It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to cover costs of Abby Sunderland's rescue

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I'm disgusted by many of the posts I have just read. I would not mind my taxes being used to save a little girl. Some of ATS really need to grow up and stop being so selfish.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Everyone's up in arms about a 16 y/o American girl, mostly because she failed.

Nobody bothers talking about the 16 y/o who succeeded in navigating around the world just a few months ago. www.jessicawatson.com.au...

You people need to find something else to gripe about and start giving these young people more credit. I'm willing to bet that not a single one of you who are griping could have made it as far as either of these young women.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Oh stop crying, you've got a health care.

Try living in America, where you pay for your own doctor visits. You'll live.

And more than likely they'll use donations to pay off the rescue, not tax money.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

No, they will actually use taxpayers money, because its the Navy and Maritime Officers that undertake the search and rescue operations.

Government organisations are funded by tax payer money, not kind hearted donations

[edit on 13/6/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

And,

You'll still have health care.

Let me know the next time you spend 3000 dollars out of your own pocket on a ER visit, or 6600$ on your teeth.

Really, let me know.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Yes, we have health care, and that where I want my money to keep going.

Also, why all this "woe is me" talk? Its completely off topic. The thread is not about why you have worse health care than us.....maybe you should re-read the title of it

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I did, and I don't know why you're complaining, your government could be a whole s*#$load off worse using tax dollars on completely useless things, like the USA's does.

They're helping someone, that's what you should be paying the Coast Guard etc to do. If you had gotten stuck out on a boat off the coast of Oregon, how would you like it if we waited for some person to take their sweet time and come and save you?

Get real.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I won't call it stupidity of the parents to allow their daughter to go on world trip but I do agree Australia shouldn't have footed the bill. If the person has skill and training why not, nothing wrong with it imo.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

You dont know anything about our government

And if someone recsued me off the coast of Oregon then that would be fine, but like I said in my first posts on this thread, i would expect my government to foot the bill and pay back whoever rescued me

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012

Oh stop crying, you've got a health care.

Try living in America, where you pay for your own doctor visits. You'll live.

And more than likely they'll use donations to pay off the rescue, not tax money.

I do live in America. Dohhh! Also, I don't have to pay for my health-care, at least not in the sense that your speaking of. Uncle Sam pays that for me, thanks to my untimely service.

Let me know the next time you spend 3000 dollars out of your own pocket on a ER visit, or 6600$ on your teeth.

Really, let me know.

Would you rather force others to pay that for you? Now, I agree that health care HERE in the US is a little over-priced but that doesn't mean that you should force others to pick up the tab for you. The right thing to do, would be to hold government accountable so that the health care industry can't rape any longer. Forcing others to pay is just simply wrong and not really fixing the problem.

What is your point about coming here to whine about your bills? Are you looking for sympathy? I don't get what your dental bill has to do with whether Aussie tax-payers have to foot the bill for an under-aged child who went on an adult's adventure and couldn't hack it.

They're helping someone, that's what you should be paying the Coast Guard etc to do. If you had gotten stuck out on a boat off the coast of Oregon, how would you like it if we waited for some person to take their sweet time and come and save you?

Nobody is saying that the rescue shouldn't have happened or even have been delayed. What people are saying, is that the tax-payer shouldn't have to fit the bill. It would have nothing to do with the speed or performance of the rescue, rather it would be a simple bill afterwards.

If I had gotten stuck off the coast of Oregon because I was unprepared or doing something stupid, I wouldn't expect others to risk their lives to rescue me. I would want to be responsible and show my gratitude by at least covering the costs. In fact, people get billed all of the time for rescues in situations that could have been easily avoidable.

Again, nobody is saying that she shouldn't have been rescued, only that she should have to foot the bill, not everyone else. It wasn't "everyone else" who got her into the situation.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
What a joke.

The parents should be 100% liable for any and all costs of this.

Its just that simple.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elemensa
I'm disgusted by many of the posts I have just read. I would not mind my taxes being used to save a little girl. Some of ATS really need to grow up and stop being so selfish.

