It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd Iceland volcano issues warning- Scientists say powerful Katla is ‘close to failure’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Interesting, how about the strange weather we are seeing? I don't think we have seen this much rain in May since 1983, I wonder how much influence Iceland's volcanoes have on NoCal's weather.

If Katia blows, there will be major weather changes.

Hopefully it is not a sign of things to come.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

research paper by the University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction

www.ucl.ac.uk...

So exactly who are the experts then? Because they're quoted by the MSM we can't trust their work?

You know. Since the MSM also covered the Super Bowl, American Idol, Presidential elections, so on and so forth, we probably can't trust the results on that either, even if proven by "experts."

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
reply to post by PuterMan

Ok. So where's the information about Katla since that page is not about Katla?

This links gives you access to most of the information you could need on Katla, includng GPS information.

hraun.vedur.is...

There is a Katla monitoring site here but I find it is a bit out of date. The original link I gave you has two recorders on it HVO to the south west of Katla and GOD or Godabunga which is on the (magma) route between Ejyafjoll and Katla.

You would expect to see very much increased tremors in both these two over and above the levels of the Eyja eruption before anything happens at Katla.

In addition the intensity of quakes is too small at present to be anything other than the normal quakes you can expect at Katla.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Katla wil go, but she is NOT showing signs at the moment. It could be a few months more yet.

[edit on 28/5/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

The experts are the Icelanders. Period.

Risk Institutes thrive on having a risk.

You know. Since the MSM also covered the Super Bowl, American Idol, Presidential elections, so on and so forth, we probably can't trust the results on that either, even if proven by "experts."

Really rather a pontless remark since coverage of the superbowl does not require an in depth knowledge of the subject (other than that required to give a good commentary)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

My point was, we shouldn't be able to trust what they said in relation to those events since they're the MSM.

You yourself acknowledge a risk in Katla blowing (though not any time soon). The Risk & Disaster Reduction institute says there is a risk since:

"Earlier seismic energy release at Katla is associated with the inflation of the volcano, which indicates it is close to failure, although this does not appear to be linked to seismicity around Eyjafjallajökull," it added.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Sorry I don't see the connection between trusting the MSM to report what they see with their eyes, and trusting them to report on a subject about which they have no knowledge.

I have tried to explain to you that various organisations have been carrying this story, including those details emanating from such sources as you quote, however this information has NOT come from Iceland. I have not seen this reported by any Icelandic source.

Yes the Icelanders are concerned that something will happen, and no nothing is happening yet.

From the information I gave you you can get to this which is the GPS for the Katla area. Do you see any inflation there? I don't. In fact since the last eruption there has been a deflation.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Updates from hisz.rsoe.hu...

On 28.05.2010 at 10:35 GMT+2
Katla is the second largest volcano in the country of Iceland, and Iceland's president is issuing a warning saying that the eruption of Katla is close. Icelandic president Ólafur Grímsson has warned other governments around Europe "that a significant eruption at the volcano is close." "We [Iceland] have prepared ... it is high time for European governments and airline authorities all over Europe and the world to start planning for the eventual Katla eruption,"

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
edit: sorry,double post

[edit on 28/5/10 by impala67]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by impala67

RSOE is often alarmist and often indulges in speculative announcements. It is not a site that I would entirely trust for my information.

In addition to that the Icelandic President has been saying that for some time now. That is old news.

Here is the original statement link which was an interview on the 20th April

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

And I'm assuming the President doesn't get his advise from Icelandic experts?

And an honest question: Doesn't the RSOE only report things that have for lack of a better term, "tipped the scales", or set something off to warrant that warning. RSOE hasn't reported any earthquakes in the area, only volcanic activity. If they were alarmist, they would've reported volcanic activity back in April, when your link reported the President saying that.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

And I'm assuming the President doesn't get his advise from Icelandic experts?

That I am afraid I can't answer. I assume that he was just reiterating the fact that Katla is assumed to erupt some time soon and not that it was about to erupt.

