It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you REALLY want to quit smoking?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I don't think you really understand. The smokers and dippers are not slaves to nicotine. I've actually smoked natural tobacco and chewed it.

I can tell the difference.

It's not the nicotine. It's the freaking chemicals that the tobacco companies added.

It's not the tobacco. It's the chemicals.

They wanted to maximize the profit. They wanted to keep their customers.

Do you understand?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

So how many times do you have to do this? 4 or 5 times in one sitting or once daily for a few days?

Reminds me of when a parent caught there kid smoking and made them smoke one after another till they puked...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Yes it is pretty much the same method. Inducing a light nicotine poisoning, and creating a negative pavlovian response to nicotine/tobacco.

How many times you have to do it is up to you. This is how I was told to do it.

A weekend mite be better, start on a friday night, so you dont have the added stress of work on your shoulders right off the bat.

the first dose you want to take maybe 2 hours before you go to bed, so your stomache/body has time to "recoup" before going to sleep. if you really want to make it count, skip dinner, and have a very lite meal/snack after the remedy and before bed.

Then in the morning, skip breakfast, and do another remedy, say an hour after you wake up. And then resume eating with a lite snack/meal say around 11am. and then see how you feel towards tobacco the rest of the day. some people wont get cravings, some will, some will TRY to smoke, and the really heavy smoke may smoke a few. try and gauge how you feel along this line. this will tell you if you should do another remedy before bed again.

and i know it sounds harsh, but you want to create a lasting impression towards tobacco, and the stronger it is, the better off you will be. Best of luck!

[edit on 6/6/2010 by VonDoomen]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimragan
I would be very careful doing this. You are basically creating nicotine poison.

Sixty milligrams of nicotine, the amount in about five cigarettes or half a cigar, has the potential to kill an adult who is not a smoker[1] if all of the nicotine were absorbed. This figure is ~120mg in chronic cigarette smokers, smoking an average of 20 non-light cigarettes delivering ~1.7mg of nicotine each daily. One cigarette's-worth of nicotine is enough to make a toddler severely ill. In some cases children have become poisoned by topical medicinal creams which contain nicotine.

Source

So, if you try this method, be very careful.

thanks for adding this bit, I certainly should of added this info!

the trick with this method is, you have a huge 8oz glass of water and only 2 cigs.
No one will ever drink the entire 8 ozs. More than likely a person will get to 2-3 gulps before they vomit. and also, only a very tiny amount of the stuff you swallow will actualy be absorbed since it is vomited out after 3-6 seconds typically.

star for you!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Great thread. The 11th this month with mark the anniversary of when I quit. E-cigs helped immensely. Like you, the smell of smoking now makes me gag.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I've read snus can be good for getting off cigarettes, better and much cheaper than patches and gum. Snus has much lower toxicity than chewing tobacco from the way it's made. Still, the nicotine is about 8 times higher than a single cigarette so it's probably advisable to not start since your chance for stomach ulcers increase and Crohn's disease can be triggered.

Another thing and probably better than the OP's suggestion is putting the smoke in your mouth, then blowing out the smoke without inhaling. I saw this in a college psychology class about how to break conditioning. People can read the specifics but it does in fact work very well. When you pair the action and no reward your body naturally gives up on the action. It also works to break bad food habits in a slightly disgusting way. I think most would be surprised how well it works, in the psychology study it was done with coc aine addicts and their desire to use dropped almost completely.

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
It's not the nicotine. It's the freaking chemicals that the tobacco companies added.

It's not the tobacco. It's the chemicals.

Oh that's very true as well. I would definitely switch to organic additive free cigarettes if you're still in the early effort to quit smoking.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The method described is AVERSION THERAPY.

When a noxious stimulus (punishment) is presented immediately after a specific behavioral response, the response is eventually inhibited and extinguished. There are many types of noxious stimuli: electric shocks, substances that induce vomiting, corporal punishment, and social disapproval. The negative stimulus is paired with the behavior, which is thereby suppressed. The unwanted behavior usually disappears after a series of such sequences.

Aversion therapy has been used for alcoholism, paraphilias, and other behaviors with impulsive or compulsive qualities.

Taken from Synopsis of Psychiatry, Behavioral Sciences and Clinical Psychiatry; Harold I Kaplan, MD and Benjamin J. Sadock, MD

Aversive therapy has been proven to work in a variety of behaviors. My issue is: Is smoking only a behavior? Or is it a true addiction?

However, I have known this type therapy to be effective with alcoholism, as long as they follow-through which alcoholics have a tendency not to do.

