It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
To both "dontblink" and "stereovoyaged". You guys are both making pretty much the same point. You have to compare the problem to drugs. Drugs are illegal in America yet they are everywhere. Simply outlawing something doesn't make it's use less rampant or any less unavailable. The criminals will always find a way.

Good law abiding citizens use their guns for hunting and self protection. By taking away their guns the deaths the guns cause will be much more one-sided.

Associated Content rates Norway as the safest country to live in (Source). Guns are legal (with license) like they are in the U.S (Source). The abundancy of guns is not the problem. As long as guns are in the hands of the legal citizens then it's not an issue.

The top four on that list of safest countries allow their citizens to own guns.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

this reminds me of a case in england where a farmer shot two tresspassing boys who were trying to rob him. He went to jail for trying to protect his property.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Im glad the burglar is dead and not the homeowners.

And what the heck is wrong with Chicago? Handguns are banned? This is exactly why they shouldnt be. Its easier for an 80 year old to handle than a shotgun when burglar killing.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

give this man a MEDAL.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dontblink

See... making more stringent laws for law abiding citizens will only harm the citizens. Criminals once again do not follow the law, there will simply be more break ins and stolen weapons. Its a vicious cycle... I will just keep carrying mine and pray no one tries to take it from me because they won't be standing very long.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
De-arming of civilians as pointed out gives criminals an upper hand. I DO NOT understand why people are defending the criminal. He broke into a house that is not his, shot his weapon, and had malevolent intent.

I have yet to see one good case as to why he should be defended. When you commit a crime the law will not protect you and a person defending themselves will not protect you.

Finally on the matter of gun control. If you can not disarm the population WITHOUT disarming the police then it is no different then a police state. If weapon banning worked so well why would the police need weapons? When I last checked police themselves were civilians.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The 80yr old did what was right.

He is a husband, defending his wife.

A former soldier who fought for his nation(my grandpa fought in korea too).

A veteran who lived to return home, and probably raised kids in that same house.

A home owner who pays taxes to support his city,state and nation.

what choice do you have, when you have a wife upstairs, a criminal downstairs, and regardless of his service record(gramps), you are the only thing between the criminal, and what he MAY do to your wife if you do not act?

for anyone not willing to defend your family or YOUR OWN LIFE, with extreme prejudice, no more talk is needed from you. hopefully, i never want to see you in a situation even remotely similar to the old man, as the outcome will likely be tragic.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by ahmonrarh]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Lets see here, right to bear arms, protecting his own property, saved the lives of himself and his beloved wife, someone should give this guy a medal. I don't see any wrong here really. If it comes down to it, his life or some gang banger's life, it isn't a hard choice. Even if this so called "home invader" didn't have a weapon he still should have gotten shot. That's what he gets for trying to thug up on the elderly. As for it being a legality issue, I don't see the issue, few lives saved, and one more criminal off the streets.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

People don't carry guns only to use them. They bring them first to use, I'd say, because they're compact and due to the fact that the homeowner has an entire stock of weapons other than guns if they don't have guns...like bats or knives.

You are in much more trouble to kill innocent people than not to, even if they have a weapon such as a bat. Yet here I read people ganging up on imperial (or whatever) as if he's an idiot for thinking he didn't plan to use the gun. One commenter said "if he didn't plan to use the gun then why did he bring it?"

Even in so many movies when there is a bank robbery, the gunmen bring the guns to subdue the people, NOT to kill them. This excludes exceptions such as when the cops show up or if someone else pulls a gun.

The point is that robbers want to rob a place. Murderers want to kill people, and due to the fact that Chicago has the laws they do, the robbers might not have expected the guy to have the gun so they really never expected to have to use theirs!

Completely the opposite of what seems to be the general consensus here.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You are so wrong.

You say the old guy killed that kid for NO REASON? HELLO?

The kid broke into the old guy's house intent on stealing or murdering or both.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Good for him! This is why I own guns!

As I came into work tonight I read online that 2 homes, right down the street from mine, were strongarm robbed tonight. Doors kicked in and guns thrown down, and the police report to the paper says they have had several of these in my area this week! You better believe that if I get broken into while I am home, that sucker is getting shot right between the eyes!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheNewKid

OK, that is total crap - this man went to jail for trying to protect his property.

What has happened in this world?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

ill paste some cases

www.securedhome.co.uk...

this site outlines the case, was big news here

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

let me give you an example of what this world is coming to my friend.

My grandpa and I came home from a hunting trip in winter of 05 to find my grandmother being beaten by a young thug kid right in the front yard of thier house. My grandpa shot the kid 5 times in the chest with a .454 contender pistol ( for those of you that dont know its a very large pistol round, i use it as a sidearm hunting brown bear as well as boar all over the country it will stop a bear in it tracks) My grandma spent 2 weeks in the hospital, she was lucky.
Because it was in the front yard and not in the house my grandfather was convicted of justifiable homicide at age 67 and he got 5 years in a federal prison. The police said that the kid was high on coc aine and he had some in a bag in his pocket. Had we not shown up when we did he would have beaten her to death and probably robbed the house. Freedom.......

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
What the Author of this post failed to say was. This intruder, was surprised by the home owner and shot at the home owner first and missed . Lucky, the 80 year old man was a better shot than the intruder and hit him twice, killing him.

Gun laws here in Chicago only hurt law abiding citizens . felons dont care about gun laws.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by TheNewKid

OK, that is total crap - this man went to jail for trying to protect his property.

What has happened in this world?

I think that is another case?

Last I saw on this case said that charges were not expected to be filed.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Good for him.

all I know is if someone breaks into my home.

They are leaving in pieces.

I'd probably choose to use my Katana, or my throwing knives

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

The guy was probably breaking in to steal something. He wasn't going to kill the old man, come on.

Unless the old-timer is a significant man, I doubt the home-invader would have done anything more than steal.

the ROBBER (not just a burglar) shot at the old man. Come on now.

On a side note, i don't get these people, if someone broke into my house with a weapon, i'd kill him and bury him in the back yard.

No one needs to know.

[edit on 5/29/2010 by JPhish]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

Good on YOU!! That is the right attitude!! If you involve the cops, even if you are in the right, it will cost youe tens of thousands of dollars. Trust me. It is SO much easier, to just use them as fertilizer. Of course, it HELPS, to have a 640 acre Ranch....

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

It's sad the kid was shot, but he made his choice when he picked up a gun and broke into this 80 year old guys house.

Imagine you are old and at 80 you are going to be feeble.

My husband is tall, thin, lanky, exercises every single day, except Sunday since he was 30, has always maintained his weight meticulously and at 66 (yesterday) he is starting to become "old".

You have no idea what it is to be pulling six decades of life behind you.

Most of you people out there are like under 40 - your still young and have no idea what so ever what getting old is like.

Getting old is a titch.

The guy for christs sake was 80. The burgler was what 30, come on - that's like a domestic kitten tangling with a tiger - good for the old guy - him having a gun was the only thing that saved his arse.

The kid was a predator, he thought he could prey on a old person and get away with stealing what the old guy worked for and maybe even worse.

Now, there's one less predator on this ball of dirt we all have to worry about.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join