It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Democrats Should Become Libertarians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Because wars of aggression are wrong.

Ron Paul puts us in the shoes of an occupied person in yet another riveting speech.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Ya, not forgetting that you are a fan of the Chilean coup, which was violent and a clear example of the Unites States and its M.I.C complete with a crackpot dictator; nation building on behalf of corporate interests... Our way of the highway -

So often the mouth of a Paul and the Heart of a Bush

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

What a load of lies, but thanks for telling me what I'm in favor of.

You must be a mind reader.

I'm in favor of free markets and economic freedom, neither of which have anything to do with coups.

However, we can see that Pinochet eventually lost power due to the free market reforms he allowed the Chicago School to implement.

I'm also not entirely in favor of Chicago School economics; however they are certainly better than the Keynesian bullcrap we have going on now that is destroying our country.

I hope you bought some gold, because the dollar and all your communist social services are going bye bye here soon.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Liberetarians are pro- individual rights and against big government. All these dem's in office currently are pro-big government and don't give a damn about individual rights. Doesn't really make sense... Sure, would be great if all these Obamanites and other Dems would stop trying to takeover our economy and impose stricter regulations on well, everything, but unfortunately I just don't see that happening. Public sector takeover, more taxes, more entitlements, just downright getting tired of it. DON'T TREAD ON ME! Now that's a forgotten phrase that used to mean something.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Libertarians or LIBERALtarians ??

We already have enough of the latter... you know the ones who say they're libertarians but support the welfare state in the form of open borders.

Also whats so libertarian about free trade with slave nations ?
Both nations eventually end up with slave wages.

You can thank the CATO clowns and LIBERALtarians like greenspan for that kind of crap.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Can't see Dems ever being Libertarians.. they care only for the acute minority and support mega government ..

Dems and Repubs should unite and form a Fascist Coalition, and just be done with it.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Liberals think they know better than you do what you need, and will go the extra mile to force it on you....... Libertarians believe in letting you dictate to yourself what it is you believe, which makes a lot more sense... imagine people getting to believe what they believe without someone else penalizing them for it? I am all for that 100%
I think liberals that believe they are smarter than everyone else are going to end up getting an azz kicking by someone they dont believe in at all.....

[edit on 28-5-2010 by alienreality]

[edit on 28-5-2010 by alienreality]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Thinking people should definitely abandon the Republicrat Party. However, a better fit for your average Democrat would probably be the Green Party. Repubs and Independents probably the Libertarian Party. I tend to split my vote between the two, favoring Libertarians locally, and Greens nationally. But I have NEVER been a democrat, and only registered Republican once, to vote for Ron Paul in a primary. The two parties are a CORPORATELY sponsored sham. Vote third party!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
So you can only be against unjust war if you're a Libertarian? Hmm sorry I didn't see that one on the party registration cards.

There are plenty of people from every political persuasion that believe in ethics, the Iraq War was illegal and the things that the United States and United Kingdom have done to prisoners are warcrimes.

You do not have to belong to any party to believe that such things are far below the standards of a civilized nation.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Didn't you know mnemeth, Now that the Democrats are in Power "War is good"!

The Dems I find actually worse than the Repubs, because of their hypocrisy.

Think about it, at least the Repubs have the balls to admit they are backers of the Empire. The Dems are just a bunch of liars, self inflicted liars. They do not admit they are a bunch of war profiteers just as the Repubs are.

Notice that they will not probably watch the video.

Dems or Repubs, why do you not answer Dr. Paul's question?

What would you do if a foreign country's military were patrolling your streets? WELL?

Funny, the Dems keep believing the lie or lie to themselves that we are EVER going to pull out of Iraq.

EXCUSE ME, once there we will never pull out. 700+ military bases in 130+ countries.

OP, keep pounding them with the truth and their own HYPOCRISY.

S&F for the vid. Ridley Report!

