It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Gamers Can Control Dreams, Study Suggests

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I agree that my dreams were never the same after my first respawn experiance.

After watching myself die from a third person perspective i realized that i was still at that perspective and erased and spawned a new body. Then i realized that it was the same concept as teleportation. So now all i do is talk in dreams.....

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Elijio

That's awesome! Good job

Another thing most people don't realize is that you can learn new things in dream-land that carry over just fine into waking life. I've learned all kinds of interesting things about life from the dream-world from facts about people & animals, to new abilities that I didn't learn while awake.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

For some it takes some time to adjust to that concept; but once you do it becomes a powerful tool that be used beyond "3rd person" view. In fact, you can use that shift to 3rd person to give yourself an "extra live" if something attacked you and you couldn't counter in time. Just like in the game...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Shakesbeer

I can't ever remember "dying" in my dreams.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Heh, I guess you have something to look forward to then!

It actually is kind of neat. I've died so many ways now I seriously am not worried about the real thing anymore. I've experienced all types of deaths on the astral plane; some that I felt as if they where very "real" too (even times that go beyond the feelings we have here usually) and it always is the same thing. No matter what consciousness keeps going on and we exist in another "dimension" of reality...the lives we have here are no different really.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
i wish they made COD in 64 bit for Nintendo 64, that would be awesome.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Teleporting in dreams is such an expansive thing itself. I tell people, if you see yourself traveling, you're technically moving slow. If you just "appear" somewhere; good job teleporting!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thaknobodi

uuugh, COD was soooooo 3 months ago man. It's all about Red Dead Redemption now.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Shakesbeer

I can't ever remember "dying" in my dreams.

I have had a number of dreams involving dying and even some very bizarre "dreams" that reminded me of Dantes' Inferno and the Divine Comedy.

I had one "Dream" on Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement, and it involved what appeared to be Heaven and there were numerous angels in the dream. It seemed like it last for hours. It was very very bizarre.

When I awoke I was disoriented, confused, and like the way it felt coming out from surgery. On my clock at my dresser, 4 minutes had passed from the time I had last looked at the clock, laid down, had the bizarre "dream", and woke up feeling like I was recovering from anesthesia.

[edit on 29/5/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Do remember what happened at all during those hours?

That is interesting though to say the least. Many people don't relinquish that fact that there are things we would call "Angels" out there some place which have even been acknowledged by the remote viewers in the government programs; even when they themselves didn't believe in such things. In the very least it seems like the religious association of the day is something that you resonate with and was utilized in some form to assist with your growth...even though it was confusing at the time, it obviously is an experience that has sat vividly with you all this time.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Yes, gaming helps develop the mind in several different arenas, especially regarding the metaphysical, astral, and parallel realities. By the way, parallel realities DO EXIST.

I found that when I used to play tons of Halo, I would literally dream myself as a sniper. I could literally scope in and out (in the dreams) by using my mind as opposed to the scope itself. This went very far in overcoming nightmarish dreamworlds.

So, I will have to agree with this article wholeheartedly.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
First off.....nice Post.

2nd, I've always wondered if my hours of gaming had anything to do with my dreams and how they panned out and how I acted within them.

I've only had what I call a " Full Lucid Dream " Maybe 4-5 times.....

The more realistic of them happened when I was training my mind to let it happen basically..

My friend showed me this 7 days step program and it says it will work within 7 days.

Well on the 6th day I had my first Lucid Dream and i could control everything and everything was vibrant and so realistic and I realized I was dreaming because I said it to myself within my dream and yet I still remained aware within the dream, instead of waking up.

Anyways This is a great topic.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

1980-1996 8 & 16-bit dreams

97-1999 64-bit dreams

2000-2010 128-bit dreams

COD may be old, but the platform remains the same as dreamcast was in 99.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more. I tend to play video games late night when there is nothing else to do, and often have very lucid dreams where I'm in control, and often remember it when I wake up.

I also think video games have made me more creative because of all the strategical thinking it makes me do.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Hardcore gamer, extremely lucid dreamer and veteran here. I notice the email address is "ca" - would that be Canada? Do they only want Canadian veterans?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I can't agree sadly!

