It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coconut water....'Natures Gatorade'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

Oh, absolutely we will follow the doctor's orders, don't worry lol. She told us to find abundant natural sources of potassium for our diet, so this can be a component of that effort.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I don't like the taste of coconut or coconut milk - is there a way to make it taste better - if not guess I will stick to soy products.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Coconut products are amazing.

Coconut oil works best for cooking and as a topical skin product, and hair.

Coconut butter....mmmm, has a great taste. You can even make coconut ghee.

Coconut milk is shreaded coconut meat and water that is squeezed through a cheesecloth. This stuff is awesome. I use it mainly for a base in my protein shakes.

Coconut flour is good to make coconut bread and other baked goods as an healthy alternative to white flour.

Coconut cream is coconut milk without all the water.

And shreaded coconut is can be added to all kinds of dishes.

But why is this such a superfood? Coconut products, specifically the oil, all have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. They help normalize blood lipids. The medium-chain fatty acids do wonders. Contrary to popular belief, the saturated fat in coconuts, the majority of which is lauric acid, is NOT harmful but rather is extremely benefitial.

If you ask me, this is one of the world's top 10 superfoods.

-Dev

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

does have some amazing properties (the pure milk) other than wheat grass juice, if memory serves me right can also be used as an alternative plasma, again if memory serves me right-but the one thing I really noticed was when I was taking extra virgin oil and seems it melted away excess almost overnight even though a small amount (haha) WITH a huge boost in metabolism feels kinda highschoolish again almost 40 ya know-YEA BABY!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Coconut water is amazing. I experienced firsthand the medicinal benefits of it. Yesterday morning after a long night, I came across a coconut and fruit vendor. He was offering fresh coconuts, and would cut it so you could drink the water inside. It tasted amazing and slightly carbonated.

After I drank two of them, I felt greatly replenished and hydrated. Coconuts are a great thing.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

Except....

... I live in the UK

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

Ahhhh, that does suck but the premise is still the same. You guys have citrus and tropical fruits imported on a regular basis whether u buy that coconut or not so why wouldnt u use them? That carbon foot print is being made regardless of what ur choosing to eat. Do u ever eat bananas, oranges, lemons, pineapples? Even ur potatoes are imported when urs arent in season. If u consume any of these products not using coconuts doesnt make sense.
Concerning my statement- I said that drinking the water straight from the source and not using plastic 'reduces' ur carbon footprint. I didnt say it would eliminate completely.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
What you say is indeed very true and a reason that I can always justify as these perishable items will just be wasted if not consumed.

As for fruit and veg. I try to source locally where ever possible or from my own garden... But the odd Banana or Orange does sneak past occasionally

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hey cool, I just bought some coconuts a few nights ago cuz they were only 99c at the store! Thanks for all this great info. I must admit though, the coconut water tastes kind of nasty imo, but I know its good for me so I drink it.

Never seen a green coconut though? hmm i'll search for it!

Thanks for the thread!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I acquired some coconuts yesterday as planned. The water tasted great! They were a bit pricey at $2.00 USD per coconut, but it was worth trying. They have some canned for only 99 cents (still no cholesterol, and says it's natural,) so I may get that instead in the future.

I'm happy to have been exposed to a new healthy source of potassium and hydration.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It may be good, but too much could be a bad thing. When you have too much, it acts as a laxative. I saw this in an army survival manual.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

When we were in Hawaii, we found a street vendor at the farmers market that had fresh cold ones he would split open. I had never had one before and it was not as I expected. It was bad, but I think I would want to mix something with it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

$2 isn't pricey unless you're buying coconuts simply for the water. If you're eating the meat as well then you're definitely getting your money's worth.

-Dev

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
not sure if this had already been asked but would coconut oil have the same benefits?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You guys have no idea, the coconut water is just the beginning! coconut milk is also great for you and so is the oil that comes from the milk.

I take a tbsp of organic virigin cold pressed coconut oil everyday and I cook it with everything. Since coconut oils have special pre-digested saturated fats, your body doesn't have to work hard to digest them, they're instant energy as soon as you consume them and also raises your body temperature level to give you a metabolic boost. I also rub the coconut oil on my face and body for moisturization, it has helped with acne and dry/irritate skin rash. It is anti-microbial, anti-parasitic and anti-everything bad (not really).

Coconuts are really natures answer to many things and I hope more and more people start to discover the benefits of Coconuts.

Just look at people in the Polynesian Islands, where they've been using coconut for all aspects of their daily lives, they spend so much time in the sun but they don't develop skin cancer like we do, they are very healthy and don't have parasitic bacteria in their bodies.

I really have to give it up to ATS, the information found here has really changed my life and caused me to do more and more research on my own and has begun to change my life for the better.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusioned2
not sure if this had already been asked but would coconut oil have the same benefits?
yes, the oil has same benefits

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Just wanted to report that this actually helped me out in a practical way yesterday.

I live in the Bay Area in CA, and it never, ever gets hot here in the summer usually. Once in a great while we will have a heat wave (which is what we call temperatures most people find enjoyable, like 80 degrees or less lol.) We are very unadapted to heat.

So yesterday when it got up to 99 indoors here (we have no air conditioning) we were really suffering, and really worried about dehydration. We got a bunch of coconuts and drank the juice from them, and it really helped us get through the day. It definitely made me feel similarly to how I feel when I drink pedialyte (pedialyte works better than gatorade in my experience.)

So thanks for the info!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I've got a friend who grows marijuana in coconut husks instead of soil and his plants get to 8-10 feet..I think its called the coco-pierre method or something like that.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I have been mad at coconuts for a while now. A few months ago my mom bought a coconut - a brown, hairy one. We had never tried "fresh" coconut so we wanted to give it a go. We got home and had the conundrum of opening the dang thing. My mom grabs a hammer and I set the coconut on the counter and start wacking it. My mom takes the hammer from me, says, "YOU GOTTA WACK IT HARDER!" moves it onto the newly bought glass top stove and starts banging the crap out of it. We hear a large cracking noise and quickly realized that the brand new stove top has been shattered. I learned three things that day.

1. We are idiots.
2. Coconuts are evil.
3. Coconut water tastes gross.

All that work and we didn't even like the juice. I guess I'm so used to having sweet coconut drinks that I assumed it would be sweet.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Lol I nearly had the same experience. What I ended up doing was using a screwdriver like an ice pick, and hammering it gently until it penetrated into the core. Then I tried pouring the juice out, but it wouldn't come. So then I dimly remembered something about physics and the path of least resistance, and made a hole a little more than 90 degrees to the other side of the thing, and it released the pressure and allowed it to flow now that there was an air hole lol.

The best kind to get for drinking, I find, are the ones marked "young coconuts," and which comes with the hairy husk already removed. You can shake them to hear which ones have the most fluid and hollow space in them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join