It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Profanity and Censor Circumvention on the Rise

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I learned my lesson the other day. I typed in "snip" instead of ..... and got hit with a warning.

I was stumped at first, but, I completely understand.

Keep up the good work in an ever decaying political arena that is heavily laden with trolls seeking to provoke members in good standing.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

The point is that people just want to know what can or can't be used.

We all have our own personal opinions, but they are irrelevant when it comes to T&C.

I have raised my issues and asked for clarification.

Whatever the Amigo's and / or Admin decide I am willing to comply with, regardless of personal opinion, but very unlike ATS they have made no attempt to clarify for well over 48 hours now.

In the meantime members maybe getting warned when they could quite easily avoid it or, like me, are reluctant to contribute to threads they think they may contravene T&C.

The thing is, I never wanted to make an issue of this, just some simple answers and clarification, now I just feel as if I am being ignored and the one thing that really get's my back up is being ignored!!

But still, what does that matter in the grand scheme of thing's?
Very little I suspect.

But it is so unusual for ATS owners, admin and staff to act like this....????

Maybe it is getting to the point that I should just walk away from ATS, it is becoming less and less like the site it used to be.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

As stated previously I believe, this IS being discussed by the Staff..

48 hours is not a long time my friend when you consider we are all volunteer and have real lives and jobs.

I can assure you no one is being warned for this at the present time until the Staff comes to a definitive decision.

Let's relax some and let the Staff do their job no matter how slow you may think we are.. Okay?

Semper

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Thanks for the reply, that's all that was needed.....for the time being.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Just a quiet little nudge, it's been another 48hours....and still nothing.

I understand 'other' things have been going on but surely we could have had something by now...maybe that's how little regard we are held in when we respectfully and politely ask for clarification on something.

Not good.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Ok, everyone should get the point by now.

NO PROFANITY ON ATS.

AS FOR WTF, ETC, IT"S BEING LOOKED INTO.

*** Thread Closed ***

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Time to bump this up again and re-open it for discussion.

Staff are seeing the trend rise again and it must be addressed. Profanity and censor circumvention will NOT be allowed to increase.

The automatic censors do NOT absolve members from being warned over infractions
The practice of censor circumvention is WORSE than the above.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Oh... and about SHTF or other popular forms of censor circumvention, if it was up to a single staffer, it might be easily solved. The sheer number of past instances of that practice make it almost impossible to correct and I admit to having ignored it in the past myself.

However, this may change as staff policy.

When it does so and becomes an actionable T&C violation (which, imo, it already is), staff will handle it in an ongoing manner and not look back over nearly 10 million posts to sift through them for years old circumventions. There would be a public admin announcement and staff working on a clear and direct initiative going forward.

OK?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thank you for giving me my first laugh of the day.

"Fluffybottomsfartypants".

That was cute.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thank you for calling this to our attention and laying it straight out.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Makes no sense if we can not say ass which is barly a profanity in some examples of a donkey or basterd which was what oliver twist was, then they should be censored also if they can not be used, damn is also relating to damning a culture or so...... Is it being said we can not use that either if so they should be censored.. Don't warn me or remove my post either because I want to know what is on the line of acceptable and was is NOT.... PLEASE DECIPHER
edit on 9-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hello... glad you could contribute.

Originally posted by thecinic
Makes no sense if we can not say ass which is barly a profanity in some examples of a donkey or basterd which was what oliver twist was, then they should be censored also if they can not be used,

No.... 'ass' is not censored and will not be. However, context rules here. Call a member an ass and it's a personal attack.

'Bastard' falls under the same guidelines.

damn is also relating to damning a culture or so...... Is it being said we can not use that either if so they should be censored.

'Damn' is not censored either and only actioned if it is directed at a member, as in "You are an ass" and a personal attack

Don't warn me or remove my post either because I want to know what is on the line of acceptable and was is NOT.... PLEASE DECIPHER

OK... I won't and hope I clarified your concerns.
edit on 9/12/10 by masqua because: included remark on 'bastard'

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Ok i'm cool with that makes perfect sense thank you. Now my ass is going to go post and contribute in some threads

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Nice to see!
I despise vulgarity on ATS and I truly appreciate any efforts to curb it down.

I tried once here: Swearers face $100 fine and without too much success.

My favorite response was this one:

Always amusing to see people get anal retentive over the usage of profanity, be it the spoken or written word. You want to talk about childish...
Source

So the tides have turned!

APPLAUSE!

Now that the ‘word’ comes from the ‘Top’ maybe the vogue will change!

peace
edit on 9-12-2010 by silo13 because: Happy Holidays!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
Now my ass is going to go post and contribute in some threads

So that's where it's coming from. That explains a lot.
edit on 12/9/10 by MrDesolate because: typo

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
did you know that it is the US culture being most common on this board why you care about the censor thing?

Off-colour lanaguage is far more common in Canada than in the US. There is even studies on it.

Just thought you might like to know that your predisposition to censorship of off-colour language is a cultural bias.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Just thought you might like to know that your predisposition to censorship of off-colour language is a cultural bias.

Maybe so... but it's listed in the Terms & Conditions which you and I both agreed to on joining. It's not about what any one of us feels personally, members or staff alike.

Never felt the need to type foul language, no matter how much I disagreed with any member or topic and don't see why anyone else finds it desireable.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Just a thought/question. What if we are directly quoting something that has been said or written by someone else?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

I reported someone twice recently for an insulting ad hominem. Nothing was done. The same poster goes on all the threads relating to a particular topic of discussion with what seems like the sole purpose of winding people up and, really, obliquely insulting them in one way or another.

second line.

edit on 9-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by chukka
Just a thought/question. What if we are directly quoting something that has been said or written by someone else?

You could use the REPLY TO function.
If you use the QUOTE button, leave that part out, or use [SNIP].

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join