It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes? Doc Velocity Just Had a Stroke...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Thanks for the thread and info here. Much love to you Doc, I hope that you recover VERY well.

My prayers and positive energy are with you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I am just continually surprised at the ocean waves of posters coming in automatically accepting the "it's caused by smoking" explanation which was never proven at all.

It was just an assumption. A guy almost died, and everyone assumed what the cause could be, and left it at that. Stop smoking.

Where are the tests that proved this?

First off I’d like to say I’m no quitter, I have thought of it a thousand times And it passes just as quick. I’ve had somewhere under about a half pack since my last post.
But when someone quits A puppy dies I applaud them.
As far as a stroke it may be an assumption but I have been told by more than one doctor nicotine in particular will shrink and harden blood vessels.
Of course someone saying it even if they are a doctor doesn’t make it so.
I would love to be able to test and see if that was true but, I have no lab setup and wouldn’t know how to test for it if that were so. And I do agree that if you do too much of anything it will kill you. Mostly I assume that if the tobacco companies aren’t coming out with counter intel, it must be true.
Some people say they are afraid of death but it will happen no matter what so…
Either way I’m still a smoker and probably will be until the day I die. Whether it be by stroke or an asteroid falling from the sky.
But do live your life, and a favorite quote comes to mind, “it’s better to burn out, than to fade away”!
All in all if I could do it all over again I probably do the same thing, I don’t have any real regrets.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your story Doc, I wish you a speedy and full recovery. Glad to see that you can still inject a little humour at the end of your post, it's a very important thing to hold on to. I'm another one battling the addiction of smoking, I've always got an excuse to not give up. I need to start looking at the excuses TO give up a little more I think. Thanks for the inspiration, sorry it was at a personal cost to you . Rest up Doc, and good luck with quitting, you can do it, it's just a state of mind. Be strong.

[edit on 28/5/2010 by Acidtastic]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Thanks for posting that, Doc. I sent it to my wife, her Dad had a stroke last year, and he cannot remember a thing. I guess I am lucky, I am 56, and smoked for 38 years, pack and a half a day, sometimes more. Oh yes, I quit a few times, once for a year, on a $20 bet. But always picked them up again. I loved to smoke, (Camels) loved everything about it, even played in the ashtray. It has been a year now, and friends, I still want one on occasion. I miss it bad. Trouble is, what made me finally decide to quit for good, I woke up in the middle of the night coughing bad. Couldn't stop, no matter what. This went on for 30 minutes, my wife was about to call 9-11. Finally it stopped and I gave it up right then. No health problems, and I can breathe a lot better now. I hope you are right as rain after this, my wife's poor Dad still is not the same, he lost most feeling in his right side, and bowel and urine control. He lives in a nursing home, poor guys. Again, thanks!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Sounds like an epic adventure to say the least. Glad I don't smoke. Everything you seemed to describe where the same symptoms I get on certain mushrooms, P. Cubensis actually, minus the actual trouble or risk of dying. It sucks that this happened to you, but it almost seems like EVERYONE could use a reality check like this. For you to legitimately stop smoking is going to be a major change, and one well deserved by your body.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Very articulate, DV and very well-worded! I'm relieved to hear you are OK. I'm glad I never started the habit of smoking and accounts like these are just further vindication for not starting the habit.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I'm so glad to hear you're doing alright, and I thank you for sharing this very personal, very traumatic experience for the benefit of everyone who might read it. This is really a good wake up call for those with poor lifestyle choices/issues, myself and my overeating issue included (even if the main thrust of your post was something I don't do, which is smoke.)

The clarity and focus you described having even under such an intense and frightening circumstance is something you should be proud of in my opinion. I'm not a religious person myself, but I do know that the ability to focus on something and to remain calm and sort of "give yourself" to whatever uncontrollable situation you're in is key to remaining both focused and capable in emergency situations. Your ability to do so is an inspiration.

Stay healthy and take it easy.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I really wish I could tell you that I was going to quit, but I can't. "Denial isn't just a river in Egypt" But, I am going to file this in the "you should know better" folder of my life.

I have smoked for nearly 15 years with a 7 year hiatus in there somewhere. For me, during the period where I quit I expanded to a whopping 235lbs and was really heading for some serious health complications due to the rapid weight gain. I was already starting to get winded doing mundane chores and my 350lb father had died of High blood pressure, Diabetes, hypertension etc. all a result of his morbid obesity.

