to do when it happened? clean it up or capture it?

i mean its only after intense pressure that they even started pretending to focus on cleanup.

no conspiracy there, thats how it played out.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by LurkerMan]

Definitely man.

so..
what? are we voting here? lol
ok.. Keep the banner!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

To the 'Big Chief' himself,
I see your point but why compare with what other sites say or do. 'We' are ATS! We don't stoop to what others do. If this is a personnal opinion of yours then I feel that you should have opened your own personal post.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way, shape or form, defending BP's actions.

Just a thought, Do you think that just maybe, that the person or persons that run BP might not know a damn thing about their buisness and are just imbiciles sitting around a big table saying "Ahh s**t, what happened?".

Ignorance is Bliss.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The banner is clearly an advertisement designed to bring attention and traffic to the new sub-forum. I don't object to it. ATS runs their business using an effective model of advertisement, and they have the privilege of making artwork such as the recent banner to continue this model.

I wonder why some ATS consumers get more worked up over a digital banner concerning the deepwater disaster than the actual facts, witnesses, and evidence associated with the disaster itself. Could it be due to an attempt to gain some sense of control over an event that is blatantly out of control?

Lets say that the banner is removed based on the objections in this thread. Does that mean the oil will stop gushing out of the Gulf? Think about it.

Whatever happened to the lesson learned in the phrase, 'don't shoot the messenger'?

[edit on 16-6-2010 by MKULTRA]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gools

The United States territorial waters where this leak has happened and is affected the most so far believes in freedom of speech. And in freedom of the press. However, BP is very obviously affecting the flow of information that reaches the media in this case.

What's the difference in me creating a thread that has a title of

The ocean is just a barrier to getting the oil we need. Kill the oceans. get the oil. BP Cares!

and have it hosted on ATS from a legal standpoint and having ATS have that banner across their homepage?

Gools, I'm not attacking you, or most anyone else who thought that banner should come down or be changed. I'm just stating my opinion that it should have stayed. As is.

If it were me, I would have added a middle finger to that logo. Because that's what BP is doing. They are flipping us all off while sucking up more profits, rather than trying to stop the leak. It's amazing how they all of a sudden were able to say they could prevent more oil from reaching the ocean after the President offered his foot for a few asses.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Burning torches and pitchforks are quite appropriate I believe. The banner is good. BP can go to hell.

Some people need to pull their heads out of their you know what's...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I absolutely despise BP but i must say i was surprised to see this banner on the front page.

I agree with the OP in his critcism that ATS should show a little more objectivity.

When ATS starts advertising certain viewpoints, denying ignorance ends, and the site turns into a tabloid.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So what if ATS takes a side? It's a reflection of the views of the majority of members is it not?

Internet rage is baffling... there are more important things to worry about than banners on the internet.

*calmly walks out the door*

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

BP parody advertising is rampant,

There was Parody in the POLITICAL advertizing galore surrounding both sides of the last US elections.
Where was your banner then reflecting the parody of just one side of that issue?
It was not there, because ATS is impartial, am I right. You guys like balanced debate with the focus on the issues?

I though ATS banner was deny ignorance, not "follow the market place in relation to popular advertising trends".

"and a good portion of it much worse than what we're using"

Who cares what part of the spectrum it is on dude, it is bad form, IMHO.

To eliminate this as a source of distraction from far more numerous, far more serious issues on which our focus should be placed, I toned down the language somewhat.

I agree, but lets be clear, you banner was designed to gain attention and it worked. It seems that now that the result is not as acceptable as you thought, it must be a distraction, hey!
I guess you have the more serious issue of creating advertizing that parodies BP in order to resemble other sources of media, albeit, not as bad as the "good portion of it much worse than we're using". I let you get back to it, now that I have had my little rant!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
An ATS member calling for the removal of material on ATS.

Fascinating.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Keep the banner. Its not really about ATS taking side. The whole world should take side. There is nothing pretty about how they messed up. Keep up the slogan. Also their press ban and private guards all make more suspicions.

I guess people who are telling to remove will change their mind once its proven ocean floor has been damaged beyond our level to do anything about it.

The carelessness of BP is very evident from the start of this spill, their secrecy and all other stuff are outrageous . Also their purchase of search terms from google is more arrogant.

Keep the slogan by all means, if possible post anything more suited to them. This is not enough.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join