It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Outraged! Americans Now Required To Speak Spanish

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This has seriously outraged me. Like many people here I am unemployed and have been for some time after being OUTSOURCED to INDIA by the American corporation that I worked for. Now I have been unable to find work for quite some time and still am actively pursuing work. Well today my newest lead was a job agency that I spoke with on the phone and they were attempting to place me in another AMERICAN COMPANY here in NJ but the lady said "oh but you must be fluent in Spanish." And then went on to say that it will be tested in some sort of entrance exam that I am in fact fluent in Spanish in order to take this job.

So, my country America is dying and we are unable to get jobs and the only jobs available are not even obtainable for AMERICANS? In my OWN country I now have to speak a foreign language just to be able to SURVIVE AND FEED MY FAMILY?

I can't STAND the outrageous and maddening transformation that is occurring to my country. I am ready to QUIT and be out of here to somewhere that respects its own citizens.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have seen private companies that require a college degree to be considered for certain positions. Certain jobs have certain requirements. I don't see the problem.

Do I hate having to press 1 for English? Yep, that bugs the crap of out of me.

The official language of the United States should be English. That would solve a lot of these problems.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusdrak

Im sorry but i believe there is more to the story. What was the job you were applying for? Because most of the jobs illegals take do not require them to speak english or spanish. Here near oxnard there are migrant workers that have so little education they speak their own language and even people who speak spanish have a hard time understanding them. Were you applying for a job that required you to translate? Was it ia company that imported from spain or mexico?
Why not just find another job? If you are in NJ it should not be that hard, it is not like you are in california or arizona.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Whoa big deal, one company wants their employees to talk spanish.
Big deal, really.
I'm gonna tell you a story about us europeans: WE are FORCED to learn english, there's no way around it, even though we could be all perfectly fine with our language, but no, german is not good enough. Without english you wouldn't find a good job in Germany (or most other european countries). Look, i study Game Development in Germany and basically 75% is english only, even most manuals for our software is english only (and they say that you need to understand english or else you aren't even accepted there). And do you hear anyone complain? No. We just learn english because we have to, because there's no other way around and we can accept that. Why can't you accept, that there are more than just one language in the world? And spanish is one of the more prominent languages in the world, so i guess it wouldn't be bad to learn it.

And believe me learning a language, if you're willing to learn it, isn't that hard. I speak bavarian (and yeah, it's basically a own language), german, english, italien and i even learn japanese since one years.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
The official language of the United States should be English.

Ummmm....excuse me, but --

the official language of the United States is English...

At the very least, let's not forget that please.

Edit to add:
I realize that technically at the Federal level there is no official language, but let's not start saying we don't have one. English has always been, and always will be, THE language of the United States. There are still more than 80% of Americans that claim it as their official language.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I agree with you. I have seen a lot of jobs I am 100% qualfied for but since I am not fluent in Spanish I can't apply. I have two part times jobs and disablity. I look all the time for jobs I can do from home. It seems all the jobs that I can do from home or either outsource, I am overqualfied, underqualfied or I must speak Spanish!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak
This has seriously outraged me. Like many people here I am unemployed and have been for some time after being OUTSOURCED to INDIA by the American corporation that I worked for. Now I have been unable to find work for quite some time and still am actively pursuing work. Well today my newest lead was a job agency that I spoke with on the phone and they were attempting to place me in another AMERICAN COMPANY here in NJ but the lady said "oh but you must be fluent in Spanish." And then went on to say that it will be tested in some sort of entrance exam that I am in fact fluent in Spanish in order to take this job.

So, my country America is dying and we are unable to get jobs and the only jobs available are not even obtainable for AMERICANS? In my OWN country I now have to speak a foreign language just to be able to SURVIVE AND FEED MY FAMILY?

I can't STAND the outrageous and maddening transformation that is occurring to my country. I am ready to QUIT and be out of here to somewhere that respects its own citizens.

1) Perhaps the job involves dealing with people who speak Spanish on a regular basis. Many American companies deal with Spanish speakers on a regular basis...and German speakers and Russian and Japanese, etc. The same as many companies in non-English speaking companies hire English speakers.

2) Just because you don't speak Spanish does not mean the job is not available to Americans.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

What is the name of the company so we can see how true this is?

I just find this hard to believe.

To Carseller4

You have just about the whole world learning English, and you are still worried about English being overtaken by Spanish.

Come on over and I'll introduce you to many Hispanics who can't/refuse to speak Spanish.

US doesn't need to make English the national language. English will prevail anyway.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Whatever job you are trying to get likely must have you dealing with a large spanish-speaking customer base. If a company wants to capitalize on this demographic, they have to make them feel welcome. There is no conspiracy there. It is not a bad idea to learn spanish either way. In places like Quebec, you are basically required to be bilingual in order to have any decent job because companies need to cater to both the english and french populations.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Um that is the state of the world, especially if you are applying to an international company. I myself speak four languages, and have been given bonuses, pay raises, and perks because of it.

If you only speak one language, whose fault was that? How would you deal with a customer that doesn;t speak yours? Just walk away?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

If by "official" you mean that there is no "official" laws or rulings of any sort, then yes it is "official".

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
youre misleading people with your title lol.
you did not mention what the scope of the job was that required fluency in spanish.

obviously as an eg, a spanish translator will be required to be able to speak spanish.

i am sorry that you lost your job to india. go back to school?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well,

Relax, you think it is something unusual to need to speak another language?!IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY?! Well wake up and smell the world outside of the U.S. borders!!!It is normal and you better get used to it!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I don't really see it as a big deal..what I do believe is a pretty big deal is that elementary and middle school children aren't required to learn a second language. Most other countries in the world require "other***cough...cough...English**languages"

We are sooooo behind

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
not a bad thing to learn something

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Eint no one forcing you to do that holmes. So they had a fun to your face and forced you to talk spanish? Go apply at mcdonalds dude.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Meh sure are a lot of apologists for it. Well I feel for you man. OF course as long as the job wasn't something like being a translator I think it is BS that you have to know Spanish to get the work. Of course it is bigger BS that you have lost your original job to outsourcing really. Good luck man you like most of us, are gonna need it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
the official language of the United States is English...

No, it isn't.

Back when the colonies were starting up, not everyone spoke english. There were germans, french, dutch, etc. We speak english because we were brought under British rule. We could easily be speaking french right now.

What's so bad about learning a second language anyways? It's extremely useful.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by backwherewestarted

1) Perhaps the job involves dealing with people who speak Spanish on a regular basis. Many American companies deal with Spanish speakers on a regular basis...and German speakers and Russian and Japanese, etc. The same as many companies in non-English speaking companies hire English speakers.

2) Just because you don't speak Spanish does not mean the job is not available to Americans.
You are exactly right, I am an american of Mexican decent. I know English and Spanish on a fluent level and I work at a bank. Every time a customer talks Spanish they ask me to come and help them out. So I think that dude is wrong because I am an american and have that job.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I dont understand YOU DONT SPEAK THE TOUNGE NATIVE TO AMERICA DO YOU???????????? Whats the prob. what if ETS came and the Earth was required to learn their language for saftey reasons would you not learn also????????? PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE, MANY MUST OVERCOME THESE SEPERATION ISSUES TO ADVANCE....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join