It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to cover costs of Abby Sunderland's rescue

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Agreed. Even if they were NOT filthy rich, they should be forced to sell their home and liquidate whatever assets they have and foot the bill. And little Abby should have to pledge every dime she every makes off this story to the bill as well.

I believe in going on adventures, and living your dream. But when you roll the dice you should also be prepared to pay the consequences. Australia should not have to foot the bill for her adventure. Her family should.

Edit, spelling, grammar, general stupidity.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

MBF

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I wonder why they charter a commercial plane instead of just sending a military plane. If the fishermen are close, that wouldn't much of a cost. They just need to tell her that she was just going to have to wait until they get finished fishing before she gets land.

link   
HA.. your not even a parent yet..

tell ya what.. in 1 year, after spending some time with your kid..
come back and tell us if you still feel the same way..

(liek I said in the original thread about her)
my 9 year old son wants to drive my 4x4 across country.. he CAN drive..
but am I going to let him.. because he does LOVE to drive..

link   

Originally posted by The Theorist
I keep reading about how her parents are irresponsible and how they're 'rich'. I find both comments completely stupid.

Well they've got a yacht that makes them rich. When I was 16 my parent (singular) couldn't buy me a pair of shoes let alone a yacht worthy enough to sail around the globe in.

If I wanted anything I had to go to work to get it.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

Good post.

Now for the complainers; The total population of Australia is approx 22milion people, lets say only 25% pay tax ok, that 5.5 million people.

This means that if a just 25% of Australia's population paid 1 cent each they'd have five times the amount of money needed to cover the costs.

As I said, other countries have reciprocal agreements as well.

Stop being such tight asses.

Besides, it looks like the parents have offered to pay anyway and have been declined. What the hell are people still whinging for? Idiots.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by KATSUO
HA.. your not even a parent yet..

tell ya what.. in 1 year, after spending some time with your kid..
come back and tell us if you still feel the same way..

(liek I said in the original thread about her)
my 9 year old son wants to drive my 4x4 across country.. he CAN drive..
but am I going to let him.. because he does LOVE to drive..

Are you saying that I'm not a parent? I have two children and unlike some, I take my responsibility seriously. I have to teach my children not to burden others and if they f@!^* up, then it will be my responsibility to cover the costs.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Like I said, it's estimated at roughly a $6,000 bill. Not VERY big, you know? Also ... your entire post needs to be modified for 'general stupidity'. Read the entire thread before commenting. They offered to foot the bill; the Aussie government insisted that they would instead.

reply to post by KATSUO

I've been around children most of my life, and my opinion has yet to change. Compounded by the fact that I was raised this way by my own parents, and it's unlikely to. Also, you should double-check your spelling before you post. Proofreading is a great thing. Just sayin'.

reply to post by belial259

I own a nice RV, and live like a Gypsy. I'm not rich. I work from home and by doing odd jobs wherever I stop. My wife does the same. We have enough money to buy a Yacht, yet we choose not to. You can buy a very nice used sailing yacht for about $50,000 and restore it for roughly another $20,000.

Remember, ABBY HAD A SPONSOR and said that without said SPONSOR, this would've never been possible for her.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

250,000? that's a lot of money for people like me, and if you can afford that you'd have to be rich, thats like driving a ferrari.

Come on, everyone knows Ferrari's aren't 60ft long.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
There was just a brief snippet on the news:

That her father supposedly forced repairs to the vessel, making them hurry as to ensure her departure from cape town was quick so she would be in position to win the solo voyage navigation.

So after all the Dad might be a little more responsible than I had thought!

Sheesh if that is true what jerk!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?
This means that if a just 25% of Australia's population paid 1 cent each they'd have five times the amount of money needed to cover the costs.

Hello? Global economic crisis? Double dip? We don't have the money to waste on this stupid kid, who quite frankly I wish I'd never heard of and don't care if she lives or dies. Provided I don't have to hear about her anymore.

That money is for Australians. Not spoilt rich kids. And just because she's white doesn't mean she isn't a foreigner in a boat in our waters. She wants to be saved by Australia she can spend the next few years in Christmas Island with the rest of them.

Just another person that comes here expecting a free lunch. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by theability

The MAST was torn from the boat. It was RIPPED OUT by 60+knot winds! Could have happened to a BRAND NEW yacht, for your information.

Do you honestly think her parents would've let her go if they didn't feel comfortable with the whole picture? THESE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN AROUND THESE BOATS FOR YEARS. Abby grew up on one, practically.

There's that 'rich' comment again. Is it just me or is the overall post-quality declining alongside the economy while the mere ignorance of people increase alongside the oil spill in the Gulf?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

So some un-known so-called forced repairs made the boat capsize? It wasn't the 60knot winds or 7 metre sea's then?

There's some dumb assumptions being made here lol.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

You can buy a very nice used sailing yacht for about $50,000 and restore it for roughly another $20,000.

The vessel Wild Eyes' worth estimate is $150K now not when they bought it!

source

[edit on 13-6-2010 by theability]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

You ignorant fool, the Indian Ocean isn't Australian waters FFS. With your view everyone who needs help should be ignored because of costs.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
BTW the boat was made in Australia, maybe that is the reason why they footed the bill?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I did read the thread. I still stand by what I said. You put your child in a boat, to go sail around the world, against the good advice of many, you should foot the bill.

And as for editing YOUR post for stupidity, you are dead wrong that there is not much difference in the 2 years between 16 and 18 in maturity. The brains pre-frontal cortex is not fully formed until the early 20's, and that is the rational decision making part of the brain. Every year helps.

There is a reason we dont allow children under the age of 18 to do some "adult" things, and in truth, if we followed the actual science, the age should be raised to at the very least 21.

Not only should her parents and she have to foot the bill, but I also agree with those who say the parents should be charged with endangerment. We charge parents with that for far, far less dangerous things than what she was attempting.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Is it just me or is the overall post-quality declining alongside the economy while the mere ignorance of people increase alongside the oil spill in the Gulf?

You mean it has declined significantly in the whole couple weeks you have been a member?

Lol.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

So some un-known so-called forced repairs made the boat capsize? It wasn't the 60knot winds or 7 metre sea's then?

There's some dumb assumptions being made here lol.

Both auto-pilots failed before she could round the cape town horn and she had to stop in Capetown Africa for repairs making her non-stop journey a no go.

That is what I was referring to about her Dad. Then she sailed into the Indian Ocean.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Interesting read. It was a nice yacht, that's for sure. No doubt about it. Remember though that she had a few sponsors and that even her parents admitted that without sponsorship, this would've never been possible.

The Yacht she was in was higher quality one. Nobody is going to sit here and argue that.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Is it just me or is the overall post-quality declining alongside the economy while the mere ignorance of people increase alongside the oil spill in the Gulf?

You mean it has declined significantly in the whole couple weeks you have been a member?

Lol.

Yeah. Pretty much.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join