It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“It’s BP’s Oil”

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Ahhh. My apologies then. I saw that eye-rolling emoticon and thought there was the taint of smarminess in your comment. My mistake. Carry on.

I can see how that looked like it. My bad.

Wanna hug it out?

Consider yourself squeezed like a boa constrictor

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
How much of the 100 BILLION in TAXPAYER subsidies we give to oil companies each year is going to BP?

They aren't paying for it....WE ARE...no matter how you cook it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
reply to post by Maxmars

No, I think it's more like $75 MILLION which is laughable given that the Valdez cleanup cost in the billions but this ceiling would be removed if significant safety violations occurred....this according to this article. It remains to be seen what kind of legal arguments BP will put up in paying "legitimate" claims. Imagine the legal maneuvers going on now. Part of the statute put in place after the Valdez spill.

The 1990 statute, which imposed liability as well as a cap, was passed because of the Exxon Valdez spill. It requires responsible parties to restore the land or “provide some equivalent resource to offset the loss,”

www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 25-5-2010 by ChrisCrikey]

You are correct.... dunno what I was thinking.

Still - it is a paltry sum considering the profit.

I think they should have all federal subsidies revoked until the site is declared 'restored' by the local community.... but how likely is that to happen?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
On top of that, read in one of the threads here that the employees that died were valued at $10 million each, is that correct? Can't find it anywhere now.

At 11 employees dead, wouldn't that mean they MADE a $110 million profit just on "Dead Peasant" insurance?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Good idea...at the very least we shouldn't have to subsidize anyone who has shown such blatant disregard to safety especially when it looks like they monitor and score themselves on their own standards. It's insane that we have let huge corporations self monitor.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

On top of that, read in one of the threads here that the employees that died were valued at $10 million each, is that correct? Can't find it anywhere now.

At 11 employees dead, wouldn't that mean they MADE a $110 million profit just on "Dead Peasant" insurance?

Wow, i hope that's not true, but i seriously do not doubt it. BP doesnt deserve any of that money. Plus, it's not like they just died by accident, they died because BP didnt take the proper precautions.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gamecock

Wow, i hope that's not true, but i seriously do not doubt it. BP doesnt deserve any of that money. Plus, it's not like they just died by accident, they died because BP didnt take the proper precautions.

I hope it's not true as well. Should have subscribed to that thread. But it would not surprise me if they did make money off of the deaths of their employees. It's just too easy to imagine a corporation like BP to employ the "dead peasant" insurance practices.

I just wish we had access to that information so we know exactly how much those lives were worth to them.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I hope it's not true as well. Should have subscribed to that thread. But it would not surprise me if they did make money off of the deaths of their employees. It's just too easy to imagine a corporation like BP to employ the "dead peasant" insurance practices.

I just wish we had access to that information so we know exactly how much those lives were worth to them.

Apparently it was $10 million per life.

The secret document is referred to as the "Three Little Pigs" memo. There was a thread here on it yesterday.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Thanks drummer! That's what I was referring to, but I forgot where the info came from.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Oh man it's making me so sick, What sucks is this is just the start wait till all the dead stuff starts washing up and the plants die and the fires that burn and burn and kill whatever is left!

I feel like we just keep kicking nature! over and over and over.

<< 1   >>

join