It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screen on the Green aftermath: Only one incident reported to police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Screen on the Green aftermath: Only one incident reported to police 

m.ajc.com

Dozens of eyewitnesses from last Thursday's Screen on the Green at Piedmont Park offered similar accounts of unruly -- and sometimes  violent -- teens taking over the event with little resistance from security officers. But only one incident related to the fracas was reported to authorities, police say
(visit the link for the full news article)

Headline must be the same as the quoted article.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by gallopinghordes]

[edit on 14-6-2010 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This isn't the actual title of any news story, however it accurately describes what the following articles report.

Basically on June 17th there will be  a movie showing in piedmont park in Atlanta.  The last one on June 7th erupted in an all out brawl... Started by just a few fights, and turned into a crime spree of sorts.... The articles describe the situation and seem to blame it on more youth than expected showing up and only 23 off duty police for security...

Man beaten after Screen on the Green

Eyaso Abebe said a group of people attacked and robbed him Thursday as he left Screen on the Green. Abebe said the group stole his wallet and cell phone.

Here is a different story which talks about two completely different attacks...

m.ajc.com...

Dozens of eyewitnesses from last Thursday's Screen on the Green at Piedmont Park offered similar accounts of unruly -- and sometimes  violent -- teens taking over the event with little resistance from security officers. But only one incident related to the fracas was reported to authorities, police say.

In another incident a jeep was jumped while they were just driving by the park.

Josh Hice, 26, of Newnan, said he was driving by Piedmont Park Thursday night with a friend when they were attacked by a group of teens leaving Screen on the Green. One punched him in the face, he said.

"It split my lip, then they start climbing all over my Jeep, and I turn around and my buddy is getting punched in the face and has blood pouring out of his nose," said Hice, who thinks he and his friend were targeted by the black teens because they are white. "We were definitely victims of a hate crime."

So now they are adding the addition of more security... But they decline to say how many 

On duty cops bolster security for Screen on the Green

"The new public safety plan incorporates increased security personnel, including on-duty and off-duty Atlanta police officers and staffers from a private security firm that regularly handles events in Piedmont Park," said a release from Mayor Kasim Reed's office. "In addition, representatives from MARTA Police and Midtown Blue are participating in this coordinated effort."

Also, there is some new initiatives being aimed at the youth of Atlanta

In addition to the enhanced safety measures, Reed and interim Police Chief George Turner will preside over a town hall meeting Tuesday night to launch the "Respect Yourself, Respect the ‘A'" initiative, which is aimed at reaching the rowdy youth blamed for disrupting previous Screens on the Green. The meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. at City Hall.

More details, but still no numbers can be found here...
www.11alive.com...

m.ajc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I don't want to be the one but uh Atlanta is CRAZY!!! Those were children of teen mothers who are now in their thirties and NOT doing a good job at parenting.

I don't know why but ATL is one of the craziest places to be. It always seems like a hit or miss kind of scenario. Either you have a festival where everyone is getting robbed groped and beaten OR you have a festival where everyone is getting along and partying.

I truly do wish I could add more of my opinion here but meh...save it for another day.

If you live in Atlanta you should know "what time of day" it is before you even go to one of these events.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Our company was about to move there we were supposed to build a 40 million dollar engineering campus and world headquarters. Even with the bad economy less than 20% of the people would move with the company. To move they would have had to hire nearly 5 thousand new people. they have the land up for sale and just built a 10 million dollar golf course and resort for the employees and families. I just might learn how to golf

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

Whoa... That wasn't NCR was it?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
We moved from ATL because of the crime........Guess where we moved....

The Gulf Coast of Florida!!!!!! damn, sold my hazmat suit....

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
You know what, I'm to the point where I don't give a sh_t any more. I'm tired of all the bad news everyday and all the scare tactics. I say to hell with the media and I'm ignoring all bs. If no one was killed, good! If someone was killed, find them, take them to trial. Doesn't concern me. All of a sudden it seems like the world is going to hell in a handbasket lately but when I step outside it's a bright, sunny day. Who's bull sh_tting who? (sorry, bad day at work)

[edit on 14-6-2010 by KrispyB]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by KrispyB

You can only stick your head in the sand for so long. Eventually the tide comes up.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This is why I stay out of Atlanta. That place is a waste of both space and resources. I went to a meeting in a studio that was supposed to be in a "nice part of town."

There were people openly selling drugs in a parking lot across the street while cops sat in their cruiser less than a block away. One of the other participants in the meeting was robbed in his hotel parking lot that night. Another guy that works at the studio was pistol whipped and robbed the following day. They thought he was carrying bank deposits for the studio. The only thing he was carrying was an Ipod and headphones.

A friend of mine was going to film part of his short film in Atlanta. The gangs in the neighborhood all demanded payment for using their "block". He went to the police department to hire security for the shoot. When he told them about the threats the police said "it would probably be a good idea to pay." He decided to film in another city.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
They are going to jump the wrong crazy white guy before too long, and they will quickly learn this isn't the zoo.

Gang mentality, they feel above the law since APD is overloaded. They will selectively target who they attack; they probably punch the feminine gay men from mid town; but they will walk right on past a formidable opponent.

[edit on 14/6/10 by xstealth]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
(In response to TeddiRevolution) : That's very true. I guess I failed to mention I feel that if all this talk about bad things happening and things to come are beyond anyones control, why get all upset every day about it and make it worse by passing the news along and blowing it out of proportion. If one person says, "I saw a meteorite it's not news. If a hundred say they saw it, it makes the news and all of a sudden it's a big deal. Get my meaning??? I failed to make that point earlier. Maybe this just wasn't the best place for me to visit today, all the negative energy fkg. with me. I'll be adjusted tomorrow. Cuppa joe and back in the saddle!

[edit on 14-6-2010 by KrispyB]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

I went to Atlanta once, I got spooked!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
This is why I stay out of Atlanta. That place is a waste of both space and resources. I went to a meeting in a studio that was supposed to be in a "nice part of town."

There were people openly selling drugs in a parking lot across the street while cops sat in their cruiser less than a block away. One of the other participants in the meeting was robbed in his hotel parking lot that night. Another guy that works at the studio was pistol whipped and robbed the following day. They thought he was carrying bank deposits for the studio. The only thing he was carrying was an Ipod and headphones.

As a rapper who records in studios all across Atlanta... This is pretty much on par with all of my experiences... You can see people selling weed in many areas.. Which of itself I've never seen turn to violence...

I've been lucky enough to not have any run ins... And ill be the first to say that I've never had any issue with the hip hop community in Atlanta.... But artists... Specifically those with visible wealth, are targeted by those outside the music industry...

The incidents you speak of were on the local news...

A friend of mine was going to film part of his short film in Atlanta. The gangs in the neighborhood all demanded payment for using their "block". He went to the police department to hire security for the shoot. When he told them about the threats the police said "it would probably be a good idea to pay." He decided to film in another city.

Out of curiosity what... Kind of movie was it? And what area he was trying to film in? And do you know about when this happened? Im just trying to correlate it with other local events.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It was right before the economic crash. He was trying to film in Bank Head I believe. He went out to scout locations and in different areas different people came up to him. Several of them claimed to be OGs, shot callers, and other lifers. They all demanded he cough up cash or they would make sure he had problems during filming.

new topics

top topics

join