Video Gamers Can Control Dreams, Study Suggests

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tetrahedron

Diablo 1 and Starcraft were the best.

I can't even remember much of anything else from my younger teen/preteen years.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Star & Flagged
I've always been a fan of video games and experience lucid dreams very frequently which always seem to be under my control. Also If I wake up from my sleep I can go back to sleep and pick up where I left off on said dream.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Don't have time to read the whole thread. I'm sure more have already reported the same as i will.
I can definately control dreams in the same way you would play a game or use a computer. When I have a nightmare and it gets really really bad I just press the ESC key in my mind and the dream stops. It works everytime. Sometimes during a dream I keep asking myself - should I stop this now or wait till it gets worse? Because sometimes I want to see a nightmare unfold. I can think rationaly with MY head during a dream as calm as if I'd watch a movie and comment to a friend.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Before I read anything but the OP’s post, i.d like to say that if I play video games before bed no connection as I can recall. But if I fall asleep with the TV on I can have some pretty serious dreams.
Note to self: Do Not Fall Asleep if you are watching one of those Zombie Apocalypse movies!!!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm a big gamer too and I have had quite a few lucid dreams in the past, not sure if gaming had anything to do with it though. Although come to think of it a few years ago I had a lucid dream which was inspired by playing grand theft auto and all of a sudden I realised I was dreaming and stole a car and went for a joy ride and was being chased by the cops. It was a lot of fun

Great article
S+F

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
reply to post by andy1033

Well obviously mind altering drugs, and meditation help those guys to lucid dream. Different strokes for different folks.

The study should therefore differentiate for who it applies more to, but it does not. In my experience I have simply found excessive videogame sessions to diminish dreaming depth and realism.

Involving dreams are more intense and therefore more vivid, and easier to recognize and act on dream signs. Instead my dreams have been shallow and thought-like so lucid moments pass by quicker as nothing of extraordinary significance. If this study is right in anything is their ability to dull nightmares but sadly at the expense of all dreaming in general, at least in my experience.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I game quite a lot and i definitly concur with the study.

Every time i have a great time playing games and then going to sleep makes me remeber my dreams a lot better when i didnt game.

I also manage to steer some of my dreams without any previous training to do so!

Its amazing how good i remember some of my dreams! Some of my dreams are better remembered then some of my real life expiriences!!!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Lucidology 101: How To Trick Your Body Into Falling Asleep To Astral Project, Lucid Dream And Have Out Of Body Experiences

Waking Sleep Paralysis: The Holy Grail For New Lucid Dreamers & OBEers

The Stop Drop & Roll Sleep Command To Fall Asleep Fast

5 New Sleep Commands To Trick Your Body Into Falling Asleep
www.lucidology.com...

Fast Relaxation For Lucid Dreams And OBEs

How To Optimize Brain Chemistry For Lucid Dreams & OBEs

The Fastest Way To Have Lucid Dreams & OBEs Tonight - Timer Method

The 4 Easiest Movement-Free Reality Checks For Lucid Dreams And OBEs

Exit Blindness - 3 Fast Solutions

OBE Vibrations & 3 Ways To Tell How Close You Are To An OBE

Fast Exit Methods For Lucid Dreams & OBEs

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am a gamer as well, only I have always had the ability to lucid dream. Although I do think that gaming helps with my PTSD.
I wonder if the type of game matters. I don't think that regular 1 player games help with my PTSD, but MMORPGs definitely. PvP for the win. Unless you are getting totally Owned in PvP, then that might reinforce it.
When the confidence in your gaming skills goes up, your confidence in real life goes up, due to the critical thinking that is involved. You think to yourself, ok, I handled that extremely complex and dangerous situation in game, so I think I can think on my feet well enough next time I am in a dangerous situation in real life. It eases some anxiety.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Okay what I'm going to do here might be controversial to some, but I'm going to give you a Jungian-style interpretation: then give you some of my own insight into the "esoteric" or "metaphysical" origins of this experience.

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

The "dream" I had on this Yom Kippur began with a series of false awakeings where I thought intruders had broken into my home. Each time it happened there was no intruder. In one I thought I saw a relative sitting on a couch in my living room. I returned to bed in the dream. In another there were friends in the hallway. Again I returned to bed. Each time I had a false awakening I determined that the preceeding awakening was just a dream and this new awakening was real. At some point there was a transition, where I was no longer in my home. Here I can only recall glimpses of interactions with what I might call angels, especially one prosecuting angel who had zero sympathy or compassion. I can recall glimpses of trying to reason with him but he had no mercy, remorse and he had much contempt for humanity. He didn't really seem real talkitive either.

I now recall some of this imagery, especially the cold black hearted angel. I remember trying to ask him something, don't remember the question though. Seem to remember trying to get him to speak, but he was very laconic.

Angels no matter the domination or context represent messengers of nature in a sense. Experiences like yours tend to be associated with times when people are really re-examining their life either by choice or by circumstance. The "false awakenings" also tend to be a symbol of the realization of this as well. It's a symbolic way of acknowledging the various paths at our disposal, and at the same time realizing the one we truly desire to be a part of. It tends to put life into perspective when you wake up in an alternate reality; it makes you appreciate more of what you have usually, or else you wouldn't feel the need to "go back" or that the current reality is "wrong". Sometimes we don't even realize it though, and we just "wake up" again. That's where the loop can get sticky as it is literally our subconscious telling you to WAKE UP!
from and into something in our share reality here. This may be why you remember the apathetic angel so vividly as he/she/it represented the sternness of choice that initiated this experience. It didn't matter what you said or did, the experience just had to be in it's eyes. Why did it just have to be? Well to start this conversation and many others in the past I'm sure in the very least. Symbols like "angels" help link this shared consciousness to itself, which leads you to the purpose & cause of dreaming; life itself.

