It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masons - Reasons?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have contemplated joining a few times.

I was, after a long session of correspondence, invited to join a co-masonry lodge, but i couldn't afford the travel expenses plus the dues. Seeing as i live in Canada, and Co-Masonry is primarily only in the US. The one Canadian Lodge in a French only speaking one.

I have been interested in the craft for the fraternity, the charity and the chance to better ones self through education, and communication. However, I tend to be a little hazy when it comes to the separation of the York and Scottish Rites. Does one have to Pay dues to their original Lodge (the Blue Lodge) when/if they move on and up to learn, and participate in the York or Scottish rite. The way it is here, i may be mistaken tho, is that the lodges are separate, or at least the Scottish Rite Lodges are.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by And Why
I have been interested in the craft for the fraternity, the charity and the chance to better ones self through education, and communication. However, I tend to be a little hazy when it comes to the separation of the York and Scottish Rites. Does one have to Pay dues to their original Lodge (the Blue Lodge) when/if they move on and up to learn, and participate in the York or Scottish rite. The way it is here, i may be mistaken tho, is that the lodges are separate, or at least the Scottish Rite Lodges are.
Dues for each body are separate, and since membership in Scottish Rite or York Rite bodies is dependent on being a member of a blue lodge, if you fail to pay dues to your blue lodge, you risk getting kicked out of them all.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I get that, and I don't believe in pure evil. I don't think anybody sets out to be evil, but if I was certain that I only had this life, and nothing more, I wouldn't limit myself in any way. I wouldn't be bound by the laws of God or Man. I would be more like an animal, may the strongest survive, breed, eat, etc. I wouldn't set out to hurt anybody, but I wouldn't be charitable either. I believe we are all innately connected through God, and that is my reason for trying to be a better person. It isn't fire and brimstone, but it is a belief in a higher spirit, and a connection to all living things. Without that connection, I really can't understand limiting my urges? Maybe I am borderline sociopath, because I honestly do not get the concept without that higher belief. It isn't a fear of retribution, or a promise of heaven, it is just a connection, but without that connection, pedal to the metal, lol!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Interesting to hear your take on it, at least. See, for me, we've only got one shot to get it right, and it's how we'll be remembered that is our legacy. What legacy do I leave for my children? How have I positively influenced the lives of my friends and those around me? So I live my life knowing I could die at any moment, and that doesn't scare me... Instead I live every moment to its fullest, and end every day with no lingering regrets—because in the end, there may not be the opportunity to make apologies to any I might have wronged.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
reply to

Interesting to hear your take on it, at least. See, for me, we've only got one shot to get it right, and it's how we'll be remembered that is our legacy. What legacy do I leave for my children? How have I positively influenced the lives of my friends and those around me? So I live my life knowing I could die at any moment, and that doesn't scare me... Instead I live every moment to its fullest, and end every day with no lingering regrets—because in the end, there may not be the opportunity to make apologies to any I might have wronged.

That was incredibly well and beautifully put brother....I'm proud you are my brother.

[edit on 16/7/2010 by ForkandSpoon]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join