It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fisherman's wife breaks the silence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Word is getting around that they're paying people from all around the country to clean up the oil.

20hr- full time with overtime... paid transportation, food and hotel.

I know that sounds really good to the many unemployed americans.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Why are these men harvesting seafood for the rest of us to eat from the same water that is making them sick? Do they not care?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I'm going to avoid seafood for a long while, that's for sure. Because I was wondering the same thing. If the fishermen are getting sick, then the sea life is PROBABLY going to be toxic, too... What kind of cover-up will it take to keep this under wraps?

This is going to have SO many ramifications! :shk:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

they have mouths to feed? There livlelyhood? would you be so perfectly willing to starve for the sake of people you don't know? This is how we're raised.
"me and you to the death- on behalf of yours or mine- for there is not enough for both of us"

Bottom line is our governments, businesses and indivdual people do all kinds of questionable things to feed ourselves. Of all the issues, the fishermen working is nothing at all. If someone wants to buy seafood from the gulf then there should be fishermen providing and be damned the consequences. BP certainly doesn't care and for all of our wonderful insight and heart ache over the state of the world, most people don't seem to care.

In fact they probably have it right. stop caring, act for yourself and crush everyone you need to be sucessful. For this fishermen it means providing food from potentially contaminated waters. Not that it should matter; wash your clothes with detergent? your poisoning yourself. use a dryer sheet? poisoning yourself. Eat processed food or products packaged in plastics or synthetics? poisoning yourself. Eat fruit vegetables? unless its proven organic, poisoning yourself.

The whole of humanity is all about poisoning everyone and everything. Why does this one fishermen mean anything in the gand scheme of things?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Maybe the Water is so toxic that even just getting it on your hands then touching your mouth could make you ill.

It's a scary thought, but who knows?

g

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thebulldog

There is a big difference between poisoning myself and poisoning somebody else. I do not understand why the government is letting fishing continue under these conditions. How selfish it is. They are saying you can get sick and die as long as I can make my money on it. Is that the "AMERICAN WAY"?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Juries fall asleep in science heavy court cases.

Workers got sick during the Exxon Valdez clean-up.

Why then hasn't BP equiped the fisherman and clean-up crews with respiratory gear, gloves, suits etc to protect them from the crude and dispersent fumes?

Because once they do they open themselves up to law-suits...admitting that the fumes are a danger.

From a an economic/liability perspective it is cheaper to deny the fumes are toxic, allow the workers to get sick and then contest that the fumes have anything to do with it.

It worked with the Exxon-Valdez spill and those who got sick cleaning it up.

The medical science is complicated and beyond most juries and thus difficult to prove conclusively in a court battle...cheaper to admit nothing and let the workers get sick roll the dice in court.

Court records showed more than 6,700 workers involved in the Exxon Valdez clean up suffered respiratory problems which the company attributed to a viral illness, not chemical poisoning.

Dennis Mestas represented the only known worker to successfully settle with Exxon over health issues. According to the terms of that confidential settlement, Exxon did not admit fault.

His client, Gary Stubblefield, spent four months lifting workers in a crane for 18 hours a day as they sprayed the oil-slicked beaches with hot water, which created an oily mist. Even though he had to wipe clean his windshield twice a day, Stubblefield said it never occurred to him that the mixture might be harming his lungs.

Within weeks, he and others, who wore little to no protective gear, were coughing and experiencing other symptoms that were eventually nicknamed Valdez crud. Now 60, Stubblefield cannot get through a short conversation without coughing and gasping for breath like a drowning man. He sometimes needs the help of a breathing machine and inhalers, and has to be careful not to choke when he drinks and eats.

Watching the Gulf situation unfold, he says, makes him sick.

www.registercitizen.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by thebulldog

There is a big difference between poisoning myself and poisoning somebody else. I do not understand why the government is letting fishing continue under these conditions. How selfish it is. They are saying you can get sick and die as long as I can make my money on it. Is that the "AMERICAN WAY"?

