It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men could breastfeed - let's encourage it!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I used to wonder as a child, why do men have nipples, and some, even fairly well formed breasts? Later, the boring answer in Biology 101 was that we were all born female, and that male nipples were a useless remnant of an initial female body. However, I also learnt that under starvation, or minor hormone additions men can produce breast-milk!
Indeed this case from "Ripley's Believe it or not: Curiosities" (Ripley Pub. 2007, p. 207) confirms a not so rare phenomenon:

BREASTFED BY DAD: In 2002, it was reported that a Sri Lankan man, whose wife died while giving birth to their second child, was able to breastfeed his elder daughter. Mr. B. Wijerante from Walapanee, near Colombo, discovered his talent after his 18-month-old daughter Nisanala refused to take formula milk. He said: "She was so used to her mother's milk and rejected the powdered milk so I tried feeding through the bottle. Unable to see her cry, I offered my breast. That's when I discovered that I could breastfeed her." Doctors say that men with a hyperactive prolactine hormone are able to produce breast milk.

Well, men have expected to mess with female hormones as "birth control" for decades. Isn't it time they gave something small back, like breastfeeding?
Since the exposure of the female breast has become taboo under Westernization, breastfeeding by men could be a healthy and viable alternative.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I completely disagree with you that baring a woman's breast, especially in order to feed a baby, has become taboo. In fact, I would argue that quite the opposite has happened. There have been many, many strides in the acceptance of breastfeeding as a right of any woman.

As far as men being able to breastfeed, I believe, unless taking medication to help create the flow, this is a rare instance and certainly not the norm.

Which begs my next question -- why on Earth would we want man taking medication in order to go against nature just so they can breastfeed, and in turn, then pass that medication onto the baby?

What is the point?

Women are made to breastfeed. Men, unless they have this rare condition, are not. I certainly don't see the need to alter the human body with more drugs that down the road will surely be found to have some type of questionable side effects.

Whatever medication is taken, will be passed directly to the child. I can't really see the benefit to that at all and frankly the negative aspects may outweigh any benefit received from breast milk in general.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'd rather let's not encourage men to breastfeed...
For all our sake.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Since the exposure of the female breast has become taboo under Westernization, breastfeeding by men could be a healthy and viable alternative.

What? Why? I don't understand why any real man would want to inflict this upon himself. Seriously, I'm at a loss for words.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
I'd rather let's not encourage men to breastfeed...
For all our sake.

Yes, I'm not a violent person but I will become one if I am going to be forced to see men breastfeeding as I run through the park. This is the line where civilized society will no longer have any draw for me.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I do not agree that it should be taboo, and I cannot tell you why, all I can say is that in South Africa one could still see rural black women topless two decades ago. Breastfeeding is also no longer a common sight.
I think that's very sad, because breastmilk is better than formula milk, some brands of which had to withdraw their claims and adverts.

What is "natural" and "unnatural" is a different debate.
Obviously it is NOT UNNATURAL for some men to breastfeed.
It is culturally repugnant, perhaps.
Culture can change.

PS. Was the birth control pill "natural"?
Particularly in HIV/AIDS ravaged regions for couples of discordant HIV status, an HIV-negative man could feed the baby for his HIV-positive wife.
Until now there is no evidence known to myself that the milk is of inferior quality.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I could engage in a "tit for tat" discussion on this thread,
but I won't, and just say "pass" or "no way" to the suggestion made in this thread.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
NO NO NO

There is something disturbingly wrong with this. Perhaps a man "could", but does that mean a man "should."

And what about the nutrient value? Does anyone actually know whether it is the same milk a woman produces?

And men should not have breasts to begin with. If you have them you need to go outside and get some exercise.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey Sly

It would make for a good skit on a some hidden video show of a guy on a park bench breastfeeding what looks like a real baby as joggers run by in disgust. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for someone to come by with an extreme opinion on the matter.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Ah the horrible nightmares it would cause the poor babies too. "This hairy ugly thing they make me drink from!!!!"

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Not only that but I'm sure it wouldn't take long for someone to call the cops and get CPS involved and have the child taken away for abuse/neglect/endangerment etc. whatever they feel they can crap on a parent for.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

HAHAHA

Imagine if Freud was still alive and this happened.

I think he would have a lot more to add to his books.

On the bright side though, maybe guys would start looking at a woman's face more, maybe not.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
If men could breastfeed, I think they'd end up squirting their mates with the milk and massive water...erm...milk fight would break out.

That's what my mates and I would do at least....because we're 5 apparently. lol

Rev

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Speak for yourself!

Men don't even know they can get breast cancer and all the "female" troubles with nipples and breasts. Why can men go topless, and women can't? Those are the issues, it seems.
Even women once thought breastfeeding was disgusting, and upper class and royal women always had wet-nurses.
But now we know better.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey Sly

A friend of mine had two nicely formed breast. Skinny as a rack.

He had them surgically removed and they just grew back again. After a lot of research they found out he produced a female hormone that caused him growing breast.

What if it is faith and he finds a wife unable to give milk...? What if it is supposed to be...?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Some interesting websites:
www.unassistedchildbirth.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
Strange, the Sri Lankan father is not ashamed, and it appears that in Hinduism and Buddhism all gods have mixed gender aspects, so it is not as shocking as it may be in the West.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Woman can't go topless because men are weak and get aroused by breasts.
So the make women pay.

Just like with the religious covering of the body. Always the female to get screwed over is it not ?

Ironically they still get screwed anyway. In some cultures they even get stoned after.

[edit on 5/30/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Why can men go topless, and women can't?

Now you want men to run around wearing sports bras? Come on what is your agenda?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

Ohh... Yes that would be the first thing on my mind...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I remember with my first child that I wanted to share in the bonding experience between mother and child through breastfeeding. Being a man I was thought insane and told it's not possible.But I had heard stories of men breast feeding in the past. Even males slaves that were used as wet nurses.

We must get past the EGO with things like this. Think how wonderful it would be to share that bond and to give the mother a break. Now I don't believe you have to use hormones to achieve this feat as a male, just the power of the mind or some simple stimulation.

www.unassistedchildbirth.com...

I never did breast feed, but my nipple was a pacifier for both our children from time to time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join