It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes? Doc Velocity Just Had a Stroke...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hey Doc im pretty new here and dont know you that well yet but im glad your okay and recovering.

Your account of the stroke sounded very similar to my dads except when his stroke happened he thought that he was talking normally but all myself and my mother could hear was the same nonsensical words being repeated over and over 'inthe worser' is all he could say and the entire lefthand side of his face dropped. Thankfully we got him to the hospital pronto and he made a complete full recovery, his speech returned after 24hours. It was a very scarey experience for him and for us.

He was a very heavy smoker ( about 40 to 60 a day) how he got off the cigarettes was using the nicorette inhalers as they gave him the illusion of smoking and gave him something to do with his hands, so if the patches dont work for you then give them a try, my dad hated the patches.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I'm very glad to hear that you are okay, Doc!! I can attest that a 325 mg ecotrin a day IS a wonder drug. Have you found that any craving for a cigarette is as if you've "forgotten" that you smoke?

Be well!!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Wow!
I'm currently quitting smoking cold turkey.. on my second week.. pretty tough so far, but this is just what I needed to see.
Very glad to still have you among us, Doc! You write very well, too... I actually felt a bit emotional while imagining the ordeal take place...
Can't imagine how frightening that could have been for you!

Thanks a lot for just reminding me that smoking is NO BUENO.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusPrimate
reply to post by muzzleflash

Smoking does shorten you're life FACT...I hope your post was sarcastic...

If it wasn't I'm really shocked - perhaps you're being antagonistic for the sake of it?

I didn't say smoking is harmless. I said everything in life is dangerous. But I don't see anyone quitting cars or knives.

I don't see many people quitting prescription medications, despite the massive amount of adverse side effects and fatalities.

I consider the anti-smoking stuff brainwashed honestly. It's all that propaganda they hit you with. Sure it's bad for you, just like eating ice cream all day every day is bad for you. Too much of anything is bad, this is a old old saying that still is true today.

Hell we as a species still have war. (For dumb reasons too).

When I have to live in fear of constant war, and of chemical toxins coming at me from every possible item in my household, I start not giving a damn you know???

I start just doing what I want, and actually living life. I stop caring about all this BS.

I just accept the fact all of this will kill me. Then I Live.

But running around like a headless chicken saying "you know that will kill you" is pointless.

We all die. You can't stop it.

Just live and enjoy life. Stop worrying about "how to live longer".

Here is a story for you.
A guy quit smoking. Then he was hit by a bus.

Quitting smoking didn't extent that guy's life span!

Being a anti-smoking Nazi isn't going to save anyone's life. It's only going to take the Freedom out of their short lives before they die anyways.

Do you have any idea what kind of chemicals come out of your CAR EXHAUST???

Lock yourself in a room with a car turned on. You will DIE fast !!!
Lock yourself in a room with a cig smoker. Exactly.

My point is there are far more dangerous things in life than cigs. But yet there is no major push to stop those things. The mainstream accepts them without questioning it or anything.

But when the commercials on TV repeat "smoking is bad" a million times, the people repeat that all the time like its the most important thing we can do as humans to improve our health.

Trust me, if the TV commercials repeated "car exhaust is bad" a million times, people would be saying that all the time like it's a big deal too.

If you think my statements or questioning is "offensive" I don't care. I think you are offensive to me for being offended by my assessment of the situation.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
So glad your ok Doc. Thank you for sharing that with us.
Smoking and bad diet are definitely a recipe for stroke, but I would also recommend that you disconnect yourself from the political scene for a while, and just enjoy life. The government is such a huge source of stress for many of us today, and you DO NOT need any stress right now. So kick back and relax, take this opportunity to renew yourself, because ATS wouldn't be the same without you.
Again, great to still have you with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Best wishes Doc and may the Lord speed your health and full recovery.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Doc, you weren't anywhere near that oil spill in the gulf were you? I think that would give ME a stroke.
Seriously, your writing is extraordinary and really brought the experience to life for me. I got a tear in my eye reading it.
I am glad you are fine now.
If I can offer a tiny bit of advice. Check your diet, but don't drastically change it all at once (unless it's a fifth of Jack Daniels a day, then maybe cut back to a pint?).
Add some stuff that is good for the blood, raw veggies, no milk.
Okay, that is it.
Glad to see your back.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Still, there was this pungent, acrid, fecal smell that seemed to be growing stronger — like an evil mixture of Pine-Sol and diarrhea — so I hurriedly disposed of the bags in the appropriate receptacle outside and wheeled it out to the end of the driveway.

But the foul odor followed me back inside. Very curious, indeed.

