It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fisherman's wife breaks the silence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Fisherman's wife breaks the silence

www.cnn.com

Venice, Louisiana (CNN) -- Kindra Arnesen's husband often calls while he's out on a shrimping trip, so she wasn't surprised to hear her cell phone ring the night of April 29 while he was on an overnight fishing expedition.
However, this time, her husband, David, wasn't calling to tell her about the day's catch or to wish their children Aleena and David Jr. a good night. He was calling to tell her he was sick, and the strange thing about it, so were men on the seven other shrimping boats working near his.
"I received several calls from him saying, 'This one's hanging over the boat thr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
How many others are keeping quiet regarding health concerns due to the disaster in the Gulf? This woman kept quiet for weeks, in fear that speaking up could cost her husband's employment.

Included in the article is another Hayward quote...

"Food poisoning is clearly a big issue," HE said. "It's something we've got to be very mindful of."

Thanks Dr. Hayward

Kindra is advocating that BP provide clean up workers with protective masks, BP's response?

Graham MacEwen, a spokesman for BP, says the company isn't providing masks because their air monitoring shows there's no health threats to workers.

Must be the food?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

"I don't believe in coincidence. It would be one thing if one of them got sick. It would maybe be OK if two got sick," she says. "When everyone's getting sick all at the same time, that's not coincidence"

When asked at a news conference Sunday about people getting sick while out on the Gulf, BP CEO Tony Hayward had his own theory.

"Food poisoning is clearly a big issue," HE said. "It's something we've got to be very mindful of."

Arnesen says there's no way her husband and the men on the other boats had fallen victim to food poisoning, noting the men were on eight boats and didn't eat the same food.

Nope, not the food. Unless they're eating shrimp and fish as they catch it, which I just don't see happening... Not on a shrimp boat (for many reasons)...

Makes you wonder what it is though, and, if not a coincidence? Then it's downright scary!

I have a horrible feeling there's 'something in the air'.
'Something' put there intentionally, purposefully - in order to keep fishermen as far away from the scene of the crime (yes, scene of the crime = the spill) as possible.

We'll see...

peace

[edit on 3-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Maybe the dispersant reacts chemically with the oil (it does anyway) and creates something nastier for the human organism, than the two substances separated

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
How is this surprising ?

There's a reason bp was asked to change their dispersant.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ickylevel
How is this surprising ?

There's a reason bp was asked to change their dispersant.

And yet they 'refused' the request. Can anyone explain why that is?

In this country, the corporate exploiter has more rights....

This dispersant will prove to be the single larges factor expanding the tragedy's scope - outside the BOP shenanigans themselves.

Why are they still using it?

Who was officially convinced that this was "OK"?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
i seem to remember seeing in a video (below) that corexit was extremely harmful to humans,
burning flesh if it's not washed off or the divers weren't wearing the hazmat diving suits.

There's no doubt in my mind that if the dispersant will burn flesh it could cause a serious illness or potentially kill.

She says while he's feeling better, he still doesn't have the energy he used to have. "Here we are over a month later and he's still not completely well," she says.

From the above article, emphasis mine.

This bothers me quite a bit.

ABC News,
Philippe Cousteau JR. and Sam Champion from ABC news dive under the water 36 days into the oil spill.
this video was originally posted by loam in this thread, Here.

(it's 8AM, still waking up. if something is wrong don't hesitate to mention it and i'll fix it.)

Cheers

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Lulzor]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzor
i seem to remember seeing in a video (below) that corexit was extremely harmful to humans,
burning flesh if it's not washed off or the divers weren't wearing the hazmat diving suits.

There's no doubt in my mind that if the dispersant will burn flesh it could cause a serious illness or potentially kill.

Yeah, but unfortunately none of the wildlife have access to hazmat diving suits!

The dispersant is the reason that over 75% of this oil is not finding its way to the surface and is instead forming HUGE plumes under the ocean. BP is attempting to hide the extent of the damage that they have caused - that is why they continue to pump this [snip] into the gushing oil! I fear the Gulf will end up being a dead zone for generations to come!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Who was officially convinced that this was "OK"?

The people who got paid were pretty convinced it would seem.
Ecomonic motives far outweigh humanitarian motives for these people and they don't care about your childs future,they care about getting paid.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Here's a related article describing some health issues experienced by the clean up workers:

Workers cleaning up Gulf oil spill report flu-like symptoms

Some workers involved in cleaning up the Gulf Coast beaches, marshes and waters have reported experiencing flu-like symptoms, the Associated Press reports.

