It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes? Doc Velocity Just Had a Stroke...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Most people probably do not know what having a stroke feels like, and by posting this, you may have just saved someone's life.

Glad that you are recovering, take care and good luck with quitting as I know it can be really hard.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hey Doc Velocity, thank you for this thread, very interested yet worrying experience, I wish you all the best!

Wanted to show you a TED-talk, you might know it already, but if you don't this will surely be of interest:

Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions -- motion, speech, self-awareness -- shut down one by one. An astonishing story.

TED

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thank you DV for sharing the moving description of your stroke experience. It may help others recognize the symptoms of a stroke in progress and even save lives.

My best friend smokes "natural" cigarettes and thinks they are not harmful, or at least not as harmful as the chemical laden commercial brands. I am hoping your thread will be a wake up call.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Gosh, reading that story made me go through a whole load of emotions, from anxiety to relief. I, myself, don't smoke cigarettes, although I grew up with everyone in my family smoking.

My grandfather, who's alive and kicking at 79 years old, had smoked since he was 14 years old. He was a 2 pack-a-day smoker, and I remember as a kid, afdter holding his hand, mine would REEK of tobacco. People at school would ask me if I smoked because my backpack also reeked of smoke. On my grandfather's 75th birthday, he was hospitalized with a minor heart attack and the next day, he quit. No patches, no pills, he just said "I've had enough" and quit literally COLD.

I have no idea how bad addiction to nicotine feels, but according to him, it was like a vice around his body for a few days, then it loosened, until he could finally breathe after about 2 weeks. This man's willpower is a testament of JUST HOW MUCH he wanted to quit.

He's now enjoying life in south Texas, cig-free!

Here's to everyone who doesn't think they can quit. It takes your MIND and BODY working in unison, along with about 2 weks of constant discomfort, but it IS possible!

I commend you, DOC.... Now enjoy life!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Doc...glad you're ok.

Things happen for a reason and it's never too late to change your life habits.

Thanks for sharing the story...glad we still have you around

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I used to smoke years ago a lot and i felt bad when i smoked. I quit smoking and now i can run again and do more things in a physical sense. I believe its hard work and we all need to help.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Hey Doc,

Best wishes for your recovery, and thanks for sharing your experience with the world!

Now, about the cigs. I am an EX-smoker. I am 41, and started smoking at age 16, and I was not a light smoker. I have tried to quit a couple of times (first one cold turkey, second one with nicotine patches) with no luck, because the most time I managed to stay "smoke free" was 2 days.

Then, about 3 months ago, I decided that I would try again. I went to a physician, and he asked me if I would like to use nicotine patches or the pills ("Chanpix", as they're called here in Japan). As I had already tried the patches before, I chose the pills. In 10 days, I went from 50 cigs a day down to ZERO.

I have not smoked for two months now, and I feel great! Okay, I am gaining some weight (went from about 285 lbs to about 295 lbs), but I believe that, now that the cravings are gone, and I feel much more confident about my will power, in a month or so I can start a diet and do some exercises to lose weight. "One step at a time"...

My final advice to you, and to all of those that want to quit smoking is: keep trying different methods (e-cigs, patches, pills, etc.). There is no "magic method" that works for everybody, but the fact that you keep trying to quit will, at some point, "change your mindset" (as someone already mentioned on this thread). And THIS is what really will help you quit the habit.

P.S.: I am a Brazilian living in Japan, so please excuse my English.
P.P.S.: I try to be just a lurker, but I could not help posting a reply here.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

He postulated that a tiny little bit of plaque had undoubtedly broken away and gone to my brain, which precipitated the stroke.

[edit on 5/28/2010 by Doc Velocity]

Just curious how can that be because I've read that the brain has the "blood brain barrier" which is exactly for that purpose it sort of filters the blood so that no contaminated blood from the body can ever enter the brain. Can any medical experts confirm this?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Doc. Glad you dodged a bullet. I can certainly relate. Similar experience to yours back in Oct 2007 I was 51, then 3 weeks later Bam....the full monty.

