It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We the people own part of this mess, Our names are in this oil spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I cannot begin to tell you how heart breaking it is to see this mess, this oil spill, spread to our coastlines, our communities, harming our wildlife, causing damage that may verywell take decades to heal. It is frustrating, alot of people are understandably frustrated, and among the anger and frustration we have fingers pointing towards all directions. We have people pointing to BP and rightfully so, we have people pointing to the president and his administration, his inaction to just 'do something', we have people pointing towards funnily enough environmentalists claiming this entire event as being some conspiracy. We have everybody pointing at everybody else, but we never seem to hold ourselves accountable for this mess. As I understand many people do not like Maddow here, as are there people who do not like Glenn Beck, but she made a very good point here that I feel must be posted:

It is so easy for us to point to somebody else, its so easy to point all the blame to one person or organization other than ourselves. We have people using this tragic event to push their political and partisan agendas, we have people using this tragic crises to promote some event or some law. People forget that we in some way or another own this mess. I have in past used BP numerous times to fill up my car with fuel. I am a regular user not just of BP but of fossil fuels in general and it has been a requirement for me to do so in order to get to work, get to certain places, to go on vacation. For people like me who depend their daily lives on oil, oil companies had continued to drill whether it be offshore or on land to feed my dependancy. Through numerous oil spills including this one I have continued to use oil as a fuel source because it is a need in my life, it is a must at this point and I cannot avoid it. The same could be said for 99% of Americans.

It'd be so easy to switch to an alternative source of fuel if it was readily available and as sustainable and affordable as oil, but I had not been able to come across such a source, and neither have millions of americans. I am the reason why corporations and big businesses continue to thrive. It would be so easy for me to stamp my foot against BP and against other big business, but I am the reason why those businesses continue to thrive, why they continue to get away with damage. All american citizens are guilty of fueling these businesses financially and politically. While BP is responsible for most of this mess, I am the reason why they are where they are, I depend on companies like them to exist.

We are in part to blame, America has a part of the blame. So when you wish to get all worked up about BP and this mess, don't forget to look in the mirror, because I certainly did when I found myself having to fill up at BP at the last minute two days ago. So long as I continue to be so dependent of oil, on petroleum, I will have some part in that oil spill. I have long advocated a government and nationwide movement for alternatives, but until that event actually happens I will continue to use this fuel. I will continue to pay big businesses like BP. All of us will.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You are RIGHT 100%.

It is ALL of our faults!

We demand cheap fuel all the time, and gripe and moan when the price goes up by 20cents a gallon.

We demand cheap plastics and throwaway packaging. We demand cheap cosmetics and everything else at the store.

It takes fuel to transport anything, it takes oil to create most of our synthetics such as plastic or hell theres even oil in your toothpaste.

Everyone slams BP for this oil mess, its BS!

This is OUR FAULTS!

We VOTE with our Dollars$$!

Every time you buy anything you are voting YES for Oil Drilling.

Why would anyone VOTE YES every day of their life on OIL and then spew hatred for BP because things went wrong?

Why not look in the mirror people, see who is REALLY to blame for all of this mess.

If we stopped buying this crap, it would be a VOTE NO. And these companies would go bankrupt. Basic Economics.

Me personally? I try to conserve my oil products because to me they are valuable and I do not take them for granted.

The Oil Spill is my fault. I kept demanding more for my car, and I kept buying products from the grocery store.

If you are on the Internet right now, you are using oil products.

Our demand for oil is what caused all of this. And it will keep happening until solutions are presented and utilized.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Really????

We are to blame? Then I want my billions in profits taken for the sake of safety and environmental protection.

I'm sorry I respect many of your posts but you are way off here. Maybe we are to blame for believing the government and big corps when they tell us that ocean drilling is safe and a disaster like this could never happen.

TPTB hide free energy technology. The only reason the general public wants cheap oil is so that we can afford to drive to work to slave away a 60 hour work week, take a day off, and do it all over again. Even with cheap oil we are lucky to be able to afford the rest of the monthly bills.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
Really????

We are to blame?

We are not all to blame, but we had a part.

Then I want my billions in profits taken for the sake of safety and environmental protection.

As far as I can see it if you chose to pay BP, you in part accepted their methods of drilling. I fully in agreement with the argument that they evaded safety measures for the sake of saving millions, I agree with you there, but that doesnt change the fact that we chose to use their stations, and many americans still do.

I'm sorry I respect many of your posts but you are way off here.