[edit on 5/28/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Seems like an odd fit to me. The average Democrat politician wouldn't make a good libertarian at all, from what I've seen. Most of them are nothing more or less than big government authoritarians who want to micromanage every aspect of Americans' lives. This is the primary reason why I could never support them.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
In regards of individual freedoms, republicans are totally against that compared to dems. Republicans don't want abortion, want everything censored, don't want people to have the choice to do drugs, can't internet gamble, the list goes on and on. Republicans are anti-fun

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jbalon

Against freedom of speech? That isn't a true republican. Conservatives want to hold the original consitutional rights, which include freedom of speech. They aren't the one controlling MSM and trying to censor the internet along with other attempted violations to freedom of speech.

While republicans are generally conservative, the same way that democrats are generally liberals, think of libertarians vs statists an up and down spectrum of belief compared to the left and right swing of conservatism vs liberalism--> aka, they fall on both sides.

Libertarians = pro individual freedom
Statists = pro big brother dictating you

There are both conservative and liberal libertarians, as well as both conservative and liberal statists. This thread has seems to have some clouded ideology over this.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Libertarianism is no-nonsence, efficient

but it is hardly a panacea.

Death has exactly those same attributes, too.

Unmonitoried capitalism turns into nothing more than gangsterism, dictatorship.

Free markets must be FAIR markets to remain healthy & vital.

The best market monitoring is an intelligent, skeptical, educated/informed public that reads all the fine print before signing,
but government has to make it starkly clear that it is in favor of honest, informed business & will step in as necessary if markets are not keeping themselves reasonably honest & clean.

It is not about ego or morality it is about reasonably optimized function.

I think many so-called libertarians only support freedom for corporations & the rich & fail to apply those same freedoms to & for individuals.

Your body, your life are YOUR capitalist possession. Not state or religious property of someone else.
Drug prohibitions are communist, moralistic laws that have no credible basis either in economics or egalitarian liberty & freedom.

The tricky part with equality is balancing relatively powerless individuals & their rights & property against the powerful & entrenched oligarchs.
Ideological Libertarianism doesn't even try to do that.

I think we have inherent collective property.
Air.
Water.
Social, environmental & economic conditions.
And all the lofty protestations to the contrary do not hide the bald fact.

I respect [honest thinking] libertarianism's efficiency & honesty.

Essentially libertarianism is anarchy, but anarchy is not the horrible thing it is portrayed as. There are some tendencies for people to self-organize. A system that takes measured advantage of that co-opts people's own impulses with harmony rather than inefficient antagonism, if it is not necessary.

Good laws simply shepherd & guide anarchy into more generally beneficial directions.
Intelligent people realize good government is more about fluid dynamics, than static, frozen absolutes.

I do believe in spare, but not non-existent government.
It should take care of the general confines of our context, & be very cautious about dictating minute details.
If we do have government welfare programs they should be efficient, human without luxurious self-indulgences. They should demonstrate cost effective benefits to the people, or they should be shut down.

Bloated bureaucracies should not forever self perpetuate if they have lost sight of their jobs & missions.
And that would include the bloated, treasonous Pentagon at this point.
Creating wars so it can rationalize war budgets. No.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
BTW, 'Democrats' are just a different costumed corporate meat puppets from the 'Republican' corporate meat puppets.

Beyond a few individuals i don't see how any thinking person could in good conscious vote more most of these whores from the two major parties.

Political parties are anathema to democracy. They try to foist unwanted shills upon people with shallow deceptive rhetoric & bloated war chests garnered from corrupting influences.

They are the people's elections, NOT the parties, the corporations or any other alien influence's.

Only people/voters/resident/citizens from a given district should be able to contribute directly to the campaign in that district.

Corrupting influences can still advertise, but they get NO direct access to a candidate's campaign [contributions].

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

DrmocRATS cant become Libertarians because they want to tell us what to do everywhere but the bed room and tax and regulate the crap out of everything exept condums .

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I could never be a libertarian because they are laissez faire capitalists.

I believe capitalism needs some curbs and restraints put on it. Like the proposed new Wall Street reforms.

While many leftists may support non-interventionism in world affairs, they are generally not in agreement that we should return to the days of the Robber Barons in the United States.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Wait if Democrats become Libertarians, they might have to think on their on now. I don't know if the Kool Aid Drinking Pack Mentality thinking elites are ready to venture out and think on their own. They wouldn't know how to cast a vote without someone telling them which button to push.

top topics

join