It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outcry as US mother stages fake arrest of son aged Five...because he played with matches

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Outcry as US mother stages fake arrest of son aged Five...because he played with matches

www.dailymail.co.uk

As far as punishments go, it was just a little on the harsh side.

An American mother persuaded police to stage a fake arrest of her son when she
caught him misbehaving.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What I can't believe is that the Florida Police Dept. went along with this stunt in scaring this five year old boy. Regardless if the mother was friends of one of the officers at the scene ; who was the one who put the handcuffs on her son. This whole scenario was played out in front of neighbors and witnesses. This is disturbing to see ; this country is slowly accepting and demanding a police state.

www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
What a bitch. Poor little guy. I also laughed for some reason. I'm conflicted.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON

What I can't believe is that the Florida Police Dept. went along with this stunt in scaring this five year old boy. Regardless if the mother was friends of one of the officers at the scene ; who was the one who put the handcuffs on her son. This whole scenario was played out in front of neighbors and witnesses. This is disturbing to see ; this country is slowly accepting and demanding a police state.

www.dailymail.co.uk

The mother is an idiot. The officers involved should have to pay back the salary that they "earned" during this "on duty" time, and the tax payers who pay said salaries should get their money back. Absolutely ridiculous. We have f**king drug runners on the streets, gangbangers shooting in residential neighborhoods, and the cops have nothing better to do than to teach a five year old child a "good 'ole fashioned lesson?" What if there was an actual crime being committed at the time? I'm sure using tax payer equipment to teach a five year old a lesson was not on the list of approved uses. Give me a break. What the hell is going on in this country? Bad parenting ALL.THE.WAY.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

[edit on 21-5-2010 by truthseeker1984]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
What the hell happened to a good paddling on the butt and grounding?

Amazing...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Welcome to the nanny state. If you spank the child it is called child abuse. I am in favor of what the mother did, not cause it is cruel, but she is using the only option that the government would allow her. She is seeking to ensure that her child grows up and learns that he can not violate the law without going to jail. She sounds like the kind of mother, who would turn her own child in, if the child breaks the law. So for those who are against this, tell me, if this is your child, who would not listen and kept playing with matches, and potentially burning down the house what would you do? If you spank the child, you go to jail for child abuse and domestic violence. If the child burns down the house, you get introuble for child endangerment and arson. It is a lose/lose situation, however, if more parents were more involved in their childs life, like this mother is, then maybe, there is hope that the child will grow up and be a member of society and stay out of jail.
Sides there are programs, like the scared straight program that do just what this mother did, only for teens, but I believe that may not be enough.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by sdcigarpig]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Welcome to the nanny state. If you spank the child it is called child abuse. I am in favor of what the mother did, not cause it is cruel, but she is using the only option that the government would allow her. She is seeking to ensure that her child grows up and learns that he can not violate the law without going to jail. She sounds like the kind of mother, who would turn her own child in, if the child breaks the law. So for those who are against this, tell me, if this is your child, who would not listen and kept playing with matches, and potentially burning down the house what would you do? If you spank the child, you go to jail for child abuse and domestic violence. If the child burns down the house, you get introuble for child endangerment and arson. It is a lose/lose situation, however, if more parents were more involved in their childs life, like this mother is, then maybe, there is hope that the child will grow up and be a member of society and stay out of jail.
Sides there are programs, like the scared straight program that do just what this mother did, only for teens, but I believe that may not be enough.

Since when is it illegal to spank a child? Last time I saw there was no law on the books that said you couldn't do that. The issue here is the misappropriation of tax dollars, and police officers willing to waste said dollars on a bogus thing. Like I said before, what if there had been a real emergency while they were "learnin' him a lesson?" Gross misjudgment and abuse of tax dollars. The people of her town should demand their money back.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
What the hell happened to a good paddling on the butt and grounding?

Amazing...