Its hardly being selfish. The parents let an underaged girl sail solo around the world. They should be responsable. Im not sayign she should not be rescued but rather, her parents bear responsability PERIOD

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I love that our aussie culture cuts some slack to adventures.. but if this kid turns around and makes a fortune in interviews, product placement or books telling of her ordeal without offering to pay some of the rescue expenses that'd piss me off.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angry Danish

Everyone's up in arms about a 16 y/o American girl, mostly because she failed.

Nobody bothers talking about the 16 y/o who succeeded in navigating around the world just a few months ago. www.jessicawatson.com.au...

Not because she failed.

Jessica Watson is an Australian citizen and her parents are Australian tax payers and she probably is as well. She also did not need to be rescued by the Australian tax payer. If she needed to be rescued that would've been fine as she is guarenteed to give back to Australia and is proud to do so. For all we know she may have had a back up plan.. if she had've gotten into trouble her father probably would have fetched her.

Abby.. who knows what she will do. She may stay in the spotlight for awhile but I suspect with disapear when people start asking her how much she's getting for interviews. It's not the first time we've been stung by tourists treating australia like it's a low cost adventure park.. they live the story, sell it then disapear without compensating those who saved their arses. She should've taken out some sort of insurence and had a back up plan aside from expecting a free ride.

Perhaps there should just be a "we'll rescue your citizens if you rescue ours" deal.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by riley]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Australia's always going to get the short-end of the stick when it comes to sea-rescues, mainly because of the large swathes of the Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, Pacific and Tasman that the country has as its backyard.
And it usually involves huge distances, hence greater costs.

I remember when tony bullimore's boat upturned, they sent out helicopters, planes and navy boats - it really did cost an arm and a leg. Then those solo french sailors need rescueing...and yes it does cost alot of money and divert resources.

Often in Australia if an Australian taxpayer makes a stupid choice and requires rescuing, or a large police search is mounted that could have been avoided, the person at fault (the one being rescued) can be liable for the costs. I don't see why this girl is any different, apart from the fact she's a foreigner - yes it was an accident, but if in future say solo sailors flourish in number and get younger and younger and more reckless, you have to draw the line somewhere in terms of costs to go to every single foreigner's aid.

Australia would never turn its back on going to someone's aid, but as another poster said some sort of insurance scheme should be in place. The ratio of rescue operations vs actual frequency of voyages by sailors would be quite low, so insurance wouldn't be all that expensive.

And in the event an insurance company did have to pay up, the publicity surrounding the event would actually be a payoff for the insurance company in some ways, the taxpayers would be compensated, the person rescued safe and sound; everyone happy.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

Are you kidding me? The Australian tax-payer is being forced to pay for the rescue of a girl involved in a media stunt that should have never happened in the first place.

while i agree with the sentement (and i am sure this a PR move by our friends down under) i do not agree with the cynacism.

i would much rather spend my tax-money helping people in need (even under foolish circumstances) then to feed the military industrial complex, which is where my $$$ is going.

so cheers to the Ozzies for putting their money where their heart is, and not only where their gun or engine is.

PS...

now don't forget your indeginous population.

and you best buck up on the football... 4-nil. ouch.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by mythos]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I am a West Australian, and I will say good'on ya Abby for trying something so young like that. She did HER best in the situation.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I am pretty sure it is a reciprocal arrangement, I bet a few australians have been rescued in the USA......

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Could it come down to Karma? Many believe Abby Sunderland went out in an attempt to break Jessica Watson's potential World Record acquisition (she is a few months younger I believe). She went out against the advice of the public, professionals and experts. It seems fame was a far bigger incentive than determination and this is probably why she failed. Taking on a task like that without proper preparation is never a wise decision.

PS: I actually made a thread about Jessica Watson's achievement but was ridiculed by members for the story not being noteworthy. I guess it was the lack of doom and gloom in the story...

[edit on 13/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
this is part of being a 'part' of the global community mate, just as any other country would be expected to save an aussy in trouble off their waters, but if she try's this stunt again and cocks it up then I'm all for her having to pay.
and remember everyone told Jessica not to go she wasn't ready and blah blah blah but she did it and came out on top, now everyone say's good on her. I say don't chop the tall poppy

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join