It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Gamers Can Control Dreams, Study Suggests

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I've played videogames since when i was 3, and i've never seen myself from third person in dreams, nor have i had more control. Not to mention the only times i've had lucid dreams was with the wakebacktobed tehnique. Seriously, am i the only one? I have had dreams where videogames were mixed with reality, but it was nothing like you guys have been describing. Just like a glitched up videogame

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Over 30 years of video games, millions upon millions of people of all ages playing games for them 30 years.
Yeah pretty sure its easy to find a link to anything now, lucid dreaming, violence, psychotic behaviour, flu like symptoms, cancer and homosexuality.
See my point.

I don't blame kids who shoot up a school on video games, movies and music, I blame kitchen sinks, because every house they lived in had a sink, hmmm makes you wonder.
Video game links are pretty moot, good or bad.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have been able to control my dreams before i owned or played computer games. Its got nothing to do with computer games, thats just an excuse because the more awake you become, the more attached to the subconcious you become and so can manipulate, control your dreams as a form of communication with your higher self.

Just my opinion!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
My husband plays hard core World Of Warcraft.. ill have to ask him more about his dreams
i have observed him moving his hands as if was using the keyboard and mouse, but ive also watched him move his arms and legs as if he was rope climbing lol
i will keep an eye on him more closly when he sleeps from now on

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Well I have used dreams for training before. I did martial arts from a young age and I would relive sparring sessions in my dreams and I would actually improve my skills. What happened the other day though was a bit different. I dreamt about various situations involving myself getting hit by a car. Every time I got hit, the scenario started over and was slightly different. I soon realized I was dreaming and so I started avoiding the cars and I soon got the hang of it and I wasn't getting hit anymore. I never thought anything of this dream until Last week when I was crossing the street at a stop sign. The car had stopped as he should have and so I began to cross, the driver then gunned it for no apparent reason and I turned around as I noticed the movement out of the corner of my eye. In a split second I jumped and I ran on top of the car as it sped off. I turned around and watched the car go, still in shock. There were a couple people around and they were looking at me with expressions difficult to describe. I just went on my way because I realized I just acted out one of the scenarios from my dream. I may have seemed really nonchalant about it but so many out of the ordinary things have happened to me that I'm used to it.

I forgot to mention that I had earphones on the whole time, which is why I didn't hear the car and turned around to see it to confirm the movement I noticed out of the corner of my eye.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yeah this is true for me i have just never really thought about it until now.

As a bit of a gamer myself, i play alot of strategy games such as command & conquer i find myself in some really lucid dreams where i put my game tactics to the test in dreams? close to that of the game LOL really messed up, and yes i mainly have these type of dreams when i have had a couple of hours game play before bedtime,

they must be the very last dreams i have of the night because i always slowly wake up shortly after and is probably the reason i remember the dreams so well either that or i could have been dreaming of the same thing all night lol, Hmm intresting read tho.
Star & flag

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tokai Kaidan
..the only thing I hate about dreams are the ones where I'm trying to shoot a gun, but the trigger is so heavy to pull that I find myself trying to pull the trigger with two hands and getting over run. Then when the bullet is finally fired, it just falls out the end of the barrel. It's kind of like the dreams of trying to run away, but I'm only running in place, or running in slow motion as my opponent is running normal speed.

I have the same kind of problems sometimes
. Guns fell apart or they shoot bullets, that don't doo s*it.. And the running thing is really weird. You try your hardest, but you just don't seem to move...

The "Exit menu" is a real life saver though.. Just when the super mutants are about to smash your head in, you just quit the dream

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It all makes sense to me now, I never understood how I was able to control my dreams and for them to be so lucid. While I only dream in first person never in third and my dreams are mostly about real life or things that could happen in real life, never about a video game that i played.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I don't think it works for everyone. My little brother plays video games almost 24-7 and he can hardly ever remember his dreams. The times that he can he says that they were completely uncontrollable and hazy. I on the other hand almost never play video games and my dreams are extremely vivid and I always have full control over them.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is an awsome theory that deserves clinical experimentation. There may not seem to be much face value in scientific findings, but smarter people than me may parlay it into something huge.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
well. I am a gamer, still i have been able to control my dreams since i remember
that is why i never have bad dreams. When i feel fear or something during my dreams i just need something weird happening on the dream to realize that everything there is just a creation of my mind and as suck i can alter it as i please. It my world and i can do anything, so why i realize it i can have lots of fun

I think everyone can do it, just remember when you see something really weird its because you are dreaming and if you are then its your world

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I sometimes have some pretty intense dreams.
I punch in my sleep,i kick,i get startled.
Maybe this could explain why "some" people are experiencing abductions.
They read too many books and get obsessed so the sub conscious offers them what they want?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
As someone with a natural spirit who also likes to stab her some crazy Italian people in the face, this article makes me super happy! Our destiny and evolution is starting to look like it will come from many fronts, and the ability of video games to help us control our dreams could be an added bonus and a spiritual gift of this new technological aspect of humanity's consciousness. We need to hone our mental powers if we are to face anything we need to in the future!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I can't control my dreams!

However, I do have some epic vivid dreams, frequently. Always running from zombies or dinosaurs. The worst is when I'll be dreaming about having a Ferrari, then when I go to get in it, it shrinks to the size of my foot.

I've been gaming since NES!

[edit on 30-5-2010 by porschedrifter]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have a theory.

It's said that when someone experiences a lucid dream (awareness of dreaming and control of creation) , their logical systems become activated.

Perhaps playing a video game activates a lot of the same brain regions as dreaming. You also gotta use a lot of logic and imagination in gaming.

So the theory is that playing video games for extended periods of time may condition the brain (wire as such) so that dreaming is experienced with the ability to remain logical (aware) .

----------------------

slightly off topic, sorry:

I'm amazed that people have nightmares as adults. When I first learned that people couldn't control their dreams as well, I was baffled! I haven't had a nightmare since I was real young. My logical capabilities are on 24/7.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I diffenately think there is truth behind this study. I that it can play a role with the whole deja vu phenomenom. I'm an avid gamer and just yesterday i was playing and a whole sequence played out right down to my brother asking me a question, for the minute that this was occuring i got the most unbelievable feeling of deja vu.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
It was actually level editing software that aloud me to finally lucid dream.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
oh hell yeah dude. I'll be in astral land and tossing all sorts of magic spells around and where do you think I got the idea for all of that?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Yeah i also get problems doing certain things in dreams, like trying to sprint (i dont know why, but i just cant run faster than a light jog in a dream), looking behind me or turning on a light, these things sort of let me know its a dream if im unsure

then again its worse to be able to punch in dreams and accidentally wake yourself up with a bruised fist from hitting the wall without restraint lol.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Xadaz]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Very interesting. Yet another reason not to listen to those who say gaming is a waste of time.
Add this to the "keeping the mind sharp and staving off dementia" rationale.

www.livescience.com...

Several intriguing parallels between lucid dreams and video games first emerged when Gackenbach examined past research on games. Both lucid dreamers and gamers seemed to have better spatial skills and were less prone to motion sickness.

Interestingly enough though, while I would agree with both the above, gaming seems to have no impact on vertigo. Lol. I even get it in game when on something high and looking down as an avatar.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join