I can recall glimpses of others trying to be more helpful and giving me advice. I can also recall reading things and speaking about other things, but I can't remember what I read or talked about. I cant even remember the setting, but it seemed like a wide open interior of a building, like a great hall. It seemed as if I was there for a long time.

Though I cant recall the words exchanged I was released at the end after meeting Im wanting to say some level of satisfaction with the "angels" I spoke to.

I do vaguely recall some of this. I kind of remember the hall or forum. The memory of reading anything is completely gone. The clearest memory is the nearly silent black hearted angel who seemed disgusted with my presence. Some details in regards to when I awakened I didn't give in the original thread. I mentioned feeling at peace when I awakened in the original thread, but I also remember feeling the same feeling one has after waking from surgery.

The whole experience was very bizarre.

The "hall" or "forum" tends to symbolize learning, education, conversation, community, discussion, expansion, and civility. After your difficult choices where made (symbolized in your actions & reactions to the experience up to that point) you entered a space which allowed you to expand into what you would/will become. When we get "downloaded" with imagery and other sensory information during these experiences our subconscious is recording it as certain belief patterns. This is evident in the vividness of the memory of the event no matter how "cloudy" and the feeling you had when you woke up. Experiences like these literally help shape our lives; we can take toll of this by thinking about the conversations sharing these types of experiences has brought, or how it affected how we acted from that day on, etc. Especially those experiences that directly related by conversation or association that offered further insight into particular instances such as this one.

It seemed like it was time for you to "wake up" and realize yourself in a sense and these entities where scripted to help you out with that. "Angelics" are interesting creatures. They are always very blatant with their intentions, the trick is understanding exactly what those actually might be
And in a sense, you did have a surgery; an energetic one. Those "life shaping" attributes of experiences like these also shape our belief patterns; which are literally hard coded in your cells, which literally writes & rewrites our DNA. The more profound of change we have at our core, conscious or not, the more "shell shocked" we can feel after wards. Anyone who has had an intense hypnotherapy, healing, reiki, PSYCH-K, etc session can attest to that sort of "floating" feeling you get when your mind is free of "something"...

Very cool/interesting experience: And all dreams have a precognitive element to them as they are a portion of the shared information layer/reality we are experiencing which is beyond & linked through time. Just like we find the precognitive element in this dream of yours here in this "forum", where all kinds of cool learning is going on, information coming from all kinds of different "messengers" from another dimension (the internet) leaving us all with a little sense of peace when we "wake up"(sign off & commence with life away from the computer) I hope.

If you wanted any more elaboration or had any questions on anything symbolically or whatever, let me know. Thanks for sharing by the way

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid_dream_tricks
[videos]

Are these all your videos?

If so, kudos on taking the time to detail some steps for YouTube.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jolois
True!
I used to play WoW alot, and I would go sleep just after...
I had those weird dreams.. woah !

But now I stopped and I can't dream (well like 1 dream/week MAX)..

Yeh man , i know what you mean , i used to play WoW to, lol, ALOT

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I play a lot of WoW and I've had quite a few instances where I try to use a hearth stone to escape a bad dream, it hasn't really worked yet though. I'm not totally lucid in these dreams, yet for some reason I try to mimic the casting animation my character does in-game when hearth-ing. I've also been able to fly in my dreams, something I'm not very good at, by mimicking the way my flying mount flies in-game. I guess it's more hovering than flying though, since in game you're flying mount is able to stay in the air without moving forward. Again, I'm not always lucid, but I just imagine holding down the jump key and up I go. Thanks for posting this, SnF!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The first lucid dream I ever had was because I'd just watched a Smurfs episode about something like that.

In my dream I was running around like Wolfenstein 3D creating my own armor and weapons in the best game ever. lol

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

I think the study should expand to see what kind of postures people assume when gaming and look at their breathing. I would bet many people enter a trance like state when gaming.

Don't need a study for that. I can tell you as a primarily PC gamer, when I mouse+keyboard I have found myself "detached" from my arms. It's an odd feeling, but definitely something to be described as trance-like.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Shakesbeer

Sure you can, anything to help!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Definately true been a gamer since i was 6 years old haven't had a nightmare since i was 9.

Whenever something scary happens i can literally pause the dream, turn myself invincible and spawn weapons to shoot them.

I wander into other's dreams as well.. there is a certain woman i keep seeing a lot..i just wish i knew her name

I know somehow that she is real,she feels familiar each time a sif i'm slowly heading towards meeting her.

It's odd but good.

There is more to the dreamworld than just random images thats for sure.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Playing video games before bedtime may give people an unusual level of awareness and control in their dreams, LiveScience has learned.

That ability to shape the alternate reality of dream worlds might not match mind-bending Hollywood films such as "The Matrix," but it could provide an edge when fighting nightmares or even mental trauma.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Good-bye, nightmares!
Hello, Red Dead Redemption!

- Lee

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
When I was younger I was hooked on pc games like Balders Gate and Icewind Dale, which where all in 2d, i played them so much that my dreams began to become 2 dimensional! It was freakying crazy but showed me what 2d would appear like to experience. It also happened when i began to solitaire alot.... and i mean alot!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join