Glad to hear you made it through. I was struck by the above paragraph...I awoke out of a sound sleep a few weeks back due to just such a smell. But my wife couldn't smell anything and the dog hadn't had an accident. Stroke crossed my mind, but that was end of story.

Any thoughts on that? I wonder if I missed a mini.

Again, happy you're ok, and fit to bicker with me once more.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I don't star and flag (since I found out ATS TRACKS all our flags and posts them publically) ... BUT ... THIS POST takes the cake!

I hope with ATS owner permission and coordination; you can re-post your story on as many anti-smoking sites as possible.

I've smoked since I was 12. I'm going to give the ole 'quit' try again when this carton is finished. I'm planning on reading your article every day, over, and OVER and OVER until I get past that 6 month hurdle.

Thank you for your DEEPLY moving story! I still have tears in my eyes.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm not offended...I agree with your attitude towards living a life.
I hate living in a nanny stae as much as anyone - although the whole 'bus' argument doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid- but aslong people are told all the facts - and given the opportunity and freedom to make an informed choice - whatever that may be, is a human right.

Arguing that something else somewhere in the world could also kill you isn't a valid argument as far as I'm concerned either...

Please don'tfeel that you have to defend your lifestyle choices to me mate...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree...

[edit on 28-5-2010 by OptimusPrimate]

[edit on 28-5-2010 by OptimusPrimate]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Hey, Mr Velocity - thanks for your post - I found that REALLY interesting. Strokes run in my family, but I wasn't aware of some of the things you mentioned, like distorted emotions, smell, etc.

I think your wife was absolutely brilliant - as you mentioned, swift intervention is crucial. I used to work in a hospital, and would have absolutely crapped myself if someone said the president was Richard Nixon!

John

PS : I like your writing style! Even though this is a serious subject, you actually still made me laugh! Hope you are well!

link   

sorry to hear that my friend...... here's a little tip, that may help you or someone else in the future:

STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she
assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call
paramedics). She said she had just tripped over a brick because of
her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she
appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the
rest of the evening .

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had
been taken to the hospital - at 6:00 pm Ingrid passed away. She
had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify
the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He
said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and
then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which
is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR.

Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.
Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke
victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to
recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three
simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE coherently -
i.e. It is sunny out today.

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call an
emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the
dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to
'stick' out his tongue... If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes
to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to10
people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

link   
Sorry to hear this Doc. Take care of yourself. One of my best friends recently had a series of mini-strokes and pretty much lost his vision. My prayers are with you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I feel bad that this happened to you. I'm happy that you survived this incident. I got to this part right here:

It was when I returned to the house, entering the front door, that I was abruptly overwhelmed with an unreasoning sense of despair, which descended into gloom within a few moments, followed by utter hopelessness a moment or so thereafter. Alarmed with this freakish mood swing, I decided not to return to the computer, but rather headed upstairs for a lie-down.

And extinguished my cigarette. I think it's time I get back on Chantix.

You may have just saved my life.

S&F

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
You may have saved several lives with your account.
Very well done. Parts of it almost reminded me of a seizure (I've had seizures all my life) especially the part where your thoughts were there but you couldn't articulate. Very frustrating feeling.

I'm very glad you made it through and have given up smoking. I gave it up 10 years ago and I hope more people here on ATS are able to follow in those footsteps.

Good luck and good health to you!

[edit on 5/28/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the information Doc! That must have been scary moment in your life and i am glad you have come back from it with the will power to now quit smoking.

I too am a smoker and realized a long time ago that I too must stop what I am doing to myself but still have not found the will or the power to do it.

Your story is one that may help me. I printed it off so I can remind myself of the damage I am doing to myself each time I smoke a cigarette. I have already slowed my habit tremendoulsy now I need to take the next step and just quit.

Thanks for sharing your story and please continue to take care of yourself!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Thanks for taking the time to detail your experience, which, of course, was about strokes and only minimally about smoking.

We all think we know enough about strokes today, but I'll bet about every one reading your account learned something new. Thanks, again.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Hey Doc,

You know how it goes, pics or it didn't happen!

Just kidding, welcome back to the land of the living. Oh, and thanks for giving ME that final push off the cliff of quitting! I've been smoking since high school and just yesterday I decided it was time to quit and to start taking better care of myself. Then what do I see first thing today, your post! Amazing story, and if you don't mind I'll pass it around to a few friends who definitely need to hear it.

Again, welcome back and thank goodness for that!

V/R
--Apex

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Doc you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for your corageous and well-articulated story and best wishes for a complete, speedy, and full recovery.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I hope that your wife threw away the cigarettes right away. Either way, hang in there, the first week of quitting is the worst. After that you know you can get away from it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join