It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I object to this blatant disinformation and propoganda by ATS on their home page

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by geo1066
reply to post by Just Wondering

ATS as a whole, is totally against BP and that they have intentionally caused this terrible disaster just for their own greed.

^^ Only took a portion of the quote, the original poster of said quote was expressive that the banner shouldn't be up^^

I wouldn't say "intentionally" but yes, I do believe most people on ATS...let ALONE in America...believe that BP caused this terrible disaster to GROW in it's extent simply because they have ZERO concern for safety. The first few days after the spill the only concern they had was for capping the well and saving their precious oil WHILE NOT protecting OUR precious shores.....

[edit on 6/16/10 by ElijahWan]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
propaganda involves pushing an agenda.

and seeing as how ats is as much a victim in this situation as anybody else, how is voicing an opinion about what happened propaganda?

ats didnt choose for bp to act how it did. and by that i mean worry about saving the oil before cleaning it up (which is not an opinion...it is what happened)

so where is the bias?

[edit on 16-6-2010 by LurkerMan]

link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I think you are just trying to protect your interest...all you have done is defend BP in every thread I have seen you in.

I haven't.
Why do I oppose it?

I think it's possible BP did this on purpose to make money. I think it's VERY possible that they're dragging out the solution and clean-up efforts to somehow make money. I think the government is impotent in this. I wouldn't object to a member having this as their signature or the title of a thread.

To me, it's not about members' opinions. It's about ATS taking a side.

link   
I think it shows responsibility and moxy!

Keep the banner up!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well, obviously it's not a quote and it doesnt look like one as it has no quotations. Not only that, but it is blatant satire, I think it's just humorous and not bias. If you think it's "propaganda" I think you dont get the joke lol

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
BP parody advertising is rampant, and a good portion of it much worse than what we're using... including a Twitter feed that initially sought out to fool readers into believing it was an official BP communication channel.

I'm rather surprised at the response.

To eliminate this as a source of distraction from far more numerous, far more serious issues on which our focus should be placed, I toned down the language somewhat.

But I'm still surprised.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Precisely, and one would consider that (as I've mentioned) with ATS taking an apolitical stance, surely they would also convey the equal level of impartiality with this?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If you saw a murder happened, and the murderer admits that he killed the victim infront of witnesses and the police, and you tell your friend - is such information propaganda or truth?

Screw BP and their bootlickers! I am proud and honoured to be part of this brave community that stands up for the small guys screwed by the greedy Corporation. Time someone did.

Even without this banner, the pitchforks are already sharpened to take on BP. No way in hell are they gonna go free after destroying human and animal lives, as well as OUR environment!

[edit on 16-6-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I think the AD is a true statement and heres why

Toxicity and alternatives

The manufacturer's safety data sheet states "No toxicity studies have been conducted on this product," and later concludes "The potential human hazard is: Low."[14]

According to the Alaska Community Action on Toxics, the use of Corexit during the Exxon Valdez oil spill caused "respiratory, nervous system, liver, kidney and blood disorders" in people.[9] According to the EPA, Corexit is more toxic than dispersants made by several competitors and less effective in handling southern Louisiana crude.[15]

UK authorities have an approved list of products which must pass both "at sea" and "rocky shore" laboratory toxicity tests, following a review of approval procedures over a decade ago[16]. This product failed the rocky shore test, though it is important to note that it passed the at sea test. It is not accurate to say the UK has banned this product completely though, as although this dispersant has been withdrawn from the approved list since 1998, existing stocks that pre-date removal from the list may be permitted for offshore use subject to certain conditions.

Reportedly Corexit is toxic to marine life and helps keep spilled oil submerged. The quantities used in the Gulf will create 'unprecedented underwater damage to organisms.'[17] 9527A is also hazardous for humans: 'May cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver'.[18]

Alternative dispersants which are approved by the EPA are listed on the National Contingency Plan Product Schedule[4] and rated for their toxicity and effectiveness.[19]

So unless you can give me a solid reason why Bp is using corexit when theres other alternatives available I think the banner stands true.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I second the comment "Screw BP".

It is just a matter of tides and time that my beautiful beaches and rivers will be covered in oil.

Who is going to want to buy my 200 acres of marsh front property after the oil hits?