But for anyone really serious about quitting, I think trying this might be well worth the effort.

You could also buy a cattle prod, and zap yourself everytime you wanted to smoke. Vomit or zap? Lovely choices. But one does what one must do to survive.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I have tried drinking tobacco tea, and it really makes your head spin from nicotine OD, and makes you throw up.

If i wanted to quit smoking, tobacco tea is how i'd do it;

When you crave for a cigarette, drink a glass of tobacco tea and then drink something good after it to leave a pleasant taste in your mouth. Then smoke the cigarette. While you smoke it, the tea starts to absorb, you will get an extreme nicotine kick but it appears as it was from the cigarette you are smoking. The nicotine rush will grow so intense, that you will start to feel nauseous and will throw up before the tobacco is finished.

Repeat every time you start to crave for the smokes, and soon already the thought of having one makes you nauseous.

[edit on 6/7/2010 by above]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Yeah.. You shouldn't really be concentrating nicotine into shot glasses and drinking it. You can and will die from poisoning.

Nor should anyone on here with no apparent intelligence be advocating that others be risking their lives by doing this either. Unless ATS supports potentially fatal unsolicited advice.

Don't be an idiot.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by TheUltimateEnd

you should think about giving my method a try.

the reason it works so well, is that creates an involuntarynegative reaction to tobacco, where as every other method forces to consciously quit. And thats why its so easy using my method.

sounds good..

but what about the people who put a wad of chew in their mouth for the first time, or first few times, and swallow some of it..
many of them barf, violently from it.
But you still see most of them continue to do it.
addicts will make themselves get over the sickness most poisons bring.
as long as they can keep using whatever it is they "need".

what about the people who get pi$$ drunk night after night, vomit their brains out.. feel like complete a$$,
and do it again the next night?

good intentions, respect.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by metro

You should re-read the OP.

No where does it say use a "shot glass" as you put it. theres a big difference between 8 oz, and a shot glass.

Nor should anyone on here with no apparent intelligence be advocating that others be risking their lives by doing this either.

No apparent intelligence? well atleast I can read. So i have that over you. so basically your saying you have LESS than "no apparent intelligence".

also, I didnt die by doing this! Why dont you run along and work on reading skillz.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
A friend of mine told me that his secret to quitting was to continue to smoke as normal, but to smoke with his non-dominant hand 100% of the time (that 99% isn't sufficient), and with each cigarette that he asserted to himself: "I'm a non-smoker." Supposedly he was able to quit cold turkey within 3 months. I'm not sure if he was pulling my leg, but it almost seems crazy enough to work.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by vesta

AGREED!

Politically speaking...

I really don't understand this.. at ALL...
If cigarettes were not sold, millions of people YEARLY would be saved. This would create healthy workers to pay more taxes. Apparently not more then cigarettes. This is the disgusting money part.

Now for the BS disgusting spin part: ITS KILLING AMERICANS, more then any islamic extremest or foreign foe could possibly kill. Then these BS artists (politicians) go into rants about our security and protecting America... Sick world.

If you really give a crap about citizens then close all cigarette companies NOW, they are killing us.
edit on 16-10-2010 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

It is an addiction

SL

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
is smoking 3-4 cigs a day bad for you?

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
My grandfather had a great expression that is tried and true: "If you never try it you don't have to worry about liking it." So I've always thought about that when a situation would come up.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by above

Aversive therapy can be effective. There is also such a concoction for alcohol abuse called anabuse, I think it is. If you drink with it, it makes you throw up until you come to associate drinking with sickness.

Problem is.........alcoholics won't touch the stuff! lol.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

yes the hard part is biting the proverbial bullet and just "DOING IT"!

Its kind of like standing on cliff looking into the water. Making that jump is hard because you know once you do it, your in for the whole ride!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR

It is an addiction

SL

Well, er, yeah. It it weren't, this conversation would have no validity.
Just saying.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

DRINKING TOBACCO TEA IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. NICOTINE TAKEN INTERNALLY IS TOXIC.

FOLLOWING THE IDIOT OP'S ADVICE CAN LAND YOU IN THE HOSPITAL OR THE MORGUE, IF YOU HAVE A WEAK HEART.

REGARDLESS OF THE FACT THAT AN IDIOT MODERATOR HAS GIVEN THEIR STAMP OF APPROVAL, THIS IS AN EXTREMELY STUPID PIECE OF ADVICE, AND CLEARLY AGAINST THE SITE T&C.

DON'T DO IT.

www.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 16-10-2010 by vox2442 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join