It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men could breastfeed - let's encourage it!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This would mean that teenage boys would also begin to have a hope chest.
There are a number of teenage boys running around in baggy pants because they have a hope crotch. This might add another dimension to puberty.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by Mikey Sly

Well I think I would be jealous to.

However, I've seen his and they were covered with hair.

I can assure you... Not a pretty picture.

[edit on 5/30/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

Well there is always Nair

Reminds me of the guy who took a bet to have implants put in for a year.
After the year was up he liked them so much he never had them taken out LoL

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

The well developed breasts you're speaking of are fat, and not breast tissue. Meaning, if you lose weight they'll go away. Breast tissue on the other hand stays. Even so, only men with messed up hormones could produce milk.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

gross, it would taste like beer and nachos! yuck!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnus_Hunter

Oh please can someone youtube embed that family guy moment?? I'm not a fan, but I caught that "moment" had a good chuckle and moved on my way.

I'll admit a couple of things here. Embarassingly, but oh well.
I was a chronic asthmatic as a kid/teen (which I lost once I took up smoking, go figure). Anyway, the doctors had me on huge amounts of steroids to help build up my chest. Much to my annoyance however, I formed me a nice little set of boozies which the doc told me was caused from the steroids.

Now, meh, I have breasts, what am I gonna do about it? Nothing, couldn't care less now. But as a teenager, it was horribly embarassing. I avoided pools, and when I had to swim, never took of my t-shirt. Anyway, one lazy Sunday afternoon, I was in bed with my partner lightly dozing on and off with our 12 month old.
I awoke to the howls of laughter from my partner, who was crying tears at this stage, for my little kid had latched onto my booby. It was a very uneasy moment for me, but I must say, the suction strength was incredible! It most certainly did NOT feel natural for me though, so I could not imagine a day when this becomes the norm.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Here is Stewie and Peter.

I just can't picture a man doing it.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by JRho900]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by JRho900]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yep likie it or not men can lactate. A failsafe mechanism to keep the offspring from starving if the mother dies. Seems God thought well ahead.
No pills.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by randyvs]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Society is crumbling.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Uh... That would just be epically creepy. Plus, some pervert would probably breastfeed his son.

Plus, males have hairy nipples.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Since the exposure of the female breast has become taboo under Westernization, breastfeeding by men could be a healthy and viable alternative.

Yep! Show me a milking male breast any day! Seriously, no. I think if men are now able to breast feed it is because all the female hormones messing stuff found its way into tap water that men drinks...

A milking male breast?... Society barely stands two men kissing in public, one breastfeeding?...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I think "just because you can doesn't mean you should" applies nicely here.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Brilliant thread, Halfoldman, it's fascinating to see the culturally influenced replies here.

I'm a mother of 3, and I've breastfed 5 long-term, and many others temporarily. I've found that many people are disgusted these days by the idea of a woman feeding a child other than her own, and was told by a social worker who fostered a baby to me that was dirty and disgusting!

Presumably cow teats are cleaner and provide milk better suited to baby humans than human mothers.

My concern about males breastfeeding is that it can be painful and stressful. I don't know too many males who'd put their nipple into the mouth of a sharp-toothed tormentor who has decided biting is fun. - My first kiddie was born with teeth.

Then there's cracked nipples. Imaging your tender nipples swollen, raw and bleeding, and a hungry infant demanding a chance to chomp on them once again.

Many breastfeeding mothers go through mastitis, which leaves you sick, sore and sorry for yourself.

Then there's the pain of overfilled breasts, the need to devote all your time to feeding and building your health during the times the milk dries up, the regimentation of your life-style when a baby needs to be breastfed every three or four hours.

Despite all this, I recommend the experience to everyone, men included. There are special things about breastfeeding, providing the most natural food for your baby in the most loving manner possible, that go beyond words.

It's sad our society is so hung-up.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Thanks for the interesting post!
Particularly with our sub-Saharan HIV pandemic (which effects women 60%) any breastmilk would be advantageous.
However, the issue raises so much ire from both feminine and masculine positions, that I fear it will be even harder to raise in Africa.
I'm not a doctor and cannot say for sure whether all men can produce breastmilk naturally, and what impact on the male body hormones to induce lactation would have.
Nevertheless, I at least think people should be more educated on that option, and the brave men already breastfeeding.

It could certainly help to equal the gender playing-fields of responsible living during child-rearing and pregnancy leave for men.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
My would choke to death on the overwhelming amount of hair on my chest before he got the first drop.

My opinion though...some things are just wrong and shouldn't need an explanation.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gibbon

Hair can be shaved or otherwise removed, and I doubt infants would care too much.
But why should we just accept some things are "wrong" without question?
On what basis?
It was once considered wrong for family planning to be available for non-married couples, and that was quite recent, and some religions still say that.
I mean where is the proof that it is harmful?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by lpowell0627

I do not agree that it should be taboo, and I cannot tell you why, all I can say is that in South Africa one could still see rural black women topless two decades ago.

Perhaps just cultural differences. In the US, mothers are protected by law and able to breastfeed almost anywhere. In fact, companies now have to provide time for mothers to pump breast milk and a private place to do so.

Breastfeeding is also no longer a common sight.

Here, it is pretty common. In fact, I have seem women breast feeding children that literally has to be 3 or 4 years old and managed to get her bra off themselves. That was about the only thing breast feeding related that did give me pause. But, who am I to judge?

What is "natural" and "unnatural" is a different debate.
Obviously it is NOT UNNATURAL for some men to breastfeed.
It is culturally repugnant, perhaps.
Culture can change.

Culturally unacceptable is not my point. Aside from those men that have this condition, and therefore can naturally breast feed, I believe that our quality of formula is more than sufficient and any medication that a man had to take in order to be able to breast feed would negate the benefits of breast milk. Medication almost always has side effects and it's the ones we don't find out about for 20 years that would concern me the most. Passing this medication to a baby via the man's breast milk is my bottom line issue.

PS. Was the birth control pill "natural"?

Well, no. But this is why doctors recommend you stay off on birth control pills for at least 6 months, it depends on how long you were on them, before even trying to get pregnant.

Birth control pills come with tons of possible side affects which is further evidence of why I don't think men should take meds to breast feed.

Particularly in HIV/AIDS ravaged regions for couples of discordant HIV status, an HIV-negative man could feed the baby for his HIV-positive wife.
Until now there is no evidence known to myself that the milk is of inferior quality.

It's a difficult thing for me to grasp because our formula in the US is top notch. I would have to better understand regulations and quality control in South Africa in order to form an opinion on which would be better -- meds or formula.

Again, it's not the quality of the man's milk. It is the fact that unless this man has this very rare condition, medication would be needed in order to cause him to begin producing milk.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I woulda just been happy if my husband changed some diapers.......forget the feedings

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

Well one could use reverse psychology around this: "Look at those fathers who breastfeed their babies, and YOU don't even change a diaper!"

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

let's encourage it!

Let's not.

Wait.. depends.. does that mean men would get paid time off work equal to maternity leave?

Actually, nope, still not worth it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Well call me Loretta .... !

ex]“STAN: I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.

REG: What?! LORETTA: It's my right as a man.

JUDITH: Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?

LORETTA: I want to have babies.

REG: You want to have babies?!

LORETTA: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.

REG: But... you can't have babies.

LORETTA: Don't you oppress me.

REG: I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus going to gestate?! You going to keep it in a box?!”
link

Men ... breast feeding

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join