It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to call the next generation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm not really sure where to put this. If it's in the wrong place by all means move it.

news.yahoo.com...-container

Kids labeled 'generation next' before they grow up

CHICAGO – They aren't even out of grade school. But already, people are trying to name the youngest up-and-coming generation, and figure out who they might be and how they might be different from their predecessors.

At a loss for something more original, many call them Generation Z, because they follow Generations X and Y.

They've also been referred to as Generation Net or "iGen," since they've never known a world without the Internet.

That's the one point most everyone can agree on — that they are the tech-savviest generation of all time, so much so that even toddlers can maneuver their way through YouTube and some first-graders are able to put together a PowerPoint presentation for class.

But beyond that, who are they, really?

Baby Boomers, Generation X, Y, everyone get's a label these days. I do think it is absurd to label an entire generation of people.

At 28, I think i could say I would be called "Gen Y". Honestly, I'm sure sure what is in store for the next crop of kids to come of age. It seem like people my age are a bit disconnected from reality. Quite a few of my friends seem unable to be independent. They either live with their parents or are dependent upon them to pay bills. I am not in this camp, I mooch off my husband (although he finds my use of the term mooch in this instance offensive). There are a lot of unrealistic expectations and the tendency to not take responsibility for one's life.

I don't view this as evidence that something is inherently wrong with them so much as there is something wrong with the way this country is raising kids. No, I don't mean people should be beating their kids more. I'm more concerned with how one raises a child to be independent in a country where you don't really have to fight for your survival. You can get anything really. We have so much time on our hands and it seems we define ourselves by what we buy. Now we are looking at a long recession and it's likely we are going to see people are without jobs for years at a time.

Yet, this is also the generation that brought us Youtube, social networking and other advances. It has yet to be seen what the future holds for many of us. The next generation may bring us free energy. Who knows? It may also flounder in this new, distressed economy.

I'm sure some people will just take this as an opportunity to bash the young. I think you better keep in mind, if these kids are screwed up it's because the previous generation didn't raise em right. You have only yourselves to blame.

So what do we call these guys anyway?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
When we stop putting lables on people, maybe we can begin to see them as humans.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

What to call the next generation?

Generation Debt?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I think todays kids should be called the me me me generation.
Maybe the SE generation.
SE standing for self-entitled.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by antonia

Maybe the SE generation.

I would have to ask what makes them different in that respect from previous generations then. Self-entitlement seems to be a widespread trait among American's under the age of 65.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I like to call them "Generation DUH"! That's what it is for the most part. More failures in life thanks to the brainwash machine.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If we cannot rid ourselves of all the snakes in Washington, you can call the next generation:

"We were the people".

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by antonia

Maybe the SE generation.

Are you serious? The mememe attitude is the same for children in all generations. Children always want its just the way that things are.

I think, though this is just a possibility not a prediction, that this generation may turn out to be more cynical and expecting less if the global downturn continues. But at the same time be ready for chances, be more opportunistic, growing up with a large focus on reality competitions and chance events may increase a willingness to take risks in order to succeed. But this is just one possibility not something that I think will definitely happen.

And of course like all generations there will be those who make it and those who don't. Some may make great advances in technology and medicine, but there is always someone needed to sweep the floors.

-Cauch1

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Quite a few of my friends seem unable to be independent. They either live with their parents or are dependent upon them to pay bills. I am not in this camp, I mooch off my husband (although he finds my use of the term mooch in this instance offensive). There are a lot of unrealistic expectations and the tendency to not take responsibility for one's life.

I think I must have misunderstood you. You said many of your friends are dependant on their parents and can't seem to cut the cord, but then you go on to state how you "mooch" off your husband. Doesn't that also boil down to a lack of independance and taking responsibility for one's own existance? With wording such as this it seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Forgive me if I seem out of line, I'm just trying to understand your wording. Tell me if I'm way off here.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontblink

Forgive me if I seem out of line, I'm just trying to understand your wording. Tell me if I'm way off here.

I put it in quotations because the jury is still out on that one. I worked most of our marriage but I wanted to go to school. My husband was fine with that. He doesn't consider it mooching as we have always generally considered what we have individually to belong to us collectively. It makes him a bit angry when i refer to myself as such. It's never been "your bills" or "my bills", just "our bills". I guess I am just stuck in the mindset that if I am not working I am not bringing anything to the table. I cook, clean, etc. so it's not like i do nothing but, I've always been stuck on the money equation. But, I concede your point. In truth I'm no better than they are. I've never thought that I was though.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by antonia]

[edit on 10-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Well what I notice about today's youth (I hate making blanket statements so bare with me) is small things like expecting to start a job at the top instead of working their way up.
Its also because I have to serve people in my job and the older generations don't act like its owed to them like the younger ones I deal with.
The funny thing is sometimes I have had to deal with parents and can see where it was taught so point for you on that one.

I just see a difference in how things used to be.
When i was growing up and a guy turned 16 he usually already worked and had money saved up to buy a car.
I know of a person right now that is 21 and his parents bought him a car.
These days I see people who are 21 who have jobs and are not in school and their parents still pay their rent for them and take them to do groceries and stuff.

I also try to do things myself and ask only if I need it and I just don't see alot of hardwork being done.
I do see alot of expectations tho.

Also...I am going to u2u some other info I didn't want on the boards so check it when you get a chance.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I like "Igen" .. I cannot imagine growing up with all this technology, but then again, segas and the invention of dial up internet and color monitors were really big when I was in school lol.

I prefer to call my generation (I'm 24) the Lost Generation .. because we did everything we were supposed to, went to school, got a degree, and fell off a cliff. No jobs for us, optimism is hard to come by, our entire adult life has seen perpetual war and economic strife.. the undoing of what our parents called "the American dream"

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I respect your position here. I just don't think it's unique to this generation. I think it is has more to do with wealth than age. If your parents had money you are more likely to receive more support from them. It might make it a bit harder for them to cut the cord so to speak. Then you have the parents who don't want them to cut the cord at all.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
GENERATION LOST
They have lost out on the benefits those before them had.
The economy is such that jobs and homes are lost, and no hope of acquiring another.
They have lost focus, direction, spirituality, individuality, freedoms of all kinds.
Sadly most of all..they are losing hope for a brighter future.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

no no they cannot be the Lost Generation .. you can't loose what you never had. The Patriot Act and anti Terrorist legislation that took a huge portion of our rights away occurred while I was in high school .. to the kids today they won't know the difference. Which is in it's self even sadder.. at least I know what was stolen from me.. I worry that the next generations will be more willing to accept having freedom ripped from them, because they have much lower freedom than our generations did.

How about the Forsaken Generation .. since it was our generations before them that handed to the Government our rights on a silver platter, and elected the corrupt bastards that bankrupted our country.

[edit on 6/10/2010 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
How about:
Generation Last

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It would be nice to call them for what theyre going to have to be.
The Warrior Generation.

If youre responding you either are one or brought one into this world or will raise one.
A little respect would be nice to show the most heavily debt laden, least opportune, odds stacked against them individuals blindly walking into the mess made for them by several unattentive generations prior.

If the continued prophecies of doom and gloom come to pass then it will be their collective efforts, strength and youth that will save many of the lazy talkabouts doalittles who slumbered through enmasse.

Consumption without contribution ends very soon my friends.
It will be their shoulders and brains that will HAVE to rise to the task and repair or save, what collectively all others have.

top topics

join