The initial was a TIA, hospitalized for 6 days. Thought I was out of the woods. As I'm sure you are aware, a TIA can be a pre cursor. Your experience reminds me of:

Amazing Video: Neuroscientist has stroke and experiences Nirvana
(Great book - Stroke of Insight)

She seemed to experience Nirvana. Not me. I felt like a thousand bees stung my brain. Hospitalized for 21 days. Sent me home in a wheelchair with a coloring book. Extensive physical rehab, speech therapy etc. Was on walker for 6 months after that, cane for 3 months (although I prefer to call it my Portable Pole Dance Audition Device) Now I can just about walk and chew gum. Nasty limp and left hand partially paralyzed. I type with one hand nowadays. (Caps Lock is my friend.)

Of course the first year is critical, then 3 year benchmark then chances of recurrence get back to normal after 5. I was not a smoker (except cigars) but a hard-core drinker and stress maniac, out of shape and bad diet.

In addition to two main front arteries (carotid) we have 2 smaller in rear vertebral. One of mine got clogged/pinched. Ischemic as opposed to Hemorrhagic. Stroked brain half affects opposite body side. Weird little oddity. Sodium is also a MAJOR culprit as it constricts blood flow. Read labels. Processed food is full of it. Salt Free Mrs. Dash works well.

Don't do too much research on the internet, it will scare you to death. Just take care, get your affairs in order, enjoy life and count your blessings. This too shall pass.

When we were young, we learned the lesson, then took the test. As we get older, we take the test then learn the lesson. Very courageous OP.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Sincerely.....Rick

[edit on 28-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Wow ... firstly let me say that I'm pleased you are making a good recovery ... but what I really want to say is ... 'WHAT AN AMAZING BLOODY POST' !!!

This is not only one of the most detailed accounts I've ever read ... but the fact that it comes from a firsthand perspective, that is still very fresh in your mind ... is truly educational for anyone who reads it.

I myself gave up smoking about 18mths ago ... because there was an advertising campaign in full swing that showed the symptoms and effect of Stroke ... and the absolute need for speed when one occurred.

Scared the bejeebuz out of me and I gave up there and then ... I was actually quite surprised how easy I found it to stop ... only needed to use the patches for a couple of weeks.

Anyhoo ... thank-you for this thread ... and I hope you make a full recovery.

Woody

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Great post. I'm glad to read you are doing so well. I can't imagine that many "bee's stinging my brain" type of pain. Wow.

You certainly have come a long ways.

Great advice!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It wasn't the cigarettes Doc.

The powers that be, knowing your radical and dangerous nature, sent a hitman with a gun that causes strokes to kill you.

You survived. You beat them. You should like, write a book or something.

But seriously, good to hear you're alright. My grandmother had quite a few strokes that gradually led to her death so I know the damage it can do.

Regardless, I like my nicotine.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

My best wishes go out to you and your family DOC.i witnessed one of my best friends have a stroke(33 yrs old no less). it was absoulutely heartwrenching.his recovery was swift also.your one of the lucky one DOC,,,others have lost use of all types of faculties.i applaud the "sheer will", as i have used it to stave off a heartattack. i smoke too DOC,,,thanks for sharing your personal story as a means to save someone from what your going through,,,im not a big believer in GOD, but if im not mistaken you are,,,so on that note,,,may your God bless you and your family DOC,,,speedy recovery mate

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Doc,

Although I don't know you nor do I post on here hardly ever I am glad to hear your experience turned out as well as it did.

I just quit smoking last week after smoking for 26 years.

I have tried MANY times in the past and just couldnt do it.

Either my will power was too weak or the addiction too strong, no matter the reason the end result was the same.

My mother quit after smoking for ?? 30 years or so and my brother quit a few months ago. The cure was a drug called Chantix.