And an honest question: Doesn't the RSOE only report things that have for lack of a better term, "tipped the scales", or set something off to warrant that warning. RSOE hasn't reported any earthquakes in the area, only volcanic activity. If they were alarmist, they would've reported volcanic activity back in April, when your link reported the President saying that.

The problem here is that RSOE has the same sources as most of us, and in the case of the more scaremongering news they can be taken in just like anyone else. Unless you have a program such as I have devised to scrape the Icelandinc sites for data then you have to manually go to the site hourly to keep up, and they are busy people. I find that they are a little alarmist because in my opinion they overstate the severity of many incidents and classify things as worse than they actually are. I am not saying they are a bad site, just that for me they do not provide the information I require in a manner that I find acceptable. This is my own opinion and should not influence your decision to use them.

As with all information I do not take what anyone says at face value until I have verified its accuracy for myself.

You will recall the last Hekla scare? Hekla is erupting!, Hekla is erupting! It was not, and that whole rumour which got into the MSM, and even caused Wikipedia to be changed to say that Hekla's last eruption was 2010, was started because of a tweet - and it is even possible it was a tweet by an ATS member!

I stood my ground and said it was not erupting here on ATS and was shouted down. But it was not erupting.

So what I am saying is do not believe everything you see written. Always check things out for yourself and then post. I have a vested interest in maintaining a watchful eye on Katla since I live in Ireland and am only 700 miles from it. We would undoubtedly be affected, so you can be darn sure I am going to be watching what is going on at all times.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The rain, the rain, the rain! It's amazing. I've been noticing some interesting clouds here lately, too. Last evening was pretty neat, they have been so dramatic, for lack of a better word.

I'd guess more eruptions would cause cooling ... on top of the cooling already happening.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
We have been monitoring katla for some time on this other thread too:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It seems like things are really heating up under there!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
We have been monitoring katla for some time on this other thread too:

It seems like things are really heating up under there!

I get a 404 error?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

Your link is broken, it should be this Yet another thread bandying about nonsense about Katla

I pointed this out to you in your thread but you just won't listen will you, and here we are 17 days since your first post in the thread and nothing has happened yet you were saying it was about to erupt. Point taken?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Doh!

Score 1 to me for mistyping the link... HERE is the correct link!

Could another Icelandic volcano erupt soon?

Good find Portugoal on the news story! (Star and Flag for you!)

[edit on 5/28/2010 by YourPopRock]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

My link to it works

Tell you what, I am not going to post on this thread or the other ridiculous thread any more as it is a waste of time trying to tell people something they do not want to hear.

So here is the deal.

If Katla erupts VEI3+ in the next 30 days I will admit that you are more of an expert than I am and my A level geology course and many years of interest in the subject (40 or more) have taught me nothing, and I will refrain from commenting on any thread to do with Icelandic volcanoes ever again. OK?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

My link to it works

Tell you what, I am not going to post on this thread or the other ridiculous thread any more as it is a waste of time trying to tell people something they do not want to hear.

So here is the deal.

If Katla erupts VEI3+ in the next 30 days I will admit that you are more of an expert than I am and my A level geology course and many years of interest in the subject (40 or more) have taught me nothing, and I will refrain from commenting on any thread to do with Icelandic volcanoes ever again. OK?

We all love your posts (me included) so don't stop posting very interesting information because of one muppet!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Started a thread on this yesterday

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Until then frankly I think this thread should be closed as it is serving no useful purpose in my humble opinion.

Wow really?
Doesn't sounds like a humble opinion at all to me but I wonder if your problem is with the OP, MSNBC, University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction, Icelandic President Ólafur Grímsson, or are you just wanting this thread to be closed because you're such an expert on Icelandic Volcanoes that you're able to predict eruptions now? Calling for this thread to be closed is assanine and ridiculous.

Edit:
You're... your... too early to be typing lol.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by twitchy]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join