Those are illegal now lol
doing what she did is legal if you know a cop that will play along with ya.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Sigh... Its a five year old for cripe sake not a teenager. Whack em on the butt and send them to thier room, and no toys or what ever for a time. They have no idea what a cop is but they know a spanking means they did something wrong. And keep the damn matches where they can't get to them

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

Agreed. I could see having a cop friend come over to the house and lecture, but on his own time. Handcuffing a child that age seems pretty messed up to me and the waste of tax dollars is ridiculous. Twenty bucks says this kid is going to be starting anti cop threads on ATS in a few years.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

It is a lose/lose situation

Lose lose situation my Aunt Fanny!
Turn the 5 year old over your knee and take a switch to his little hinder until he's screaming. Better he feels that pain and learns the easy way then learn the hard way and end up a scarred burn victim for the rest of his life - if he doesn't burn everyone to death first.

People need to stand up and do what's right and stop living in fear.

After a good leg switching the 5 year old wants to call the cops? Hand him the phone.

Better he also learn a more important lesson from day one - Mommy and Daddy will NOT be pushed around by their own child - OR the cops.

If a cop takes it farther than that and calls a social service department - it's a risk you'll have to take. And a risk well worth it.

Grow up people.

(That statement is not directed at the person I replied to here in the thread or the OP)...

Added note: Sounds to me the 'mother' was enjoying the attention from the cops a little too much and using her kid as a vehicle to get that attention.
Some chickies dig cops and will do just about anything to get their notice. *Shrugs*

peace

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I do think that the mother went a little overboard, but children playing with matches can cause serious trouble which is something I know first hand. My cousin was six when he was playing with linkin logs and matches in the closet. He ended up setting a coat on fire and died, so if this woman feels like she had to go this far to warn her son then perhaps she made the best choice which is better than the alternative of having her son die from fire.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serenedaisy
I do think that the mother went a little overboard, but children playing with matches can cause serious trouble which is something I know first hand. My cousin was six when he was playing with linkin logs and matches in the closet. He ended up setting a coat on fire and died, so if this woman feels like she had to go this far to warn her son then perhaps she made the best choice which is better than the alternative of having her son die from fire.

I'm sorry for your loss. I've had close friends that have had younger siblings die in much the same way. It sucks.

However, it does not excuse the mother from not taking her duty as a parent seriously enough to enforce rules in her own house. If the kid is playing with matches, whack him a few times, take away X-Box or Buzz Lightyear or whatever they play with, and put him in his room. Hide the matches, put them in the garage, do something with them where he cannot access them. That is a simple parenting thing.

Being a teacher, I see too many times where the parents take no responsibility for the actions of their children. And besides, a five year old will have almost no concept of what "getting arrested" is. That was child psych 101---a prerequisite for my education courses. They may see cops on TV, but they don't fully understand the concepts of what they do. They simply do not have the cognitive functions at such a young age to understand. Now, young kids understand pain. I got spanked a lot when I was a kid because I did stupid crap. I learned really quick, and my parents did it all by themselves. No cops involved. If anything else, it's going to scar him, and he's going to grow up hating cops, and probably be a pyro on top of it.

This is about misappropriation of tax dollars, and I'm sticking to that point.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig

Seems like we all are forgetting how we were bought up and disciplined . That is exactly my point , with the laws that are now in place we have lost our parental right to teach and discipline our children the way we were. Today you can't spank your child , but you can have him arrested.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
well at least he won't ever smoke. he won't be able to light a cigarette.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I definitely agree that this is a waste of our tax dollars. Having someone of authority is a good way to teach kids to not do things for fear of consequences, but like people have said using cops was probably not the right way. Perhaps she could've taken him to the local fire station. I know where I live kids can go there and learn about fires and safety precautions and the firefightes actually have days set aside for parents to bring their children.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This thread just 'sparked' a memory of mine
. When I was about 7, a friend and I made a little match bonfire. My Mom came out of the house, walked up to me and explained that fires were dangerous, and that I could damage property/hurt someone. She explained it rationally, and it made sense. Now I don't start little match bonfires. No spanking or police intervention needed.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

I don't know if I would have gone this far, but the lesson was an extremely important one.

Fire kills.

Fire is serious business.

Presumably, the mother knows what would be persuasive for this child. As long as she isn't beating or neglecting this child, I'd be hard pressed to consider this particular 'disciplinary' approach abuse.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

People who need to use the police to control their kids don't deserve to have children. IMO.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Howabout teaching the little tyke that fire is dangerous?

Doesn't anyone talk to their own kids these days?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join