It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Outraged! Americans Now Required To Speak Spanish

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist
I support knowing multiple languages, especially those spoken by your neighbors. I think English, Chinese, and Spanish should be mandatory in K-12 schooling.

I'm less angry about the whole 'speaking Spanish' requirement for a job than the whole 'online application personality profile' thing we see today when it comes to applying for 80% of the jobs out there.

I am behind you 100%

I would like to see schools adding a multilingual curriculum; for some at least the children will leave school with something valuable except how to pass the FCAT.

I would love to know who did the sales job on that online personality testing that everyone, it seems, is requiring before hire. That person should be given the Salesman of the Century award. This alone tells me just how gullible and how little thought goes into decisions made on the corporate level.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
There would be MORE jobs if each person had a job - one who spoke each language as each could handle a different speaking person.

Example would be if a person spoke spanish as above then they could get sent to jsut a spanish speaking person = 1 job, same with english,german, etc and each could have their own departments, and within each company a few who speak many languages to communicate back and forth and between departments as I do hope many of u get my drift.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Sorry for your misfortune but we now live in a global economy.

This rings of the threads pointing how the Anglo Saxons in the US are soon to become a minority.

Statistically it is inevitable.

Lest we forget that More people probably speak Spanish in America (North and South) than even English.
Look at all of the Spanish speaking countries south of our Border.

Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador,Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Columbia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile .....and the list goes on.

That's why our High School teachers would tell us that you might just need to know this for your job in the working world one day !

But Kids don't listen, especially to their teachers !

I would take this as a hint and make sure your kids study a foreign language to avoid the the predicament that you are currently facing.

We live in a constantly evolving world !

Adios !

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This may sound harsh but, you live in America. The language you speak every single day is not your own, so why should you be outraged when a company reuqests that you speak another language to work there?
You do not live in England yet speak English...so do spanish speaking people in America have the same right to be outraged if they can't get a job because they don't speak English?

Again that may sound harsh, and I do feel for you, but I just don't feel you have any grounds to complain because it isn't even YOUR language that is being denied.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
You'll get over it. Just like many other races of people had to forcibly learn another language or be murdered to follow their religion.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join