It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outcry as US mother stages fake arrest of son aged Five...because he played with matches

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I guess not. It's either spank or call the cops. Middle ground be damned.

On a side note your signature line

Trees are Earth's way of making love to the sky.
is going to be one of those things I cannot 'unsee'.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
My parents actually did something quite similar...
i remember When i was about 4-5, i was somehow persuaded by my older friend to destroy my neighbors yard (i was somehow convinced i was actually helping her clean up her yard for spring).... even sprayed raid on the garden.. i feel so bad now

long story short. i guess i was being a little F%$^er, my parents somehow got the police to come over and give me a good ol talking to to set me straight.
they pretty much had to pick me up and put me in the backseat of the cop car, they talked to me about what you would expect. But i was SH%^$ing myself at the time i was so scared!

I do have to agree that it is a waste of resources i guess but it worked like a charm! First experience in the back of a cop car at 5 years old and i never wanted to be back there again in my life

Although, the case posted by the op is a bit more drastic thats for sure, and even more of a waste of resources i must say.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The youngster must be taught that fire is dangerous, but I have a question...

Where did he get the matches to begin with?

Cops, handcuffs...too much for a 5 yr old psyche.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Seems a little over the top to me, I don't understand why she couldn't deal with the situation herself. The article doesn't say that he was habitually playing with matches, so I'm guessing it was his first time. She could've just sat him down and actually explained to him why he shouldn't play with matches, and then if he did it again smack his little hands, or his butt. But to have them handcuff him, I just can't understand that.

Those cops should've known better than to handcuff him too. A simple scolding from them would've been more than enough.

I can't even see his face in that picture, but his body langauge is enough. Poor baby must've been so scared, I can't understand why she would do that to him.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
reply to post by Kailassa

I guess not. It's either spank or call the cops. Middle ground be damned.

On a side note your signature line

Trees are Earth's way of making love to the sky.
is going to be one of those things I cannot 'unsee'.

It was a great dream, being the sky.

I could never look at a tree the same way again.

Amazing how people find dealing with a five year old so difficult, isn't it?
And if they haven't developed a relationship with the kid while it's little, how do parents expect kids to relate enough to them to want to be co-operative when they are teenagers?

Discipline is a bandaid for when good parenting hasn't worked.
You're only bringing kids up well if you're teaching them to be caring and responsible of their own volition.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

That is truly aweful. Please see my other posts especially the commentary of mine. Thank you

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

Why not show the kid video of real life fires and people jumping from windows? He will think twice...educate, don't punish.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
and no-one thought of just letting him burn his fingers? It is the best experience of fire to a kid.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I did the same thing to my son. He was about 10 yrs. old. He was signing my name to notes his teacher was sending home to me. While looking through his homework, I came across sheet of paper that had my name written on it about 30 times. I asked him about it. He said he did it because he was missing me that day while at school. Awwww, I was touched. I told him I love him too and preceded to look at the homework.
That evening it hit me, he was practicing signing my name. DUHHHH!
I grounded him for two weeks and told him the one thing a person should cherish and protect is their name.
It seems at the end of his grounding, he signed my name to a note again. So I called the police. They cuffed him, searched him (YUP), and put him in the back of the police car and had a good talk with him.
He apologized to me and he understands the importance of his "word", aka, his name.
The police officer made a point to drop by three more times to say hello to my son. He told me he didn't want him growing up thinking the police was the bad guys. I would like to think the police would have enough intelligence to stop the false arrest with my son if there was an emergency happening.
It is money worth spending if handled correctly.

In Florida, if you spank a child, you can not leave more than a pink mark, opened handed and no more than three whacks and strictly on the bottom AND with the clothes on the bottom.

Its crazy but I have seen 5 yr. olds rule households. Ive seen the child kick his mom, scream, and throw and break things, all the while not going to his room. Many single parents and even two parent homes give in too easily not realizing they are in fact harming the child and his future out of "love" or "oh, he's been through enough already" excuses.
This particular parent was deemed "a poor parent" and her son was sent to his fathers to live. He is doing much better now.
Not in any way am I saying they are better off with the father over the mother! Thats what happened in this case.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
People used to think it was necessary to "spank" adult members of the community, military trainees, and prisoners. In some countries they still do. In our country, it is considered sexual battery if a person over the age of 18 is "spanked", but only if over the age of 18.

For one thing, because the buttocks are so close to the sex organs, anal region, and so multiply linked to sexual nerve centers, striking them can trigger powerful and involuntary sexual stimulus in some people. There are numerous physiological ways in which it can be intentionally or unintentionally sexually abusive, but I won't list them all here. One can read the testimony, documentation, and educational resources available from the website of Parents and Teachers Against Violence In Education at www.nospank.net.

Child bottom-slapping vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child bottom-slapping/battering (euphemistically labeled "spanking","swatting","switching","smacking", "paddling",or other cute-sounding names) for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak
nospank.net...

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson
nospank.net...

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
by Lesli Taylor MD and Adah Maurer PhD
nospank.net...

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
American Psychological Association,
Center For Effective Discipline,
Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join