It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd Iceland volcano issues warning- Scientists say powerful Katla is ‘close to failure’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

2nd Iceland volcano issues warning

www.msnbc.msn.com

A second, much larger volcano in Iceland is showing signs that it may be about to erupt, scientists have warned.

Since the start of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, which caused cancellations of thousands of flights in Europe because of a giant ash cloud, there has been much speculation about neighboring Katla.

An initial research paper by the University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction said: "Analysis of the seismic energy released around Katla over the last decade or so is interpreted as providing evidence of a rising ... intrusive magma body on the western
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Uh oh...not good.

"Earlier seismic energy release at Katla is associated with the inflation of the volcano, which indicates it is close to failure, although this does not appear to be linked to seismicity around Eyjafjallajökull," it added.

Europe's in for a nice ride.

Icelandic President Ólafur Grímsson has warned governments around Europe that a significant eruption at the volcano is close.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
\
Related Threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

Uh oh...not good.

Not good for the airline industry. Will be nice to have empty skies again though.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Not good news at all, because Katla has such huge glacier sat on top of her. The explosive force behind the combination could ground flights for years. If even half of the glacier melted it's going to result in huge flooding and landslides, this could send a Tsunami straight for the UK.

Scary stuff indeed, I don't think people realize the threat of Katla.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Katla can have either major eruptions or minor eruptions. If it blows, I'll hope for the latter.

Hopefully people in this area will keep us apprised of any evacuations or further developments. If I remember correctly, it was an ATS member that had the first pictures of the other eruption.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This is just a suggestion here... but what if this was a way to usher in a new wave of technology.

They usually never come up with new ways of dealing with things unless they are absolutely necessary. What if this was to usher in new types of planes for commercial airliners...?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Just been a few more Earthquakes in-between Katla and Eyja looks like magma is on the move, not a good sign.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This event could effect Europe for decades. Maybe they will have to enhance technology to get over the effects of the ash.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamNow
reply to post by lpowell0627

Just been a few more Earthquakes in-between Katla and Eyja looks like magma is on the move, not a good sign.

Nothing here?

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The 2 Red dots are recent Earthquakes.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IamNow

Ye but it's weird it wasn't recorded on RSOE.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A few weeks ago, I jumped into this strange dream where Katia erupted spectacularly. It was this massive explosion. One moment I am wandering through my typical dream scape, the next I am witnessing this huge explosion. Probable unconscious dribbling, but it stuck.

Weather sure is strange right now in Northern California. I wonder how much this has to do with Eyj. Every now and then I check in on that thread, and look at the cam.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

These are 1.0 quakes and will not be recorded on RSOE and BTW an earthquake does NOT mean magma is on the move necessarily.

Magma movement would be signified by increased tremors and maybe quakes as well. but there is NO increase in tremors.

For the umpteenth time - listen to the Icelandic Met office. WHEN they say there is an indication of activity THEN start worrying. Until then frankly I think this thread should be closed as it is serving no useful purpose in my humble opinion.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Weird, I 'see' a volcano blowing, too. But not in dreams, just pops in every now and again to say, 'hey, somethin's coming.' No landmarks, just a beautiful show of erupting lava.

I'm in NorCal, too. Strange indeed.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Firstly, I never said there were earthquakes around Katla

"It is likely to be preceded by new earthquake activity. Presently there is no unusual seismicity under Katla."

Neither does the article. The article says magma is moving which is why this thread is purposeful.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I think we'll listen to the experts on this one mate, in which they have already said, as quoted in the source, that there are signs indicating that it is close to erupting.

In my honest opinion, I think the yellowstone thread should be closed, because it's serving far less purpose.

S & F

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

I think we'll listen to the experts on this one mate, in which they have already said, as quoted in the source, that there are signs indicating that it is close to erupting.

In my honest opinion, I think the yellowstone thread should be closed, because it's serving far less purpose.

S & F

Sounds like an idea.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I read somewhere, can't find it now, but it was a prediction site or something. I read it months ago, it said that the iceland volcano was an indicator that the end of times is near and that there will be a second, much bigger volcano that will go off in iceland that will mark the time of decent. I'm bummed that I can't find it now, but I'll keep searching. Our days are met, Oil spill out of control, fighting everywhere, N & S Korea at nuke threat, I see WW3 coming soon. What's next?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

Originally posted by Navieko

S & F

Sounds like an idea.

I would suggest then that you do just that and listen to the experts and not to the MSM who have been perpetuating this story in the last few days, which I believe was started by an Irish local paper.

Look at this link AND READ THE WORDS AT THE TOP.

In case you cannot be bothered it says:

Katla is NOT erupting and there are NO indications that Katla is about to erupt. Information on this page is for the Eyjafjallajökull eruption.

And while we are about it by the way I have this area monitored 24 hours a day. I download all the plots and data, and I for one will listen to the experts unlike yourselves who are assuming the clap trap in the MSM is accurate. Get your facts straight first before posting rubbish.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Ok. So where's the information about Katla since that page is not about Katla?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join