Few studies have looked into the long-term health effects of oil exposure. Brief contact with small amounts of light crude oil and dispersants are not considered harmful, the story says. But, long-term exposure to dispersants can cause central nervous system problems, or do damage to blood, kidneys, or livers, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

British Petroleum and U.S. Coast Guard offocials say dehydration, heat and food poisoning may be the cause. Dozens of complaints have been made related to oil exposure with the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, spokeswoman Olivia Watkins, told the AP

Food poisoning blamed again?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Corrupt is the day we all know what the problem is thou we are being lied to and yet we can/do nothing. Honestly if I where an alien I would kill us off. We are our own enemy and prove this by destroying ourselfs.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I have a horrible feeling there's 'something in the air'.
'Something' put there intentionally, purposefully - in order to keep fishermen as far away from the scene of the crime (yes, scene of the crime = the spill) as possible.

We'll see...

peace

Erm......not to state the obvious but...........Nalco the producer of the 54% effective 100% toxic verified dispersant COREXIT9500 are spraying everyday in effort to break up the oil.

Could it be that this dispersent is indeed the cause of the sickness to the fishermen, I think so.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
So , does the dispersant put off a gas when it is being sprayed ?

This could explain some things . Also , I'm curious as to whether the methane gas is capable of freeing itself from the water and then hovering above the surface ?

Anyone ?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Setting aside the potential effects of the chemical being sprayed on the slicks, doesn't the crude oil itself present health hazards? I know I have read that burning oil is an issue, but how about the slick itself, does this evaporate and does this present more potential hazards?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
A couple more articles on the topic:

Breathing Problem Reports From Cleanup Workers in Gulf

"One person comes in, it could be multiple things," he said. "Eleven people come in with these symptoms, it makes it incredibly suspicious."

That from Dr. Damon Dietrich who works the emergency room at West Jefferson Medical Center in New Orleans where, for the past week, workers cleaning up the BP oil rig have come in with respiratory problems, nausea, and headaches.

Dr. Dietrich believes the symptoms could be caused by the burning of crude oil or dispersants used to break up crude oil from a massive spill in the Gulf, or from the fumes coming from the crude oil itself.

Everyone has been treated and released.

Gulf Oil Spill Workers Report Health Problems

THURSDAY, June 3 (HealthDay News) -- With the giant oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico now in its sixth week, reports of clean-up workers falling ill are on the rise.

"Within the past week, we've seen a number of workers hospitalized. That's new," said Dr. Gina Solomon, a senior scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council.

More than a dozen workers have been treated at local medical centers for flu-like symptoms ranging from chest pain to dizziness, nausea and headaches, presumably due to exposure to different chemicals emanating from the slick, according to news reports.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I had a vision.

Empty BP buildings, burning.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
When a hurricane pick this stuff up and carries it inland? I wonder what the oil and dispersants will do to vegatation and animal life (that includes Humans), because if its making people sick now, we are in for a disaster like none seen in a long time.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Thats really strange a friend of mine was telling me about a similar dream that he was having that the BP gas stations were empty.

Strange for my first post I didn't think that it would have anything to do with that.

Might be something to this though.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This Gulf of Mexico Syndrome (My term for it) sounds a bit like the early reports of Gulf War Syndrome, doesn't it?

They talk about the oil fires in the Persian Gulf not being responsible for GWS, however I have a buddy who was in the USMC in that war and was part of the security teams protecting the firefighters. He told me about showering in and drinking water with a layer of sheen over it, not to mention breathing air which reeked of oil, He and others in his squad developed extended respiratory problems and were basically told it was bronchitis brought on by the change in weather between the stateside base & the arid Middle Eastern climate.

He told me all of this about 10 years ago. Roughly 5 years ago he developed a rare form of colon cancer and has been desperately fighting it ever since. It has destroyed his health. "Officially" he has been told by the military docters that there is no connection between his Gulf service and his illnesses, but it seems like the medical community outside of the VA hospitals believe otherwise. Hopefully these reports of sick fishermen (and, I would assume soon we'll start hearing about civillians on shore getting sick from the fumes) do not becomes this severe.

If BP is so convinced that Corexit is "safe", then it's time for them to take the C. Montgomery Burns three-eyed fish test. For as long as they use the substance, those within the company approving its use should be required to stand on ships at ground zero, breathing deeply. Then and only then will I begin to believe this crap may be a viable option for combatting this debacle.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
This dispersant will prove to be the single larges factor expanding the tragedy's scope - outside the BOP shenanigans themselves.

Why are they still using it?

Because they are making money by using it.

Corexit is four times more toxic than the oil, but it was developed by Exxon. Exxon shares board members with the manufacturer of Corexit (Nalco Holding Company) and so does BP.

ATS Thread

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join