I am within 200 miles of the spill. Will I have to abandon my mortgage free home?

We are talking about a serious crime against man and nature that will not be fixed in any of our lifetimes.

I seriously doubt they will bring action against a site that has many members within the 200 mile radius of the spill.

A class action suit comes to mind if they even say one unkind word against ATS.

Your 50k would not even compensate me for the damage the oil will do to my property I have for sale. Your 50K is chump change compared to the value of my property today.

I liquidated my stock in Goldman Sachs when I realized what they were doing to us. Maybe you should make a good faith gesture and unload your 50K in BP.

Before this is over I'll have your 50K and much more from BP.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by dizziedame]

link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

So because everyone else is doing it, ATS should also do it?

I don't really get your point?

I think we can all see what's going on and we're aware of what BP has done in terms of covering up and lying about the severity.... but why do you need to get involved and plaster that on the front page?

Put the quote about Hayward wanting his life back or something....

I just don't get your involvement on this.

Why not many other issues that have come and gone?

[edit on 16/6/10 by blupblup]

link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
BP parody advertising is rampant, and a good portion of it much worse than what we're using... including a Twitter feed that initially sought out to fool readers into believing it was an official BP communication channel.

To eliminate this as a source of distraction from far more numerous, far more serious issues on which our focus should be placed, I toned down the language somewhat.

But I'm still surprised.

I would agree SO, but up until this point, I would argue that the site (ATS) has a relatively squeeky clean reputation and somewhat of a torch bearer when it comes to the 'wasps nests' that are forums of this type. By squeeky clean, I mean it has a polished reputation for offering a platform of impartiality. Let's keep it that way?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj

Originally posted by theuhstuf
I like the banner.

SCREW BP and anyone who thinks they deserves any better treatment.

+1

+2

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't even see why people are debating about BP in this thread, it's just a parody banner, it's not promoting "propaganda" of any kind, when you click it it just takes you to threads made by users which is a mix of opinions and certainly not propaganda. I think people need to go look up the definition of parody and satire, because those complaining obviously dont get it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I would not even begin to tell you how to run your business or site, however, if I was in your position I would not have changed a thing. Catering to your members is one thing, but letting them bully you is another. No offense intended.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The wiliness of ATS to take a stand against BP and alienate many of it's readers impressed me greatly. Too often such sites would be scared to take such a stand due to the potential loss of revenue.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
If the site owners cannnot take a stand against a mega-corporation that is destroying a vast region of our country, and our waters, due to their own negligence, then who?

Who?

WHO?

If they want to take a stand once in a while it's okay.

They have a voice too, remember?

They are doing it for the right reasons. God, I'm glad I don't own this site and have to try to please all you people. Whew.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The banner is up now...so there wouldn't be much point removing it IMO...the majority of ATS members feel BP really deserves a lot worse...so stop crying over "spilt milk"...

BTW, if you seriously do work for BP, Just Wondering, how can you live with your self?

Originally posted by univac500

Originally posted by robbinsj

Originally posted by theuhstuf
I like the banner.

SCREW BP and anyone who thinks they deserves any better treatment.

+1

+2

+3

[edit on 16/6/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

But I'm still surprised.

There are far more serious issues on ATS that need attention. Like trying to inform the public about the growing information that is coming to light about this blatant cover up surrounding the leak.

The title was obvious satire. There was no obvious attack against BP in that title. It even said BP Cares.

I think it should have stayed up, but I do see why you removed it. I also was surprised that that many people sided with a leak denier about changing it.

I thought ATS was more about truth and denying ignorance than it was about not taking sides. People can't be censored or banned for their viewpoints, and we need dissenters on this site. I thought the banner was about promoting the truth, more than it was about a slam against any one company or entity.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Dude relax....

There is a difference between ATS (the owners/ the company) and ATS (the community/ users).

The majority of ATS (users) are of the opinion that something is not right about the attitude of BP in this whole disaster. ATS (the company) picks up on this and creates a banner that reflects the general sentiment and a separate forum for BP related threads.

I believe "political madness" and "swine flu" had there own banner back then as well.

That banner is just a reflection of the general sentiment on ATS and I think who ever made that banner picked up on this pretty good!!!

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join