It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was the scariest video game you ever played?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Americantrucker

I lent it out to a co-worker/friend. He told me that since playing Dead Space, he has lost sleep over the game freaking him out, plus he is back to sleeping with the lights on. I'm telling you, that game makes you feel claustrophobic for some reason. Great game tho.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The scariest game i have ever played used to be the project zero/ fatal frame series. That was until i played Amnesia: the dark descent, it has some realy tense and frightening moments.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 13-10-2010 by matthius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
i was probably 10 or 11 when i played the first resident evil....scared the #$% out of me...when you encounter the first zombie and he's munching down on that dude and turns his head around. back to gameplay. i didnt even want to shoot i just tried to run. then when it's all quit and your walking through the room with the windows and the dogs come through the windows..i might have pooped a little on that one....needless to say i couldnt play the game anymore. not to mention i was home alone in pitch black with only my computer screen lighting my surroundings...probably didnt help

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I say All the FEAR games were scary for me. Try playing them in the dark all alone. and the sound full blast.

You'll crap yourself.
edit on 18-10-2010 by DoGBiTe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I would have to say that left 4 dead is the scariest game I have played. I feel that the graphics when shooting is bloody and make me feel a bit odd. The stronger monsters also have the scary look, not to mention the characters I played as are rather lifelike, and if something got my character I feel scared that has nothing to do with the thought of losing the game.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by WorstCaseScenario

Not my Vid but Just for a laugh and cos its a few years later I recently got a copy of Doom 3 for my laptop and finished it. It still scared the carp outta me. So bloody jumpy but saying that, the second time round was more fun, I found a few more secrets, beat all the bosses in record time and had fun doing so, I highly recommend the game.
Best tactics are: 5 steps forward, 7 steps back, SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT. Be careful with ammo tho cos you'll only run out and end up with grenades and that equals suicide most of the time. I'm gonna do it again but this time I'm gonna stick to Pistol, Shotgun and Soulcube. Wish me luck!!!!!
edit on 25/10/10 by WorstCaseScenario because: (no reason given)

edit on 25/10/10 by WorstCaseScenario because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
No ones mentioned Alone in the Dark?.. for shame, sure it was damn primitive by todays standards, but all this talk of RE1 being some how ground breaking when AitD did it a number of years before RE1.

That game knew how to setup some great camera angles that setup the sudden monster reveals real well... and you cant better for a setting than an old Victorian house with nothing but a shotgun and old sabre for a weapon and numerous Cthullu inspired nasties stalking you where ever you go.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I don't know about scariest, because that's largely dependent on age & imagination level. For example, the stages leading up to the cyber demon in Doom scared the crap out of me when I was 12 and playing the game in the pitch darkness of my bedroom. Would I call Doom the "scariest game I've ever played" today? No, because it just isn't that scary a game anymore. I will list a couple of games or moments in a game that have startled me, a couple to the point of shutting it down for the night.

1. Fatal Frame 2... I was enjoying the game, getting a nice creeped out feeling when it happened. My filament on the camera started glowing, so I looked around to see where the photo op was. It seemed to lead to the window, outside of which I could see a well and a tree. As I was looking through the camera lens, the little Japanese ghost kid's face popped up into the window. This was and remains the only time in my life when I've been sober and screamed from being startled. The Xbox was turned off and the lights were turned on quite quickly.

2. RE1: The dogs crashing through the window get me everytime.

3. Bioshock: Those damn manequins. Same with Condemned. I freaking hate manequins. Also in Bioshock, there one area where I was grabbing something off a desk, turned around, and a damn carnival masked splicer had dropped down behind me and was standing there. Great use of suspense and occassional jumps by the programmers on that game.

4. Deadspace: Again, general feeling of suspense & despair permeates the game.

5. Dead Rising/Left4Dead/Zombie games in general: OK, zombies are my thing. I love zombie movies (DotD remake style being my preferred take on the genre, but gotta give respect to the classic Romero style, too.) I have learned that if I play a game like Dead Rising I tend to completely lose track of the game's objectives as well as of myself. I will eventually allow myself to get a bad case of the heebie jeebies and will almost always have awesome nightmares that night.

