It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to cover costs of Abby Sunderland's rescue

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
WTF!!!

Us again?!!

Thats ridiculous, this isnt the first time we have had to front costs for international sailors. We had to rescue that stupid french woman twice and paid costs for it...now we have to do it for an American?

The parents should pay us back

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 12/6/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
Sailing is a wordwide community that comes to the aid of someone in distress because the ocean can kill. You "city boys" are too femanized to understand...

Travelling is a worldwide community that comes to the aid of someone in distress because travelling can kill. If I choose to travel to the USA, then I will purchase travel insurance that will cover unforseen, emergency expenses. I don't want to be a financial burden upon my rescuers or be faced with a huge bill, if things go wrong. You "salts of the sea" don't understand what it means to be responsible for your own actions.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by tezzajw]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by KATSUO

ever heard of the phrase apples to oranges?
there is absolutely zero comparison there..
if she were endangering her own life (as an 18 year old adult that is ultimately responsible for her own actions) and not involving a search party. yes..
but no.. how many tens of dozens of people were out searching for her day and night and only returning for fuel..
apples to oranges

Get real its not apples to oranges, the fact is you can't save anyone from death! Not even your children

Now if you think otherwise your in real denial!

I'd rather give my child a dream at 16 than have her regret me the rest of her life till she is 99, including if she might die!

BTW she's alive and she's fine, not only that she is one heck of a boat captain!

My my. I agree with Airspoon the parents should pay, but Australia isn't pushing the issue because our state department asked for a favor it is that simple.

MBF

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
First of all, the parents are stupid to allow a child to undertake a task like this and should be held accountable. Second, why is everybody saying so and so should have to pay for this rescue or whatever. That is what the people are there for, that is their job, that is what they are paid to do. How much does it cost to train them and to perform training exercises on a regular basis? Really, the only cost is the fuel to perform the act. The people are already being paid as part of their regular job.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Haha ya got it the wrong way round, "Us Salts Of The Sea" as you put it, absolutely are responsible for our actions, more so than most land lubbers. Our actions at sea directly determine if we are to live or not from moment to moment.

Back to the topic at hand a couple of points, its not a search, they know where she is, her position was determined by the EPIRB she set off. The signal was received by an overhead Quantas flight.
At 16 years, your old enough to have a child, get married or get killed serving as a soldier yet some of you don't think she should be allowed to go boating?
How very cotton wool wrapping of our kids society has become. Children and young adults need to do more of this sort of thing and get real life experience, less X-box and PS3 etc.
I'd bet this girl would run circles around most other kids her age with intelligence tests, general life skills and common sense.

As to the bill, most countries have reciprocal maritime rescue agreements we wouldn't want the rescue services of Australia to turn out like the US hospital system, ya know where if you have an accident you won't be treated until you can prove you can afford said life saving treatment. Or they'll cut your leg off because its cheaper than trying to save it.

So to sum up no, she shouldn't have to pay in my view.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
If it was so illegal to have teenages, IE underage kids traveling around the world then why are there so many attempts?

Youngest circumnavigator

Fact is the USA government doesn't care so why should you all?

Its not child endangerment, its called TAKING A CHANCE!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

At 16 years, your old enough to have a child, get married or get killed serving as a soldier yet some of you don't think she should be allowed to go boating?

First off, what country allows a 16 y/o to be a soldier? Also, I don't think most people, including myself and this thread, are saying that they would stop the child from doing it, only that the tax-payers shouldn't have to shoulder the burden.

Was it stupid to allow your child to partake in such a dangerous endeavor? Absolutely, though it's really up to her parents only as it's their responsibility. However, when she fails at that task, as she did, the tax-payers should not be held responsible. It should be her parents that are held responsible. Maybe a more experienced sailor wouldn't need the rescuing.

--airspoon

reply to post by MBF

Second, why is everybody saying so and so should have to pay for this rescue or whatever. That is what the people are there for, that is their job, that is what they are paid to do. How much does it cost to train them and to perform training exercises on a regular basis? Really, the only cost is the fuel to perform the act. The people are already being paid as part of their regular job.

It's not just the cost of the fuel, nor the rescuers. They chartered a commercial Quantus aircraft to fix her position and then fishermen are risking their lives to perform the rescue. Do you know how much it costs to charter a commercial aircraft at the last minute? Just a regular ticket is bad enough these days. Also, rest assured that these fishermen will be turning in their expenses to the government. all together, this operation won't be cheap.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by KATSUO
not only should the parents be paying the bill..

they should be charged with child endangerment..

My sentiment precisely. It is absolutely infuriating for me to think that my tax dollars are funding this. If her family are rich enough to buy a boat and send her out there then they should be rich enough to get her back on their dime. Did they not even consider this as a possible outcome and devise a contingency plan? They should have been made to row out and rescue her themselves....

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ovenden

My sentiment precisely. It is absolutely infuriating for me to think that my tax dollars are funding this. If her family are rich enough to buy a boat and send her out there then they should be rich enough to get her back on their dime. Did they not even consider this as a possible outcome and devise a contingency plan? They should have been made to row out and rescue her themselves....

If I were Aussie, I'd be more worried about things that are important, like the government censoring my internet. You've got real problems there.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by theability

I don't care that this child went on this adventure so much as I care that the tax-payers have to shoulder the burden, especially seeing how this family is so "well-off". While some families are working three and four jobs to put food on the table and pay taxes (some can't even put food on the table yet still have to pay taxes), this family has enough to purchase multi-million dollar vessels for their children, only to burden the tax-payers with the rescue of their children for pointless endeavors. You want to send your child off to circum-navigate the planet? Fine, but don't expect me to pay for it when they fail.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incubus

Originally posted by ovenden

If I were Aussie, I'd be more worried about things that are important, like the government censoring my internet. You've got real problems there.