Oddly enough I just had to take a rather extensive physical for the BP oil cleanup and the doctor confided in me that normally she can see some signs of a smoker but I show none, that was not meant as an encouragement for me to continue, she noted.

At present I can ride 100 miles on a street bicycle and smoke all the while, its just a staple in my existence.

I like others wish I had never started but I did and now I have to deal with that, I'm sure I will live to regret it.

I really appreciated your submission like so many others of yours and I will not forget what you have shared here. Glad you made it buddy.

Star and flagged (as if there was any doubt)

[edit on 28-5-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
glad to hear youre alright. just a suggestion for anyone having a hard time quitting, i suggest investing in one of those electric cigarettes. a friend of mine owned a kiosk that sold them and i quit smoking using it. right away you eliminate the carcinogens in smoke without compromising nicotine and even if you just make the switch and never quit its proving to be much safer. just google it

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Thanks for your post. Could save a life. My mothers husband suffered a stroke about a year ago, but wasn't as lucky as you. Folks should be aware that certain drugs like plavix can cause older patients to slowly bleed out from a stroke, complicating the problem.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Hey, Doc-

Sorry to hear about your stroke, and I hope you feel better!!

If you have a hard time giving the smoking up, I'd recommend seeking the help of a local hypnotherapist in your area. Also, find a hypnotherapist who will do a 4-session approach, and not a 1-session approach. The success rate is much higher with a 4 session approach, compared to a one-session approach.

If you don't want to try hypnosis, there are also some homeopathic remedies you can get without a prescription at any health food store that can help with the cravings. Bioron homeopathics make a homeopathic "stop smoking kit", which contains 4 different remedies in it.

Best of luck, and feel better soon.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Outstanding.... I stopped smoking 4 months ago on the 21st. Still have dreams about cigarettes, but scold myself if i try to have a drag in the dreams..its weird.

Good job at staying alive, I can't say I always agree with you, but it's still more fun with you here.

..Ex

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by muzzleflash

To blame smoking without having done extensive testing; is not scientific at all.

I can't argue with that... but that being said, smoking certainly wouldn't have helped Docs stroke. Let's just all be thankful that Doc survived and leave the debates and negativity at the door for this particular thread!

i say....half truths need to be exposed, & such is the case by blaming smoking directly, just bad science as the Dr. postulated it was a chunk-a plaque that broke off a clogged artery or something.

but i also think that quitting the smoking habit is beneficial, i'm uncertain on the nicotene though, i guess we'll see in time as those electronic cigarettes get more useage among the population.
i too was a smoker for ? 30+ yrs?... and the smokes didn;t cause my stroke/hemorrhage, it was a result of a black widow bite on my left big toe...

i only tried twice to quit, (my end-it low point) was the pinch-in-the-chest, and the realization that i was hooked despite my rationalizations otherwise.
it must have been Dec 2001 that my 2nd try at quitting actually worked out, ~ funny thing is i still have two free cartons of 'Dorals' stashed in a closet, i had sent in like 200 coupons per carton at some Doral promotion... one regular/one menthol...
I will keep those puppies for trading when the money system breaks down completely.

if you are old enough to recall, the 'Raleigh' cigarette brand also used to have coupons in the pack & in the carton, i had a bank money sack filled with just the carton-coupons & several shoe boxes of pack coupons when i was hospitalized in '72....my ex cashed in those puppies for well over $150 cash @ 1/10 of 1 cent apiece, so smoking had a hidden benefit in my cases...don't know about yours or the others

hope Doc V doesn't have bad results from his stroke,
but in the world of Zen... struggles are to be accepted

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the kick up the rear Doc. Glad to see you got through it.

I only hope I don't forget about this incredible, priceless post after a day or two.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I'm glad to hear you're doing okay now, that sounds like a very life changing experience.

Its shocking to see how many people are happy you made it, with little or no mention of your wife, who was your true savior that day.

You are truly so lucky she came in when she did, and knew the symptoms. You could have easily just slipped out of this world, had you not been found when you were, in the state you were in. It would have been tragic, had you slipped into unconsciousness, and she walked by and left you alone, assuming you were napping.

