It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I’m Under Arrest for What? Fifty Bizarre U.S. Laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
www.divinecaroline.com...

One crazy law from each state. You have to wonder what situations arose that would require the passage of such laws. Here are a few examples.

Alabama
It’s illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church
Florida
If you tie an elephant to a parking meter, you must pay the same parking fee as you would for a vehicle.
Iowa
One-armed piano players must perform for free.
Kentucky
Every citizen is required to take a shower once a year.
Massachusetts
No gorilla is allowed in the backseat of any car.
Pennsylvania
It’s illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

I can't imagine what led to the state of Pennsylvania needing to tell people not to sleep on fridges outside. The back-stories might be more humorous than the laws themselves.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
i saw this for colorado:
It’s unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor (Denver).
maybe that is from a time when colorado had a very strong vacuum-cleaner-lobby. they made the representatives pass a law so everybody has to buy their own cleaner.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Haha, I've seen some of these laws before.
Here are a few more laws from AL.

You may not drive barefooted.

Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.

You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.

Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.

Want to see dumb laws from your state? Go here

[edit on 10-6-2010 by MPad556]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MPad556

Bahaha that site is great.

More than 8 women may not live in the same house because that would constitute a brothel.

I have to ask what a man would 7 daughters would do with this one. Would his wife have to live somewhere else?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Massachusetts

Thanks for this info next time I'm passing through Mass. I will put my wife in the front seat

boy I hope she dont read this
But to be truthful for these laws to be set up some one had to do it

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
crazy laws that apply to California.

A city ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.

Belvedere City Council order reads: “No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash.”

Blythe: You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.

Carmel: Ice cream may not be eaten while standing on the sidewalk. (Repealed when Clint Eastwood was mayor) good for Clint.

California only fairly recently legalized the sale of alcoholic beverages in nudist colonies.

Car wash attendants in San Francisco, California may not use old pairs of underware to wash or dry vehicles.

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

Persons classified as “ugly” may not walk down any street.

San Francisco has an ordinance prohibiting “cane games.” City officials have no idea what cane games are. But when revising city laws recently, officials decided to keep the prohibition on the books, in case someday, somehow, cane games came back, they were deemed improper and the city needed the law.

The Santa Monica, Calif., City Council recently proposed that men be allowed to use women’s public restrooms when there’s a line of three or more at the mens’ room, and vice versa.

Walnut: You must obtain a permit from the sheriff to be a crossdresser.

It’s illegal move a herd of 2000 or more sheeps through hollywood. (anyone know where i can get 1950 sheep)

Californians are not allowed to visit the state of Virginia for any reason unless they are women seeking a man from Goochland, Hanover or Fluvanna county nobody shall be in the state of Virginia without a neck. No Californian shall ever say that California is better than Virginia. While in Virginia, no homosexual shall attended school in Virginia claiming residence in California

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

Massachusetts

Thanks for this info next time I'm passing through Mass. I will put my wife in the front seat

boy I hope she dont read this
But to be truthful for these laws to be set up some one had to do it

That law must have been from the old days when bands of wild gorillas roamed free... in Massachusetts.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
www.amazon.co.uk...

This is the perfect book for this thread.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MPad556

I'm not positive but I think that barefoot rule is still enforced in Oklahoma. Possibly other states as well.

It has something to do with safety.

The reason I say this is because my parents told me when I was learning to drive about 15 years ago that it was illegal to drive barefooted.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

In New Jersey you are not ever ever permitted to ride in the truck bed of any truck, this law is still enforced today. I always thought this was a dumb law until those kids in Ca died in the bed of a truck that overturned on a bridge.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
My life was worse, the police where desperate to destroy me for not liking females. My life has been absolutely crazy, in london.

Crazy police murdered me in effect for nought, not doing one thing.

Cheers murderers.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
There is a whole website with every dumb law from every state.

I can't think of it right now but google stupid laws.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well here is my favorite, though I have had tickets that say otherwise.

Missouri

It is not illegal to speed.

Raist

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Here are some from Arizona.
Hunting camels is prohibited.
Any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony.
Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.
It is illegal to manufacture imitation coc aine.
It is unlawful to refuse a person a glass of water.
You may not have more than two dildos in a house.
Globe, Arizona. Cards may not be played in the street with a Native American.
Hayden, Arizona. If you bother the cottontails or bullfrogs, you will be fined.
Mohave County, AZ. A decree declares that anyone caught stealing soap must wash himself with it until it is all used up.
Tombstone, AZ. It is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling.
Tucson, AZ. Women may not wear pants.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Its illegal to have facial hair in massachusetts without express written consent from the governor.

A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.

At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.

Blue Law stupidity.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

reply to post by MPad556

Bahaha that site is great.

More than 8 women may not live in the same house because that would constitute a brothel.

I have to ask what a man would 7 daughters would do with this one. Would his wife have to live somewhere else?

I Would , it'd be easier and quieter and just think about that special time you ladies have, I'd be a dead man, Nope, I'll live out side Thank You Very Much.

new topics

top topics

join