One issue at a time please

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Airspoon:

You and I agree completely. I had posted the information for others that think letting her go is endangerment to the child. Its the parents choice and they had made it.

I definitely think that the parents should have had rescue insurance or the sorts. They should pay the bill!

Do they have that for sailing around the world?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Why not force the stupid family to foot the bill, since it was their stupidity to begin with?

Or even better, why not just stop talking about her, and let her die.

That works for me too. I'm so sick of this girl or whatever she's like Justin Bieber. I turn on the TV. I see her there on the news in between them plugging the Ipad and generally not covering anything anyone with a brain would watch.

And then I turn it off. And until they can stop putting moronic things on there I'm not turning it back on. So if they want to keep losing revenues then by all means keep drone on about this mindless dross channel 7, 9 and 10 because nobody watches you anymore. Your content is massive fail.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
hypothetical..

16 year old get in a car crash
-call 911 ambulance come.. take her (and any others) to the hospital..
INSURANCE receives a bill..
then PARENTS receive a bill for the outstanding balance..

ANY collateral damage to her car, others car, property lost time at work
will also get pursued in court..
in the end.. her parents / insurance foot the bill.

apples to oranges brother...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I keep reading about how her parents are irresponsible and how they're 'rich'. I find both comments completely stupid.

Her brother sailed around the world successfully. He was her age when he did. 16 years old is practically an adult. Two years is not going to make any significant difference in maturity. She knew what she was doing, had a though-oh understanding of the entire thing, and was well prepared. She has been around boats her ENTIRE LIFE.

Furthermore, what happened to her would've happened to ANY SAILOR on that type of boat. The wind caught the sail and ripped the mast out of the deck. Why don't you people fully read her official blog from the beginning to end before commenting?

Her parents are not 'rich' from what I can tell. They're simply upper middle class people by American standards. They are not millionaires.

Before you people comment about something, you should fully understand all facts. ABBY wanted this. SHE wanted to do this. She WAS GOING TO DO IT no matter what. Her parents trusted her, and did everything they could to make it as safe for her as possible.

The parents have OFFERED to cover any costs associated with her rescue, which is estimated at between $6,000-$10,000. The people involved have DECLINED.

Before you people comment, and before you people jump to conclusions, understand all the facts.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

The thing is, it's the fact that the Aussie government insisted they pay the bill and not the parents. My anger is directed at the governemnt mainly...though I do believe the parents are douchebags too

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
Sailing is a wordwide community that comes to the aid of someone in distress because the ocean can kill. You "city boys" are too femanized to understand...

sailing is a worldwide community reserved for rich folks who have nothing better to do but hang out in the ocean with no purpose. once in a while this safe recreational activity can kill you if you're dumb enough to attempt dumb adventures. the beach bunnies of this activity are too femanize to prepare for a real situation. this sport is so manly that a teen girl did not hesitate to sail alone around the world, so manly of her.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by DOADOA]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ovenden

They're douche-bags for encouraging their child (who, technically IS an adult) to embrace something she completely loves?

I have news for you. These are loving parents are good parents. Yeah, Abby could have been killed out there. She could be killed walking down the street, driving a car, hell even by flying in a plane.

Next up, I'll be hearing how allowing your teenagers to mountain climb, hike in the woods, or go diving is irresponsible.

We *have* to allow our children to grow. We *have* to let them take risks. This whole sheltering our children mentality that's taken hold here in America and through-out Europe is ... for lack of a better term, completely stupid.

I'm a soon-to-be father. My wife is going to have a child, soon. I am going to teach my child from a young age about guns, fishing, hiking, and encourage my child to grow. I pity those who do not allow their children the freedom and trust that Abby's parents showed her.

Also, she was fine. You know WHY she was fine? It wasn't a miracle. It was proper understanding of the situation, intelligence, and being prepared.

reply to post by DOADOA

I could buy a brand new 60" Jeanneau sailing yacht for about $250,000. A used one for FAR LESS (which, by the way, Abby was in an OLD YACHT that was RESTORED).

'Reserved For The Rich' ... Yeah, hardly. Get your facts straight, please.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist
reply to post by ovenden

They're douche-bags for encouraging their child (who, technically IS an adult) to embrace something she completely loves?

I have news for you. These are loving parents are good parents. Yeah, Abby could have been killed out there. She could be killed walking down the street, driving a car, hell even by flying in a plane.

Next up, I'll be hearing how allowing your teenagers to mountain climb, hike in the woods, or go diving is irresponsible.

We *have* to allow our children to grow. We *have* to let them take risks. This whole sheltering our children mentality that's taken hold here in America and through-out Europe is ... for lack of a better term, completely stupid.

I'm a soon-to-be father. My wife is going to have a child, soon. I am going to teach my child from a young age about guns, fishing, hiking, and encourage my child to grow. I pity those who do not allow their children the freedom and trust that Abby's parents showed her.

Also, she was fine. You know WHY she was fine? It wasn't a miracle. It was proper understanding of the situation, intelligence, and being prepared.

i agree, they need to know how to react in situations where they are at risk. this is one of the reasons why are soldiers are so ineffective, they have been sheltered all their lives and suddenly thrown into a war zone. no wonder why they have all these mental problems after coming back from iraq.

250,000? that's a lot of money for people like me, and if you can afford that you'd have to be rich, thats like driving a ferrari.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join