It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masons - Reasons?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hi all

I have thinking about joining the masons for a while now after a friend who is a mason said " You would do well and learn a lot from joining". I have asked him a few questions which he has answered in a NON detailed way. In other words, not telling me any secrets but correcting me on subjects i have touched upon.

Before I ask him to sponcer me I have asked myself what are my reasons for joining?

This is where I get stuck. I have no reason other than selfish reasons which I find very odd. I DO NOT want to join to gain buisness gains or anything like that.

I am not writing this thread to try find out the secrets, if there is any.

Can you guys who are masons tell me the reasons for joining?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I joined because I really like the idea of Brotherhood. I attended an all-boys school in my youth and missed that fraternity-type environment.

Secondly, I've always been interested in esoteric studies, so there was the curiosity aspect as well.

I got exactly what I was looking for, and have found it a wonderful experience.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gareth01422

If you can't think of a reason to join, then perhaps it's not for you. I joined for a variety of reasons... camaraderie/brotherhood/fellowship and self-improvement through exposure to allegorical teachings & philosophies were the top two for me. But I'm the type of person who strongly believes you never stop learning, and my thirst for knowledge is unquenchable, so this was an additional avenue for me to explore.

Your milage may vary.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Its like a fraternity I am no mason but if you like the idea of a fraternity join

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It isn't selfish to want want to better one's self?

Masonry has a lot of mottos. One of them is, "Making Good Men, Better."

You should join to learn some history, learn some moral codes, gain a lot of good friends with equivalent morals and virtues, and gain a lot of camaderie.

By joining you will also have an opportunity to join other groups like the Shriners. Participation in other activities is good for the Charities, good for the Community, and good for you and your family!

There really is no downside to joining, except for a little bit of time commitment at first.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

We get this question from time to time.. Ultimately, it comes down to .. when you reflect on yourself, if there is nothing prohibiting you from joining, then join. If there is, don't join. Being a Mason, and being initiated, all revolves around the fact that you do it of your own free will.. that you are blindly accepting assistance from a Brotherhood in seeking what ever it is your seeking. It's a deeply personal reflection, yet you are assisted the entire way.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thats what I was needing to hear, thank you.

I was trying to think of reason with out being selfish.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

This is how I understood it, as you said.

I am speaking to my friend this about it.

Do I just say, " I would like to become a freemason, would you help me by being my sponcer?"

I know this may be a silly question but is that the right way of asking with the term sponcer?

Thanks for all the help guys

I still think it is intresting to hear the reasons for people joining.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gareth01422
Do I just say, " I would like to become a freemason, would you help me by being my sponcer?"

I know this may be a silly question but is that the right way of asking with the term sponcer?

You can ask someone to be your sponser but it is typically refered to as signing someones petition.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
brilliant

Thanks for the help guys.

I will let you know how i get on.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I joined because I am a student of history, and this ineterested me. I also like the fact that wherever I am, there are those nearby who will help me out if needed. Once you discover a stranger is a Mason, it seems as if you have known that person for a while....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by aMason

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but you don't speak like a Mason...

"I also like the fact that wherever I am, there are those nearby who will help me out if needed."

This is not the typical thought process of someone who has stood in the North-East corner of the lodge. If you are indeed a Mason, may I suggest that you spend a little more time trying to discover the secret in the lesson you were taught while standing in that corner.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Growing up I did a lot of volunteer and charitable work so that aspect of the Masons interested me. While deployed overseas I did a lot of research and read a lot of books (both for and against) on Freemasonry. I moved to Boise, ID, not knowing a soul really and wanted to establish a everlasting friendship that would stay with me in my travels; even more reason to join the Masons. The history of them intrigued me as I am a dual history-political science major in college.

After sitting down with them at their dinner I liked the group of men that were there and really liked that many of them were prior military.

The stars really did align in this part of my life. The Masons and myself seemed made for each other and I have had an excellent time. I waited a few years till I branched out to the York Rite and then not until this last year did I join the Eastern Star (my better half insisted as she was a member).

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
reply to post by aMason

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but you don't speak like a Mason...

"I also like the fact that wherever I am, there are those nearby who will help me out if needed."

This is not the typical thought process of someone who has stood in the North-East corner of the lodge. If you are indeed a Mason, may I suggest that you spend a little more time trying to discover the secret in the lesson you were taught while standing in that corner.

Im sorry, I thought brotherhood was a perfectly good reason to become a Mason.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by aMason

Brotherhood is. But the first lesson you're taught is what you can do for others, not what others can do for you. So from your quote, you've missed the whole lesson of charity.

[edit on 5/27/2010 by JoshNorton]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
not joining would be foolish, many including myself would pay big to have the oppertunity you have. Not everyone has a mason willing to voucher them in and you should not pass up the chance to open your mind.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj
not joining would be foolish, many including myself would pay big to have the oppertunity you have. Not everyone has a mason willing to voucher them in and you should not pass up the chance to open your mind.

As long as you don't have a serious criminal record, believe in 1 ever-living god (name not important, lol), and have an earnest desire to better yourself, I think there would be plenty of members willing to help you approach the Masons. If you need help, feel free to U2U me. Depending on your state, I may be able to help you directly, or at least put you in touch with someone who can. Good Luck!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Brotherhood is. But the first lesson you're taught is what you can do for others, not what others can do for you. So from your quote, you've missed the whole lesson of charity.

You can really tell by that one quote that I missed the whole lesson of charity? wow....

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

You can really tell by that one quote that I missed the whole lesson of charity? wow....

Fellas! We have two potential Masons asking about how to approach the Fraternity and seeking our guidance and wisdom on the subject you you want to quibble? Nice Example. Have your conversations in private, this isn't a "whose the better Mason" thread.

For all of you NWO/Masonic haters out there. This should serve as proof that you have nothing to worry about! The Masons are like any other group of men. We can't even decide on the validity of 1 sentence. We sure as hell are not taking over the world. We are lucky to get through a meeting without an implosion or temper tantrum!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by aMason

@ aMason: I apologize for my comment. It is not my place to judge.
We get so many imposters her, I reacted too hastily to a comment which I may have misinterpreted.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join