I started taking it and (you smoke for the first week while on it) with no attemt or will power on my part I just noticed after about 3 days I kinda "forgot to smoke". I went from a pack and a half a day to 2-3 cigarettes a day. Now 2 weeks into it I don't even think about smoking except maybe 2 times a day and then It isn't so much a craving just boredom. I think about something else and the "need" just is forgotten.

I would recommend the medicine to ANYONE who wants to quit smoking.

Will I live longer now? Who knows. Probably.

Will I save $300 a month I was spending on cigarettes. DEFINATLY !!

**** DISCLAIMER ****
My insurance didnt cover the medicine so I had to pay out of pocket and it cost $256 BUT my brothers did cover his intirely. Check your own coverage.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Wow! What an experience! Very compelling reading, and I'm VERY glad you have quit smoking! I'm even happier to hear that your recovery was fairly quick.

As an aside, now that you've quit, you may notice odors (both good and bad) more now. And you'll be able to smell for yourself just how malodorous smokers are. I never smoked in my life (ever) and neither has my husband or son. You really CAN smell a smoker some 8 feet away, and you can smell heavy cigarette smokers at 10-15 feet away.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Doc,

Glad to hear you got through that OK. Those symptoms sounded so freaky, it's lucky you realized what was going on in time.

Good luck with quitting smoking and I hope you stay well enough to keep contributing the high quality posts we've come to expect from you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by above

A panic attack does not have any effect on your sight or your speaking abilities.

It was when I returned to the house, entering the front door, that I was abruptly overwhelmed with an unreasoning sense of despair, which descended into gloom within a few moments, followed by utter hopelessness a moment or so thereafter. Alarmed with this freakish mood swing, I decided not to return to the computer, but rather headed upstairs for a lie-down.

This paragraph, however, definitely resembles textbook panic attack.

Perhaps it may be related, some how?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Someone should start a thread about smoking (benefits..and for the people who say its fear mongering..) well... LINK!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thanks for your account of events Doc. I find it fascinating to read first-hand accounts of strokes. My interest stems from the fact that my dad had a stroke just over a year ago. It's good to hear of so many people on this board - and people known to people on this board - who have recovered from strokes.

My dad died a few days after his stroke. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what killed my dad. When he was in hospital the CT scan showed cancer of the kidneys, lungs and possibly brain as well - hard to tell after a stroke. The stroke was probably brought on by the cancer. Regardless, he was a drinker and a smoker and his lifestyle choices no doubt contributed to what happened to him.

I'm sure your story will be sufficient warning to many, but happy-endings are not commensurate with my experience of strokes. Anyone who doubts what awful things they can be should take a trip to a stroke-ward.

I'm thankful that my dad died when he did. It was pretty much the first thing I wanted to happen when I was told the extent of the damage the stroke had done. Palliative care was all the doctors could offer him. He couldn't communicate and was paralysed down his left side. The old man took it with an unbelievable amount of courage and Scottish determination. He knew it was game-over and didn't show fear, anguish or even pain once. It was awe-inspiring. He was 64.

My dad couldn't communicate but he could understand what was being said to him. It must have been very frustrating. However, strokes can affect people differently. In a smaller percentage of cases strokes can stop people understanding what is said to them. It's easy to read that and not take in the enormity of what that means. I don't think I can imagine anything more bleak, anything more lonely than that.

I have been a heavy drinker in the past and was a smoker for many years. I am neither right now. I'm not about to demonise them outright. Smoking is enjoyable and drinking can be great - it actually helped me to deal with my dad's death in many ways. But once you are out of a habit you can see the grip it had on you - and for me, the longer I'm away from them the more they lose their appeal. And with that untethered perspective combined with seeing what it can do first-hand, it's easy to make the decision that smoking and drinking heavily isn't worth it.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Doc -

Compelling story and many thanks for recounting it for us.
Very glad you are alive and recovering and doing what you
need to be healthy. Take care of yourself, you owe it to your-
self, your family and your friends (as they do, to you...)

S~

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join