It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Jesus came back to Earth today what mental disorder would he be diagnosed with?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I just read the book of John. I think that if that's how the people at the time reacted to Christ claiming that he was the Son of God and that he was the messiah, I can't help but question how people now would react to him with more sophisticated ways of thinking, and, especially with all of the psychologists now, and psychiatrists who would be more than happily diagnose him without a second thought as a crazy. I'm going to quote some passages from the bible, if you will excuse me, from the book of John, and, I'd like to ask- just what someone looking at him right now, who wouldn't believe him to be the son of God would say to his face.

Source: www.biblegateway.com...

47When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false."

48"How do you know me?" Nathanael asked.
Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you."

49Then Nathanael declared, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel."

50Jesus said, "You believe[k] because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that." 51He then added, "I tell you[l] the truth, you[m] shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

esus Teaches Nicodemus

1Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.[a]"

4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You[c] must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

9"How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.

10"You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.[d] 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.[e]

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[f] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.[g] 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."[h]

34"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. 35Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. 36Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. 37Thus the saying 'One sows and another reaps' is true. 38I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor."

Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these. 21For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it. 22Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

24"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. 25I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself. 27And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.

28"Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned. 30By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

16Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. 17If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. 18He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him. 19Has not Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law. Why are you trying to kill me?"

20"You are demon-possessed," the crowd answered. "Who is trying to kill you?"

21Jesus said to them, "I did one miracle, and you are all astonished. 22Yet, because Moses gave you circumcision (though actually it did not come from Moses, but from the patriarchs), you circumcise a child on the Sabbath. 23Now if a child can be circumcised on the Sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, why are you angry with me for healing the whole man on the Sabbath? 24Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

The Children of the Devil

42Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."
The Claims of Jesus About Himself

48The Jews answered him, "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?"
49"I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus, "but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death."

52At this the Jews exclaimed, "Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death. 53Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"

54Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. 56Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."

57"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"

58"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

47"As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. 48There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. 49For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. 50I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say."

I realize the rest of the book of John is where Jesus allegedly performs his miracles. So, but with all being said- what if he were to come down to Earth all of a sudden right now... and he were to start saying all this stuff- without being given a chance to prove to us that he can really do all this stuff... and he ended up being put in a mental hospital? What do you think he would be diagnosed with?

continued in next post

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
plain & simple: a multiple personality disorder...

or to be PC,
this site: www.mayoclinic.com...=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I just want to say that I am not a believer in Jesus, so, I just wanted to get that out of the way. I am just posing the question ,as, there have been many people who have claimed that they were Jesus, and, they have all been crazy and been sent to mental hospitals. So what if the real thing came and proved us all wrong and proved to us agnostics, and to the atheists, and reaffirmed to the Christians that he really existed- but, we would think that he is a crazy (hypothetically speaking if he came back, and, assuming it is true)... I think if he came back he would be diagnosed with delusions of grandeur.

he mass media often uses the term "delusions of grandeur" to refer to a person who is in over his head, or who thinks exaggerates the amount of power and importance that he has. Used in the vernacular, the term usually describes people who are disliked dictators of countries, prominent businessmen, or celebrities, since they are often prone to being selfish and egotistical. However, this sort of popular attention downplays the seriousness of an actual medical diagnosis where symptoms are common in mentally ill persons.

Ads by Google
Severe Anxiety Sufferers
Our psychiatrists & therapists can help. Individualized treatment. BrookHavenRetreat.com/Peace
Are You Paranoid?
Take This Paranoid Quiz & Find Out! Browse Our Fun Quizzes Now. LifeScript.com
Also generally known as megalomania, delusions of grandeur is a term familiar to psychological discourse. They are known as the manifestations of a psychopathological condition in which a person has delusional fantasies of power, wealth, and omnipotence, thus the term delusions of grandeur. Individuals may also bear an obsession with grandiose or extravagant things or actions. Despite evidence to the contrary, they may still be convinced of these false impressions.

In clinical terms, delusions of grandeur are real delusional symptoms, which are irrational and inappropriate beliefs. Often found in patients with varying degrees of either dementia, psychotic or depressive disorders, they firmly possess unrealistic beliefs that may eventually harm them physically, mentally, or emotionally.

www.wisegeek.com...

If the Jesus from the bible did really exist and came back- I think he would be sent to a mental hospital before he would be able to perform any of his miracles.

What do you think he would be diagnosed with?

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum- please move it to the right one.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Why a multiple personality disorder over all other things? How can you say that Jesus would have a multiple personality disorder if that's what he really would believe, and, that's how he was just all the time?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
America would just microwave him to death.

2nd line

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think this is worthwhile thinking for anyone, and we shouldn't be so quick to judge those who we believe have " delusions of grandeur" or some other disorder.

I say it all the time, if the Christ came back all of these Christians who claim to know him would not even recognize him, he hung out with the scum of his day and would probably be seen as a dirty hippy today.

Being born again has nothing to do with dipping your head underwater, yet when you are born again, it cannot be denied, and only then can you truly see what Christ was actually teaching about.

