It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation ME

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I was brousing on MSN and guess what i found!

I got to tell you...im part of 'generation me'....and i have been trying to tell people about this for years!

My generation must NEVER gain power...NEVER.Or this country is finished! God help the world if generation y or z gets in power!

Many people see the current group of college students — sometimes called 'Generation Me ' — as one of the most self-centered, narcissistic, competitive, confident and individualistic in recent history," said Konrath, who is also affiliated with the University of Rochester Department of Psychiatry.

Well DUH....thats what i've been telling you people!

Compared to 30 years ago, the average American now is exposed to three times as much nonwork-related information," Konrath said. "In terms of media content, this generation of college students grew up with video games , and a growing body of research, including work done by my colleagues at Michigan, is establishing that exposure to violent media numbs people to the pain of others

The elites knew what they were doing no doubt

The ease of having 'friends' online might make people more likely to just tune out when they don't feel like responding to others' problems, a behavior that could carry over offline," O'Brien said

I knew facebook and MYspace were bullcrap!

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 30-5-2010 by tauempire]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by tauempire]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
S+F Admitting it is the first step to changing. Luckily there won't be any generation left after 2012. Therefore we don't have to worry about the worst generation in history getting their collective knarled Xbox crippled hands on the world for much longer...

This positive message of hope was brought to you by the good people at the light foundation. Moving together as one collective bulb of enlightenment. No one under 30 can join the light because you are the meek and your destiny is to inherit the earth....

[edit on 30-5-2010 by strangleholder1]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Weren't they calling the modern era the "Me Decade" way back in the 1970s?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Exactly what we have said for ages some of us, and the ptb knew this would be the result.

Like i say the world deserves all the rubbish it has.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tauempire

This why I believe strongly in never hiring anyone from your generation and firing them whenever spotted inside the work place. Everything above is true. When going to a work lunch they will sit mindlessly clicking away on their smart phones never once communicating to the rest of the people at the table or to one another. They come in to the work place believing that they are superior to everyone else even those that have been doing the job for decades and when tasked with anything beyond moderate complexity have a complete and utter break down, start complaining about the stress and corporate greed and disappear for hours on end no doubt twittering about how they are so much more evolved than everyone else at work.

No thanks, I'm boycotting everyone in that generation.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I agree, and it starts with what most kids are exposed to.

Cool kids hang out with the good looking girls...in most cases at least where I live you also must listen to hip hop...because its the cool thing too. In most songs it only focuses on "ME", "me and my money, me and my girls, me and my talent". I often wonder why so many people like this type of music because really it just seems like they are bragging.

Also I like to point out the new "kids" television networks. Watch Disney Channel, a lot of the shows have the kids all acting the same; like little brats always scheming and showing disrespect. I think I'm suffering to "The Suite Life" but can't be sure.

I also think the education system is to blame. As a kid going through school, I did plenty of things to get in trouble. Not ONCE did I ever get seriously punished because honestly I was able to sit in an office and deny deny deny until I was proved innocent. If I was threatened with punishment I would always threaten back with things like "fine thats ok, I will fail and it will look bad on you". I just feel like the education system has lost any hint of authority.

Id like to add that in my opinion, the "ME's" are the ones that are the ones that appeal to mainstream culture the most.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by kyle43]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Weren't they calling the modern era the "Me Decade" way back in the 1970s?

I recall it being more of an 80's thing. Heck even underground punk bands sang about it. I present the Forgotten Rebels as an example.

There are some explicit lyrics. I dunno if it will be filtered, so i am waring in advance.

THE ME GENERATION

Sally sixteen thinks she's a star
Spends lots of time in a bar
Or in a drive in restaurant
Never lets a greaser by in his car
Jim's tough in his redneck shirt
His face half covered in dirt
He thinks he's tough when he knows he's stoned
But he's never quite so alert

Chorus:
The future of the world lies with
this boy and girl
Ain't your head in a whirl when you
look at this boy and at this girl
Cos' they're the me generation
They're the assholes of the eighties
They're the me generation
They'll be lonely old men and ladies
They're the me generation
Are we old or are we crazy?
Are we crazy? Are we crazy?