I respect your opinion. I am in no way saying we are all to blame. Evidently BP takes the bulk of the blame, they lied to us and evaded safety regulations, they hold the responsibility to mind their operations in return for the environment, but that doesnt change the fact that we still continue to use their services, we are still heavily dependant on offshore drilling. I have no doubt other companies turn their backs to to safety to save the buck, and yet we continue to use their services.

We the people are held to ransom by fossil fuels, but we hold the power to unite for a new source. Unfortunately we as a people dont have that will power as a whole, so we continue to pay these companies and continue to ignore the corruption that lies within their operations. We are so distracted with our own lives, obligations, we cannot focus on theirs.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

We are to blame?

Yes. Because we have true power.

We can vote NO by refusing to buy their products.

The only problem is, no one is willing to try that.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

We are to blame?

Yes. Because we have true power.

We can vote NO by refusing to buy their products.

The only problem is, no one is willing to try that.

95% of the product bought goes in the gas tank to get the person to work. Work that feeds their family. We are in the system that they want us in. I don't know anybody that takes joy in going to buy gas.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Star for you Southern Guardian.

BP certainly does need to help clean up and repay the economic losses, because they are financially responsible for the direct impact.

Our share of the burden will be the indirect impacts. Years down the road, and now.

I can not believe how many people here on ATS bashes BP yet will go out the next day and support them by buying their products.

And I hate to tell you...if you don't shop at BP, that doesn't mean you are not supporting them.

They sell their oil to many other stations/products, and you will almost always be supporting them in someway.

It is okay, you can complain and keep doing it. That is the best way to change something!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
We the people are held to ransom by fossil fuels, but we hold the power to unite for a new source. Unfortunately we as a people dont have that will power as a whole, so we continue to pay these companies and continue to ignore the corruption that lies within their operations. We are so distracted with our own lives, obligations, we cannot focus on theirs.

I agree completely.

But I do think a lot of work goes into distracting the people so the corporations can continue to rape the environment.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

We the people are held to ransom by fossil fuels, but we hold the power to unite for a new source.

There my friend is the solution and the problem ...

For we are indeed at fault, and blaming BP is like a junky blaming his dealer. Sure the dealer is a low-life bastard, but his presence is moot without us, the oil junkies.

However, rest assured that a "new source" will be just as addicting as the existing one, and our dependence and controllability equal in measure.

Given that the later will remain a constant, our surrender is ours to give ... the earth's however isn't. Therefore I agree with you, let us at least pursue a better alternative, if not for us, for our home earth.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

We are in part to blame, America has a part of the blame.

The above quote could apply to so many issues that America is now facing.

As far as oil, I think it will take a major catastrophe to change our demand for oil.

Corporations own us and they know it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
...no one asked my permission to put that rig out there... no one asked if i was okay with an accountant dictating how drilling is done... i have no control over bp and have no fault in the mess they made in the gulf... this "i'm my brother's keeper" stuff can be taken too far, ya know... bp aint my brother or yours... they dont even like us, lol...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Oil....can't live with it....can't live without it.....till you change the energy paradigm. Sorry folks...there will be other oil spills to talk about until then.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

You know Southern Guardian it is very ironic that you posted this thread tonight...I was just talking to my wife today about how bad this disaster is...and I said "we shouldn't buy gas from any BP stations". We usually never do anyway...but it just came up during conversation.

Then I sat there thinking about it...and I realized it doesn't really matter if I don't buy from BP...I have to buy it from somewhere. And as I was thinking about how disgusting this whole mess is...I realized that I am in fact partly responsible. And if that wasn't bad enough...my next thought was "but what do I do?" Like you said...I'm stuck...I have to buy gas to provide for my family for us to live the life we live.

And that is the problem...we don't HAVE to live the life we are living...but we do...and sadly I know deep down we aren't going to change. We might try not to drive so much...might try to ride our bikes to stores more or walk to family/friends houses. But we will still drive...and we will still buy gas. The other sad thing is that I have a job where I don't have to drive...I am luckily enough that I left my "corporate" job where I had to travel everyday and started my own company. I now do my same job...but from the comfort of my home...there is really no reason I ever have to go to my clients. BUT...they love to see a face...so i do still have to travel...because I have to keep the clients happy (yeah...sucks but it is true). I like to think that maybe I'm helping because I don't have to travel every day...but I think that is just trying to lie to myself to justify my way of life.

So we are stuck with "what do we do?" I honestly don't know...I hope an alternative fuel source becomes available...but what motivation are we giving them by continuing to buy gas for the cars that we need to have for our current lifestyle? There are very few times (maybe none?) that I have felt personally a little hopeless and responsible about a worldly event like this ...but I did today when it hit me, as it hit you, that when I see those birds covered in oil...it is partly because I demand that oil so I can gas up my car. Today some of my anger towards BP turned into a little bit of shame of myself.