You're wife deserves some sort of medal of honor and probably much more. The funny thing is, I dont smoke, so your purpose of getting people to stop smoking didnt apply. What did apply however, is the notion of marriage. I dont intend on ever marrying. I just like my personal space, and silence.

This story makes me realize the importance of having someone there to look out for you when you cannot look out for yourself.

Who knows, maybe I wont kick my girlfriend out after all......your story just bought her a few more weeks.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hey Doc.. Long time lurker, just signed up recently and this is my first post...

As a long time nicotine user that finally got over the hump I wish you well on your journey.

I have finally kicked it after at least 20 attempts in the past 10-15 years. I wanted to share with you a couple of things that made my last attempt different from all the rest.

Any of my previous attempts didn't fail because of a 'lack of desire'. I've wanted to quit for ages, however it seems that I always looked for an excuse to have that 'one' that would lead me back to being totally addicted. I tried Chantix, the Patch, Gum, acupuncture, etc.. you name it I gave it a try. The only time I had been successful in the past was when I was on a two week trip to Europe, and l decided that since I was going to be messed up due to jet lag I quit cold turkey that time. A few years later while drinking a beer, I conned a friend into sharing and next thing you knew I was addicted for another ten years.

Anyway enough rambling.. The two things that were really different in my life for the latest attempt, is that I knew deep down I had to make a lifestyle change. I had to do this for me and for no one else, and if there were things that I did that made me crave more, maybe I had to look at whether I should be doing those things too (i.e. drinking alcohol).

The second thing was a light from god in the form of a talk from my mother.. Mom being a former smoker saw me struggling really bad about two weeks into this attempt. I was freaking out, because we were out shopping and I had forgotten some nicotine gum. Her comment to me was.. I'm not sure if I would have ever been able to quit if they had that stuff when I finally did. Way I see it, you can't ever get it totally out of your system if you are using that stuff.

I didn't have a piece of that darn gum from that day forward. The next two days were a nightmare, but when I got through them, my mind was totally in a different spot.

I wish you well Doc, or anyone who wants to shed the 'nicotine' demon, as it is a huge beast.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Doc-

Wow. That is all I have to say. You are by far one of my favorite contributors to the forums, and I am extremely relieved that you will still be able to contribute your wittiness to the rest of us (selfish I know....
)

I have had a few family members go through massive strokes in their lives, and many were not as lucky as you were. I am so glad that you sought treatment right away.

I have been a smoker going on ten years now. I quit for a whole six months during my college years. Of course, it was during this time that I developed quite an alcohol abuse problem, and I went back to smoking, as I thought it would be the lesser of two evils. My alcohol consumption has dropped to almost nothing, as the motto in my family (many former alcoholics) is: "One is too many, and ten isn't enough." I've tried kicking it several times, did everything from the patches to the gum, to natural tobacco, to the e-cigarettes that so many people are advertising. I just cannot kick it. I truly think that it isn't a matter of willpower in many smokers. It is a matter of chemical addiction.

But anyway, I am glad that you are okay, and that you are still healthy.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, and also for kicking the habit once and for all. If anything else, your story is a bit of a motivator for me to attempt to kick it once again.

Take good care my friend.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Glad you made it through so well, a flag for your excellent descriptions despite the confusion and fear... We've only got one body and as a people we Americans tend to use it as a pleasure center without concern for long term effects. When it comes to health, “I told you so’s” and “you knew better than that’s” are usually too little too late. So before it becomes a time of “if only I’d listened”, heed these words; SMOKEING CIGARETTES WILL SEVERLY DAMAGE HEALTH, AND IF YOU LIVE LONG ENOUGH FOR IT TO DO SO, WILL KILL YOU. YES, DEAD.

I hate coming off so negative in a thread that should be rejoicing the life returned to one so young, but CIGARETTES KILL, and that is not even nearly new information. DENY IGORANCE! or die?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Heh. Its a good thing I quit smoking cigs the day I arrived stateside and switched to shrubs. I feel much better now and free from addiction. Hope you feel well and remember this painful lesson so that it doesn't become a repeat of history.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Great story and very well written, glad you're OK!
Proud to say I have never smoked (or even touched a cigarette) and hopefully never will, though I won't try to stop anyone who thinks they look cool doing it lol.

I have friends who've tried to quit and sadly they never lasted more than a few weeks
, the trick it seems is never to start. Wish I had known that before I had started playing WoW ;-).

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Xadaz]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join