It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd Iceland volcano issues warning- Scientists say powerful Katla is ‘close to failure’

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

It's not that I don't enjoy his posts, but it's the fact that he's trying to refute all the people that say it is coming soon...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
oops... doubly

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
reply to post by twitchy

It's not that I don't enjoy his posts, but it's the fact that he's trying to refute all the people that say it is coming soon...

I'm not mitigating his expertise in the area, I've read enough of his posts to understand his qualifications are a valuable asset to this site, but I UTTERLY DESPISE people who get on somebody's thread and start calling for it to be closed because they disagree with the OP. Yeah, he know his stuff, but why be a jerk about it when he also knows that predicting a volcanic eruption is a crap shoot in an active SYSTEM. Aside from that, it doesn't take a geologist to know that Katla is on this same system and has a history of regular and linked eruptions to Eyjafjallajökull.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

Originally posted by PuterMan
Until then frankly I think this thread should be closed as it is serving no useful purpose in my humble opinion.

Wow really?
Doesn't sounds like a humble opinion at all to me but I wonder if your problem is with the OP, MSNBC, University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction, Icelandic President Ólafur Grímsson, or are you just wanting this thread to be closed because you're such an expert on Icelandic Volcanoes that you're able to predict eruptions now? Calling for this thread to be closed is assanine and ridiculous.

Edit:
You're... your... too early to be typing lol.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by twitchy]

First thanks for the label! Love it. First one by the way.

Second I think you somewhat misunderstand. There are at least three if not four threads dealing with the exact same subject. What exactly is the point of that?

No, I am not an expert of Icelandic volcanoes but I do research the subject, and I can read and the Icelanders and the Icelandic geologists say it is not showing any signs now, although it may erupt in the future.

I suppose you could say what is the definition of soon. Is it 3 months, six months, a year or perhaps two. Geologically a very short time but if for example it was two years then I would not consider that soon.

OP, MSNBC, University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction, Icelandic President Ólafur Grímsson?

No no problem with the OP and the Icelandic President, but I do have a problem with the disinfo being dished out by the other two.

Take a look at this link or this link

This is a relatively new 'organisation' and is out to make a name for itself.

and that to reduce both risk of disasters and disasters themselves would require the application of the breadth of UCL’s expertise

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamNow
reply to post by Portugoal

Not good news at all, because Katla has such huge glacier sat on top of her. The explosive force behind the combination could ground flights for years. If even half of the glacier melted it's going to result in huge flooding and landslides, this could send a Tsunami straight for the UK.

Scary stuff indeed, I don't think people realize the threat of Katla.

There is another threat you did not mention
Is not a intense "fresh water pulse" precisely what is needed to shut down the gulf stream?

Because fresh water is less dense that the warmer gulf stream water and will stop it's ascent, breaking the heat-exchange cycle and starting an ice age?

Is this why Obama seems as if he is thinking about somthing else when discussing the gulf oil disaster? Is this why the calculated risk was even taken to begin to start drilling there?

Can this icelandic eruption, when it occurs, stop the gulf stream conveyor belt?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by seataka]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It is obvious who does and who does not follow Earthquake and volcano threads here on ATS. Anyone that would try and dispute information given by puterman obviously isn't aware of how much they have contributed to this site.

Puterman has never at anytime said that Katla is not going to errupt. I think he made it clear that the reason he feels this and some other threads are actually bad for this site is that they have the power to needlessly panic a whole lot of people.

Are there signs that Katla will errupt? Possibly. The largest sign is the current erruption of her 'sister'. The question is not if, but when. If we keep creating new, alarmist threads everytime there is a mention somewhere on the internet of increased activity, people will quickly get tired of this 'calling wolf'.

I, for one have come to appreciate the professional, level perception of some of our posters like Puterman. I, like others have learned a great deal from the knowledge that they share.

For anyone that is seriously interested in learning and understanding some of this vast science of geology, I recommend you visit some of the long-standing threads where this is shared. (such as the Yellowstone, Quakewatch and volcanowatch threads)

Yes, she will most likely go at some point....when she does there is the potential for it to affect a large part of the world. So let's just take a deep breath and wait...there will most likely be a lot of indicators leading up to it. Plenty of time to get those threads started.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Just to clarify, I posted this under Breaking News, because when experts say it is "close to failure," I consider that breaking news. I enjoy his Puterman's posts, but he refutes experts as not 'Icelandic' enough for his liking, and he doesn't like the amount of threads on this. If it bothers anyone that much to post a thread while news is breaking, I am sorry, but I think members of ATS should know what experts are saying as it happens.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Personally I'm glad you posted it because there are those of us who just want to see what the breaking news is rather than sift through 1 thread with 600+ pages. So, thanks!

I do believe Katla will go off btw... only a matter of time as to when but I'd guess sooner than later.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

If Katla erupts VEI3+ in the next 30 days I will admit that you are more of an expert than I am and my A level geology course and many years of interest in the subject (40 or more) have taught me nothing, and I will refrain from commenting on any thread to do with Icelandic volcanoes ever again. OK?

Sorry, could not resist this having just coma across the thread again!

I guess I will still be posting about Iceland then?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
In the last 1000 yrs, every time Eyjafjallajökull erupts, Katla follows sometime after. It is only partially covered by the Mýrdalsjökull glacier, approximately 230 sq miles of glacier. Since 930, 16 eruptions have been recorded, 3 of those were after a Eyjafjallajökull eruption.
It's last major eruption was in 1918, the eruption resulted in extending the southern coast by 5 km due to laharic flood deposits. BTW, the name of it's sister volcano is not Eyjafjallajökull , it's Guðnasteinn, Eyjafjallajökull is the name of the glacier over Guðnasteinn.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

That is actually the name of one of the peaks on the crater of Eyjafjoll (which is the name of the volcano under the Eyjafjallajokull icecap.)

Otherwise yes, Katla blows more often than Eyjafjoll thus any link between the two is probably coincidental as the approximate frequency of Eyjafjoll is 200 years and Katla is 50 years therefore at some point it is likely to erupt after Eyjafjoll, but not necessarily because of Eyjafjoll.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

for what it is worth, I look for your and a few select others post to verify weather it is a concern to me or not.. You and the few have been diligent on relaying info of the Iceland and other volcanic concerns globally..
keep it up yall

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join