Jill's parents they got a divorce they both found somebody else
Ain't that quite an example to set for the kids
# everyone' Just love yourself.
Joe Rocker says he gets sex a lot
But we know he's full of #
But he's got lots of high school groupie kids
Who really think that he's it.
The future of the world lies
with this boy and girl ....

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I noticed it in the 90's, people just desperate to destroy others lifes.

Glad i am alone, and do not want anything to do with any person, give me the companies of a little puppy or dog any time over humans.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I noticed it in the 90's, people just desperate to destroy others lifes.

I'm sure you are all right - 70s, 80s, 90s. Its just this ME generation that has absolutely perfected narcissism, disrespect, and lack of ethics.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

While it may be slightly OT. i watched an HBO docu about the Black on Black killings in the LA gangs, and the associated history of how it all got so bad. I found it all really interesting that the attitude of the "I'm out for mine" didn't really start until the early 70's. It seemed that this sort of attitude was personified within the movie 'Supa Fly'.

Admittedly i am being a bit glib, as there were many factors that led to this happening, the Break up of the Us organization, and the BPP. The COINTELLPRO of the FBI didn't help, the Assassination of RFK in LA was another factor, and the list goes on. Regardless tho, I would say that it is fair to say that the entire "ME" sort of attitude started in the 70's and peaked in the 80's. Started to become more institutionalized in the 90's and now just considered a normal way of behaviour.

Again there are factors that went into the creation of this sociological sort of event of change within the society at large. The force multiplier of Television and the images of how the people are to behave in given circumstances have an effect, over a period of time, on people sub consciousnesses. Not to mention the post modern concepts that the language of symbols and signs that is used by businesses and corporations has an effect on our ability to properly communicate with each other could lead to a break down in our ability to create lasting relationships which makes individuals more introverted, and focused on their wants and desires to achieve a more materialistic sense of satisfaction.

I could probably ramble on for a while about this, but i hope i made some point in there somewhere, LOL

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauempire

My generation must NEVER gain power...NEVER.Or this country is finished! God help the world if generation y or z gets in power!

Politicians and the Elite are already extremely selfish.
Without human empathy, humanity will not survive.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by strangleholder1

riiigggghhhtt...... this coming from someone who's avatar is a xbox video game...? reallycome on we have to stand up for our generation and know that ours isn't as corupted as the gov we have now.... I'll put my life onthe line that generation y or z has more truth and rightousness than our past generations.... think about it all of my friends as of now have many diff races involved... now think about past generations with prodomananty the same races with their group of friends.. whay I'm trying to say os this is just one example of togatherness an if we run our generation for politics or gov or really anything we would push harder for a transparent gov, police, military etc. I love my generation it's filled with less critics and biasts and more ppl who don see colour and only strive for a better world... u didn't see this big of a " green " movement with ur parents generation did u?????

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tauempire

Video games are not violent media. Not any more than book are. Or movies. Should we stop our children from reading books, just because a small percentage of them are Harlequin romance novels?

Oh, right. Our kids don't read books.

But thanks to video games, they CAN still read, because you have to read to get through the game. Or read the FAQ.

But still, the fact that most "experts" doing "studies" aren't aware of this simple difference sheds a lot of doubt about the veracity of any data they come up with, at least to me.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
...the shrink in the article clearly has an agenda to make money off of a generation that is no more narcississtic than any of the previous generations - and - sadly, way too many folks are buying into the shrink's hooey...

...if you think video games are making kids more violent, how did the youngster generation of the era manage to survive the ndn wars, the revolution, the civil war or slavery without turning into psychopaths?... sure, some did but relatively few considering how violent REAL life was back then...

...kids today have issues but every generation does... for the most part, the kids i meet nowadays are just as normal as my kids were, who were just as normal a generation as mine was when there were narcissistic songs like "i did it MY way" - and - rockNroll was the devil's music - and - janis and jimi were evil incarnate, lmao...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Are we for real here?

Can we please wakeup and stop generalizing everyone under 1 category and realize that the world is polarized..