And now I'm sitting here thinking...why did it take me this long to realize this...am I that blind to this situation??? Am I just that comfortable and it hasn't effected me personally yet??? Or was I just avoiding it because I was shameful and it was easier to blame BP???

It sucks...can't really say it more plain than that.

S&F my friend.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I agree with the OP, the blame can't be just put on BP. That said, I don't agree with this society, this way of life. I have to drive to work, I can't walk. If I did, I'd be ostracized. There are people who LOVE this way of life, in fact they are the majority. They want their material goods, their social bandaids, they would die to defend their status quo and they like things the way they are.

There have been so many chances for people to get together and talk about changing society. The majority never even makes a rumble about changing things truly. They just blame corporations and the government. I used to love hearing anyone bash the government, but now I realize they aren't willing to do anything to change things, they just want to point fingers. And I'm talking about in public, I don't mean ATS there.

If any proportionate percentage of people agreed to GIVE UP SOME THINGS, I think we could cover a lot of ground. But truth is the majority 90% are not willing to give up anything, they want more while they blame the government and love animals more than human beings and live in a sort of LaLa land my dreaming mind could not imagine.

The people that have never looked into alternative lifestyles, or ever gotten involved in their community with groups who are looking for alternatives are the ones to blame here.

ALL of us carry some blame, but mostly it's those who don't even open the dialogue. I find it pointless to try to change anything when met with such stagnation, I am willing to starve to change this world and so are a lot of ATS'ers, we just know it wont happen until at least 30% of people are open to the idea.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Interesting, I wrote something similar a few days in another oily thread, I'm not saying that you stole it, ..... but,

you stole it.

haha, I'm kidding, anyway here it is.

"Using Sarah's logic I can just as easily point at you for being the cause of the oil disaster, .... yes you.

The technology to greatly reduce and do away with crude oil already exists, yet you continue on with your gasoline fueled way of living. The only need for crude oil is because of it's consumption.

So before you before your so quick to blame bp, enviromentalists, or anyone else, take a good long hard look in the mirror of your SUV. "

"

[edit on 7-6-2010 by IntastellaBurst]

link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

We are in part to blame, America has a part of the blame. So when you wish to get all worked up about BP and this mess, don't forget to look in the mirror, because I certainly did when I found myself having to fill up at BP at the last minute two days ago. So long as I continue to be so dependent of oil, on petroleum, I will have some part in that oil spill.

I strongly disagree with your statement. Blame requires that we chose an action that caused a problem, that could have been avoided had we chosen a different option.
At present, for the vast majority of people who must work for a living, travel significant distances to obtain life supplies such as food, clothing or medical care, and who do not live in an area where mass transportation is available, there is no alternative to fossil fuels.
Once a reasonable alternative is available in sufficient quantity, and affordability, then blame can be assessed. Until then, people have no realistic choice, and thus are free from blame.

link   
To ignore safety standards to save money is placing more importance on money than on humans, the environment, and wildlife. This tragic incident could have been avoided. In another thread where BP was responsible for an oil leak in Alaska, BP knew of corroded pipes. The workers complained about it and nothing was done. There is no excuse for incompetance of this nature.

How are we to blame for someone elses total disregard for safety and common sense? We use what is available to us. Time to find some solutions and think more about the earth and our place in it. What kind of world are we leaving our children???

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'll have go agree on jus a smidgen I am at fault somewhat BUT BP is to blame! I say about 98% lol just because of faulty equip and not adressing the situation cough excuse me CATASTROPHE appropriately there's another thread on their status reports u might wanna take a look at.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
its my fault guys.

no use cryin over spilt oil though.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Well to be fair I do find it funny that people were so worried about phantoms of how, "It's gonna get bad." They were of course talking about how the economy would tank and crime would quadruple. Never in their wildest dreams did they see an oil spill devastating entire ecosystems.

That said... your reply really amazes me when you apparently know better. I don't get the whole "let's make a joke of constructive thought" trend. Taxpaying or no, if everyone boycotted oil (much less war itself) then the oil rig would have never been built in the first place, much less operated and pushed past it's limit. If that sort of causality doesn't paint a picture then I'm not sure what will.

I assure everyone, our ancestors at some point in history, even written history made it without petroleum. Are we dumber than them? Well.. probably, but we are a lot prouder of ourselves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join