It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's launches TV ad campaign targeting gay men

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I think I understand what you're trying to say silo ... i guess in your opinion the commercial should either commit to homosexuality openly (by having the father know of his son's sexuality) or not tackle the subject at all.

But we have to take the audience and McDonalds' corporate culture into consideration. They are by and large a very conservative company, not really the kind to push the envelope. In a sense this ad makes perfect sense for them for a European audience ... they portray themselves as not being afraid to broach the subject without actually saying "we accept homosexuality."

It is manipulative, cynical, and ethically weak from both sides of the coin really ... in fact more so if one were gay simply because (as you stated) it reinforces the dogma that homosexuality should remain hidden from one's loved ones.

But, if only for the fact that we're talking about it, it is effective from their POV ...

Ugh ... it's McDonalds, what do we really expect?

I don't know ... as a straight man having spent half my summers on Super Paradise Beach the whole conversation seems ridiculously outdated.

[edit on 2 Jun 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I think I understand what you're trying to say silo ... i guess in your opinion the commercial should either commit to homosexuality openly (by having the father know of his son's sexuality) or not tackle the subject at all.

Preferably, yes, not tackle at all - But if they must - sans the stereotypical classic young son hiding a 'relationship' from a lady-killer father, etc.

Have to say, if I were gay - I'd be ready to boycott the place.

Thanks
peace

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

As I said, part of my purpose here is to understand where you're coming from. I'll re-read your posts a few more times and see if I can get it through my head.

I'm sorry I presumed to tell you what you think. I was obviously mistaken and it's not my place to do that, anyway. I apologize. Thank you for your patience.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Preferably, yes, not tackle at all - But if they must - sans the stereotypical classic young son hiding a 'relationship' from a lady-killer father, etc.

My grandson hides his relationships from his parents (he is straight). Many young people gay or not - - hide their relationship from their parents.

I have a problem with anyone who reacts to a gay person - by putting them immediately into the bedroom. They are just people - - they aren't "humping it" in public at McD.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

As I said, part of my purpose here is to understand where you're coming from. I'll re-read your posts a few more times and see if I can get it through my head.

Not a problem - I don't think we'd have a hard time understanding each other at all if we were face to face. I just blame it on the forum. Not ATS, lol, I mean the means of communicating via forum.

So, if you're ever in my neighborhood let's go to McDonald's for a sit down.

(evil grin)

peace!

Added note: We did get a McDonald's here a few years ago much to my surprise. It's in a town about an hour from me. The commercials are funny as H-E-two stix.
Imagine the difficulty the advertising agencies have trying to twist the mind set of a culture that thrives on fresh veggies, fruit and pasta into convincing them to lunch over a Happy Meal is the way to go!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
First of all.. this paints the French in a bad light. I'm Arcadian/Cajun French and that's just not right - I have blood lines to those people.

Second.. I KNEW McDonalds was in bed with Satan ! Now I have proof.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Not a problem - I don't think we'd have a hard time understanding each other at all if we were face to face. I just blame it on the forum. Not ATS, lol, I mean the means of communicating via forum.

I think you're right.

So, if you're ever in my neighborhood let's go to McDonald's for a sit down.

(evil grin)

Oh, sorry, I don't go to gay hangouts.

Imagine the difficulty the advertising agencies have trying to twist the mind set of a culture that thrives on fresh veggies, fruit and pasta into convincing them to lunch over a Happy Meal is the way to go!

They do have a big job on their hands in almost ANY culture these days. Serving apple chunks and day-old salad just isn't going to cut it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
for gods sake, i bet the gay community will go off on one about this, claiming how this is bad and singling them out. they claim they want to just fit in, then why flaunt your homosexuality and then lay slander when you are called out??? i know not all homosexuals do this, but there are plenty of them.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Canadian calls 'their' gay youth queers...

UN-real...

Maybe this terminology is the norm in Canada, but, I just went WOW!

"It's very encouraging for gay youth to see themselves reflected in such mainstream media," said Helen Kennedy, executive director of EGALE Canada. "It's great that McDonald's is putting it out there, and kudos to the creative team. It's certainly a step in the right direction."

"We know that our queer youth are being . . . verbally harassed and physically assaulted in schools across Canada, so anything that will help to address this issue we totally support," she said.

link

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You are a confiction, silo!!
While I appreciate that you felt some disdain at the word "queer", you should know that it isn't always considered a pejorative slur. It depends on context.

(It is only a word, after all. Sticks and stones, all that stuff....)

Remember the slogan? (How old is this...I guess I'm dating myself...no, NOT 'dating' myself
...er...showing my age...)

Slogan is (was) - "We're here, we're queer! Get used to it!"

Did you notice that Ms. Kennedy was spokesperson for www.egale.ca... ??

[edit on 4 June 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Why can't McDonald's just go back to their popular musical extravaganzas.

It's McDonalds for cryin out loud.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Did you notice that Ms. Kennedy was spokesperson for egale

Yes!
That's what freaked me for a bit.

And yeah, sticks and stones and all that but still - I cannot even IMAGINE calling a young person a 'queer'! (I hate even typing the word)!

It just sound so Archy Bunker! So ignorant.

It also reminds me of when I was growing up and people of color could call themselves and their friends the *N* word - but WATCH OUT NELLIE if anyone of any other color did! I take it in this case it's the same kind'a thing...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It seems be to your hang up. Although "gay" seems to be the current accepted identifier for both homosexual men and women - - Queer is still used.

OUTLAUGH! AMERICA’S QUEER COMEDY FESTIVAL's
www.myspace.com...

LGBTI / Queer News
www.indybay.org...

Queer America: A GLBT History of the 20th Century (Hardcover)
www.amazon.com...

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Annee]

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join