Sorry i am under the impression that there is plenty of true people in our generation being suppressed.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Jeez what a bunch of cynics! Just about every aspect of my generation is being attacked here! I'm 16 and I most of the music I listen to doesnt go beyond 75', I read Carl Jung and Krishnamurti. Instead of following pop culture i follow international politics and I in my free time i like to study psychology! Alot of my friends have the same interests as i do and resent being associated with the unintentionally ignorant narcissistic peers of our generation. I understand why one may tend to generalise as the posters on the first page do but c'mon, we dont all have the single minded mentality they speak of.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitezombie93
Jeez what a bunch of cynics! Just about every aspect of my generation is being attacked here! I'm 16 and I most of the music I listen to doesnt go beyond 75', I read Carl Jung and Krishnamurti. Instead of following pop culture i follow international politics and I in my free time i like to study psychology! Alot of my friends have the same interests as i do and resent being associated with the unintentionally ignorant narcissistic peers of our generation. I understand why one may tend to generalise as the posters on the first page do but c'mon, we dont all have the single minded mentality they speak of.

Do you meet your friends on facebook and talk about how different you all are compared to your peers.... LOL!

I'm just kidding, I'm sure you're great...No really!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I recently came across an article that talked about a recent study, done by Scandanavian scholars, talking about how age and growing up causes completely different world views, ethics and outlooks on what is more important, myself or everyone else. I will not post the political article because it has some blatantly anti-progressive bias by the writer and I don't want this slipping into a political bash. Though I will find the source study.

To give a synopsis of what the claim was, they claim almost the parallel of the "Me Generation", moreso they have cocnluded that as teens start to gather and project world views based on thier ( the teens) experiences, they have a tendency to be more politically fringe than their elders. They more think things are entitled to them and that ideals that take from more powerful or rich even,to provide them and others in thier peer groups, with more opportunities and cash to be able to things that they want to do rather than saddling them with responsibilities. Now these same scholars also claim that as the teens grow and are forced to take more responsibility and earn things through thier own labor they tend to be more inward thinking and a tendency to not give the same thought so to speak, with the plight of a neighbor.

Now this sounds, and the journalist who summarized the study, DID place an anti-progressive bias/political spin to his or her's own words. So I submit this as nothing more than possible parallel, something to mash in the teeth, so to speak. Not bashing any one or making a political statement.

Here is a direct link to the study as brought to the front by Science magazine. Science magazine comment only on the study's merits, the Science article was brought to my attention through outside sources: Study

[edit on 30-5-2010 by djvexd]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
There are a few things to ask about your character OP;
Do you consider yourself superior, mentally, to people who are part of the "generation me"? Are you a more clear, and outward thinker than they are? Or, are you exactly what you're trying to say is a negative trait in your post?

I ask because things are changing ALL THE TIME around us. What will the generation after the next one be like? It's impossible to say because things have kind of hit full-throttle ever since the industrial age. It's only been a hundred-some-odd years and we're going to space on the regular, we've been places under the sea which have only been written about in fictitious mythos, and we're exploring realities OTHER than our own.

And as all this is happening, more and more players in the game are coming in. People are born all the time, and certainly many DIFFERENT kinds of people are born all the time, in different circumstances, with different personalities. Every life will be different.

So; back to the questions. I suppose that it would be in your best interest to admit that; certainly not everybody is the same in that regard, and that these people are not necessarily "for the worse".

Evolution will happen one way or another, and it's all about adaptation, and right about now First World Countries are having a really easy time surviving. I would argue that it's TOO easy. Meanwhile, a continent away, at the same time; Third World Countries are having a really hard of a time surviving. Again, I would most certainly argue it's too hard. Are those people, do you think, part of the "generation me"?
So just give it time, I'm willing to bet that once all the third world nations regain their power (and hopefully keep it local this time around), that humanity would progress 100 times faster because of the way the generations before them lived.

Don't be so quick to divide people into strata in society. It's an evil path to go down.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Originally posted by ararisq

I'm sure you are all right - 70s, 80s, 90s. Its just this ME generation that has absolutely perfected narcissism, disrespect, and lack of ethics.

And here I was thinking to myself this whole time... you are a good person, you respect your elders, you do charity work once a fortnight, you tutor underprivileged kids taking time out of your own life... damn the ME generation!

Way to go mate, you used one mighty brush to paint that picture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join