Why would the son of god, also call himself, the " son of man". Perhaps because they are one and the same. Seperation is an illusion. The Christ consciousness in part, or whole, can be attained by anyone.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by IntastellaBurst]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think he'd be diagnosed with his own reality show on VH1.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
I think he'd be diagnosed with his own reality show on VH1.

All the pervy women would probably try to prove him wrong that he did not fancy them, and set out to kill him for not fancying them.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Jesus is a Illegal Immigrate!
Shows us your papers we would Declare!
Then send him in for a mental evaluation!
Declare him Mentally Insane!
Deport him back to Heaven!
And then send the bill to the Feds
Which they would refuse to Pay!
So who the Heck is Jesus and
Why Do I have Pay
for His Mental Evaluation!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Man, What up with ATS and hitting the spot?

Did you just come up with this?

I have to say, you are a genius of your own mind.

He would be diagnose with Schizophrenia upon arrival of disbelief/and those who have always believed, and hold him against his will, knowinly accepting this was going to happen, and let him go because they could not come up with any other diagnosed and leave after performing his second miracle. They would have to let him go, and would take several years to grasp the true meaning of the first miracle.

Oct.31 2006

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by St Udio

Why a multiple personality disorder over all other things? How can you say that Jesus would have a multiple personality disorder if that's what he really would believe, and, that's how he was just all the time?

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the headline was Dissociative Personality Disorder (MPD).

He believes he is 3 different people. The reasons you gave are exactly why. His belief is what makes it the illness. If he was joking around, he would not be sick he would be a joker. People are diagnosed with delusional disorders because they believe things that are not real.

I am certain we could run down the DSM and diagnose him with all kids of things but showing up to tell us you are you and your dad and that you BELIEVE THAT would be the fist step toward a 'multiple' diagnosis.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm a nurse, so lets start with ,unless he is a harm to himself or to others he would not be in a mental institution...Yes, his thinking would not be main stream...But lets face it neither is anyone else on this site.....

I for one believe in Jesus...so maybe that taints my answer...

link   
Some government agency attempts to pin him up to pay child support.

Then they get him on disability.

Government dude garnishes the disability income and pays off the national debt.

NDRD - National Debt Responsibility Disorder

link   
reply to post by TheUltimateEnd

You have no idea of the world. They would try to use him under mind control, and or microwave him to death.

You have no idea what your saying, lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - he can't stop trying to get the word across.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
ehem, history repeats itself.. any one, any one?

Rome is everlasting, rome is a murderer.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
He would be diagnosed with having every mental illness invented, I think the water turned into wine trick would go down well with his fellow patients.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I just want to say that I am not a believer in Jesus, so, I just wanted to get that out of the way. I am just posing the question ,as, there have been many people who have claimed that they were Jesus, and, they have all been crazy and been sent to mental hospitals. So what if the real thing came and proved us all wrong and proved to us agnostics, and to the atheists, and reaffirmed to the Christians that he really existed- but, we would think that he is a crazy (hypothetically speaking if he came back, and, assuming it is true)... I think if he came back he would be diagnosed with delusions of grandeur.

he mass media often uses the term "delusions of grandeur" to refer to a person who is in over his head, or who thinks exaggerates the amount of power and importance that he has. Used in the vernacular, the term usually describes people who are disliked dictators of countries, prominent businessmen, or celebrities, since they are often prone to being selfish and egotistical. However, this sort of popular attention downplays the seriousness of an actual medical diagnosis where symptoms are common in mentally ill persons.

Ads by Google
Severe Anxiety Sufferers
Our psychiatrists & therapists can help. Individualized treatment. BrookHavenRetreat.com/Peace
Are You Paranoid?
Take This Paranoid Quiz & Find Out! Browse Our Fun Quizzes Now. LifeScript.com
Also generally known as megalomania, delusions of grandeur is a term familiar to psychological discourse. They are known as the manifestations of a psychopathological condition in which a person has delusional fantasies of power, wealth, and omnipotence, thus the term delusions of grandeur. Individuals may also bear an obsession with grandiose or extravagant things or actions. Despite evidence to the contrary, they may still be convinced of these false impressions.

In clinical terms, delusions of grandeur are real delusional symptoms, which are irrational and inappropriate beliefs. Often found in patients with varying degrees of either dementia, psychotic or depressive disorders, they firmly possess unrealistic beliefs that may eventually harm them physically, mentally, or emotionally.

www.wisegeek.com...

If the Jesus from the bible did really exist and came back- I think he would be sent to a mental hospital before he would be able to perform any of his miracles.

What do you think he would be diagnosed with?

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum- please move it to the right one.

LOL... if you don't believe in Jesus why the post????
Why not ask about Mohammad for that matter????
Now he WAS a sick human...Jesus.. well He was GOD and still is...
AS PEOPLE SAY.. HE WAS LYING, A LUNATIC OR LORD... WHO DO YOU THINK HE WAS...THAT WILL DETERMINE WHERE YOU SPEND ETERNITY!!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - he can't stop trying to get the word across.

Na i think he would be cleverer than you think.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

That is your theory, your stating it as a fact. They have to mind control him and microwave him. Why would you think of such a feat?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join