Just for contrast: Supposedly "scary" games that missed, IMO.
1. F.E.A.R. This could have been everything it tried to be and, in honesty, it was very close. One MAJOR problem, don't put your check points immediately before every appearance of the creepy little dead girl! It killed the suspense because you always knew the girl was just around the corner when that "saving: do not turn off console" message popped up in the corner.
2. Silent Hill: Disturbing isn't scary. SH is disturbing (and don't get me wrong, I love the series to death) but it never crossed the threshold. Same with Clock Tower, Alan Wake, Shadowman, and even The Suffering.
3. Siren: I had issues with this game. The mechanics of it just bored the hell out of me and I ultimately decided not to waste any more time on it. I can see where someone who wasn't frustrated with the pace & mechanics could allow themselves to get immersed and really enjoy the game, however. Unfortunately, that wasn't me.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
ROGUE SQUADRON. 3D.

took me 4 months to get all 19 levels at gold and then go on to complete all of the three bonus games.

tougher than a PHD.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by scraze

The Penumbra series was great!! Frictional Games has a new one out called Amnesia. Veryyyy creepy.

Probably the creepiest I've played yet! They need to get on some Clive Barker games

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3. all 3 are some of the best games EVER

best story
best scare tactics
best in originality

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

This.

Amnesia is one of the most intense games I have ever played.

I also was a little creeped out by Silent Hill 1 and Clive Barkers Undying.

Lets also not forget System Shock 2 and Doom 3.
edit on 2-12-2010 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2010 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
not sure if it has been mentioned, but clock tower really scared me when i was younger. it was a point and click game with limited movement and you were constantly pursued by 'scissorman', a maniac wield extremely large hedge shears that could tear you apart at any moment. loved it!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
project zero was scary, it would've been ok if she had a shotgun instead of a camera.
doom 3 was good too, if a little predictable.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Clock Tower 3;
You're (outside of bossfights) an utterly defenseless schoolgirl and have to hide in the surroundings as serial killers wander around trying to catch and butcher you. I think you also travel time or something, so the settings are pretty haunting. If I'm getting it wrong, sorry, I haven't played CT3 since it was released.

Eternal Darkness:
Seriously, this game is a mindscrewer, haha. Everything about this game is awesome and creepy. I would love for another game like it (or to get my hands on it again).

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
i would definitely say resident evil 2, the double disc, also doom was terrifying when you are having to move around in the pitch dark with just your flashlight and then you come up on some creature and you have to put the flashlight up to kill it... also, i have noticed fallout (in the subways and caves alot) and elder scrolls (morrowind and oblivion) have the ability to make me jump from time to time.. silent hill was pretty good too, and there is something else that is escaping me right now... i'm sure i'll think of it eventually..

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
oh i just thought of it!! and of course i can't think of the name of it... all i remember is you play a young asian girl who is trapped in a village, and you are taking pictures with a camera, and when you take the pictures you can capture the soul of ghosts... omg someone please help me to remember what this is called!!! i also remember butterflies in it... and a younger sister... d.mn it!!

FATAL FRAME II CRIMSON BUTTERFLY!!!
that's it!!! i am pretty sure this rates as the most terrifying game i've ever played, the way you have to use your camera in order to see the ghosts and capture their spirits... wonderful... i love games like this
edit on 8-12-2010 by schitzoandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It'd have to be F.E.A.R 2...not really ALL that scary, but some of the levels are plain eerie, and not to get too informational, they make your sphincter clinch pretty hard

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoGBiTe
I say All the FEAR games were scary for me. Try playing them in the dark all alone. and the sound full blast.

You'll crap yourself.
edit on 18-10-2010 by DoGBiTe because: (no reason given)

I did that...except it was me and my friend, in a dark room, no one else is home, and it was pretty rainy and windy outside, so the sounds of the game + the storm sounds, were literally enough to make both of us s**t a brick...TWO TIMES

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I'm not really into the survival horror genre, but "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" was an experience both for the gamer in me, as for being a fan of HPL's output.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join