America was founded on tobacco, so I say yes it is the American way.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Why are these men harvesting seafood for the rest of us to eat from the same water that is making them sick? Do they not care?

There is currently a Federal Gulf fishing ban--at least for some of the area-- that was implemented in mid-May...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I *think* that the fisherman the OP is referring to felt these effects back in April?

Nevertheless, the cases of the fishermen should serve as the basis for protective gear for those involved in the clean-up, at least.

SJ

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lulzor

Commenting on the video: The end of the video as they scrub these guys off reminds me of what they did in DC during the anthrax attacks. Anything that can burn the skin is toxic and BP should have a long marching line of people heading to jail right now for telling that horrendous lie! Where is OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration)?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This stuff has been compared to agent orange by some experts. And if you don't know what that hellish stuff was, you are obviously much younger than me!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This may turn out to be worse than anyone ever expected.

I'm not just talking about the oil leak itself but the but rather the damage the dispersant will cause once it goes beyond the coast line.
Once the hurricane season is in full gear you can expect this stuff to be literally "sprayed" inland for many miles and the results will be catastrophic.

If you think people have asthma now, wait a few weeks/months.

Maybe that's the intent.
I don't know about you but I'm keeping an eye on Obama to see if he happens to pick up a kids book about pet goats.

But then again, he is too busy playing golf so I doubt he'll have time to READ.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Alxandro]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Just for reference, I live down here in New Orleans. 11 Workers have experienced flulike symptoms. Being as the workers are crammed 4 together in hotel rooms and working 14 hour days perhaps the flu is going around? Don't jump the gun yet.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
COREXIT is 30% benzene.

www.bt.cdc.gov...

Expect an epidemic of cancer in the people exposed in the near future.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
let me enlighten all u ignorant people
this is no surprise 2 me
the amount of oil is immense and being covered up
the amount of toxic gas is far worse i wont go in 2 details cuz im not an expert.
but wat has become clear is we are all being lied 2
this is the worst enviromental crisis ever
its no news people will get sick from the toxic fumes
this is nuthing compared 2 how bad it REALLY is
i cried and said omg at least 10 times after reading this
cuz i new but 2 see how many have been bought off and are scared of bp i mean

.. im spweechleess

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Workers got sick during the Exxon Valdez clean-up.

While I was searching for more reports on this situation, I had stumbled upon a few press releases, and a couple of not so agenda free articles that mentioned the Valdez health issues, in a few of those they mentioned that there was a settlement with Exxon, and part of the settlement was the victims had to promise not to mention their cases.

Is that true? I don't know, I didn't get that deep into researching that angle, I was trying to focus on the current situation.

Anyone know if that was the case re: Exxon victims settlement?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
One fairly large bloc of the political climate happens to be the southern "Red" states. If you can ruin the life and health of the people and the land then that is one area you don't have to worry about anymore.

It is way easier now-a-days to get the EPA to do what you want. No more helpless salamanders, frog and such for the EPA to protect, they just want to protect their jobs and the money they get for looking the other way.

With the South being a good chunk of the economy of the US going down the drain, it will put an even more crippling on America.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Has anybody else ever thought that oil is the Earth's defense mechanism against humans??? I mean think about it, oil brings in more money then anything else on Earth but is also very toxic and not easy to get rid of. So in conclusion oil is a virus to combat HUMANITY!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I'm very glad this woman took the courage to come forward with this info. Hopefully now more will follow and BP can be fully exposed for what they really are.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

These fishermen are no longer fishing .... duh

After the leak began BP gave the local fishermen, because they could no longer fish in the area and were desperate for a replacement income, thus easy to abuse, jobs helping clean up the oil.

These guys were not out there fishing when they got sick, they were out there working for BP.

They did not demand protective gear because they were not educated in the need for it and didn't realise the flagrant disregard for the natural world BP and similar companies have includes a flagrant disregard for the health of their own workers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join