I tend to play games late at night aswell, just before bed time....in the past a lot of WoW (Which I loved), EVE and sometimes even a RPG or Tetris

But I rarely ever have a gaming related dream, most of mine are about family issues and emotions I encounter during the days and weeks

Makes me wonder if its effected by what people put as priority in life

And ive never been able to have lucid dreams

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Mercuryae]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I can also relate to this. I had real bad nightmares as a kid growing up. When I started playing video games the nightmares got less, and the ones that I had I could take control over more and more.

I'm 26 now, and I still play allot of games. I personally play allot of diablo2 and games like deadspace. I personally like games where you're a one man army and can save a world from evil...as my nightmares where pretty evil sometimes I think that is why I now don't fear them anymore and they don't control me anymore when I have them. Also as of late I could pick a topic I would like to dream about just before I was going to bed.

I think that's really awesome to be able to pick the topic of a dream you want to dream. It's not always as easy as allot is influencing my dreaming, the oil-spill for example is not so good for my dreaming experience...

edited for spelling and grammar.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by AquaTim84]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shakesbeer

Do remember what happened at all during those hours?

That is interesting though to say the least. Many people don't relinquish that fact that there are things we would call "Angels" out there some place which have even been acknowledged by the remote viewers in the government programs; even when they themselves didn't believe in such things. In the very least it seems like the religious association of the day is something that you resonate with and was utilized in some form to assist with your growth...even though it was confusing at the time, it obviously is an experience that has sat vividly with you all this time.

I remembered far more when I came out of it then, than I do now. Sadly I didn't write down details of the experience after it happened.

I just found a thread I made that mentioned it among other weird things from two years ago.

I'm going to quote myself, which is kind of weird.

The "dream" I had on this Yom Kippur began with a series of false awakeings where I thought intruders had broken into my home. Each time it happened there was no intruder. In one I thought I saw a relative sitting on a couch in my living room. I returned to bed in the dream. In another there were friends in the hallway. Again I returned to bed. Each time I had a false awakening I determined that the preceeding awakening was just a dream and this new awakening was real. At some point there was a transition, where I was no longer in my home. Here I can only recall glimpses of interactions with what I might call angels, especially one prosecuting angel who had zero sympathy or compassion. I can recall glimpses of trying to reason with him but he had no mercy, remorse and he had much contempt for humanity. He didn't really seem real talkitive either.

I now recall some of this imagery, especially the cold black hearted angel. I remember trying to ask him something, don't remember the question though. Seem to remember trying to get him to speak, but he was very laconic.

I can recall glimpses of others trying to be more helpful and giving me advice. I can also recall reading things and speaking about other things, but I can't remember what I read or talked about. I cant even remember the setting, but it seemed like a wide open interior of a building, like a great hall. It seemed as if I was there for a long time.

Though I cant recall the words exchanged I was released at the end after meeting Im wanting to say some level of satisfaction with the "angels" I spoke to.

I do vaguely recall some of this. I kind of remember the hall or forum. The memory of reading anything is completely gone. The clearest memory is the nearly silent black hearted angel who seemed disgusted with my presence. Some details in regards to when I awakened I didn't give in the original thread. I mentioned feeling at peace when I awakened in the original thread, but I also remember feeling the same feeling one has after waking from surgery.

The whole experience was very bizarre.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercuryae

Some people don't remember dreaming at all (Even though our bodies go through the same process no matter who you are), maybe there is a block somewhere that is keeping you from realizing this? I've noticed also that if we have disrupted sleep patterns due to lifestyle, this will keep us from going into the "deepest" state these types of dreams are associated with.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AquaTim84

omg, can I please use your post as a testimonial to games/media and over coming fears in nightmares in an article I want to write for the net? I think too many people still think games and movies induce nightmares more then help people through them. I relate to your story very much myself; I looked to the characters and abilities in my games & favorite movies to help me navigate my waking-dreams. Without those; I seriously would have went crazy I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join