It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Everything in that marsh is DEAD tonight!" --Obama's Katrina.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

This comment still does not explain to me how anybody could have prevented this oil spill from happening,

Well, some certainly think the spill could have been prevented:

Environmental groups sued the federal government Tuesday, alleging regulators excused BP PLC (BP) from complying with safety regulations that may have helped prevent the rig explosion and sinking that unleashed a massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico.

In the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in New Orleans, the Sierra Club and the Gulf Restoration Network allege the Minerals Management Service issued deepwater oil-drilling permits to BP and other companies without requiring "oil-spill response plans" and "blowout scenarios" typically required to show companies can handle drilling accidents. The complaint adds to a growing chorus of criticism that the MMS, a unit of the Department of the Interior, took an increasingly hands-off approach in its regulation of the oil industry. In separate suits, environmental groups alleged MMS illegally excluded exploratory drilling operations from certain environmental laws.

BTW, this is not a conservative versus liberal issue- it is a environmental issue, which the last time I checked, affects all citizens, regardless of political persuasion. Both the Bush and Obama administration have been too cozy and lenient, when it comes to the oil companies. We should be building windmills offshore, not oil rigs.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
I like to know what you think the president could have done to prevent this oil from spreading to the marshlands?

Let's be clear. If you're going to cede control and decision-making to a foreign corporation over issues of critical national interest, and actually help the said corporation to cover-up the details, scale and significance of the crisis, then when things don't go well a month later, I kind of think it's fair to call you a willing participant in the whole freakin' nightmare.

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
I am pritty sure I heard 'Obamas Katrina' come from the mouths of Fox news first. You'd have me believe this is just coincidental. Continue being a parrot if that does you good.

Be sure to collect your boobie prize at the door.

You paint-by-numbers well.

*yawn*

[edit on 22-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I've been the proud bearer of the title insane for much of my life
I'm not allowed to speak about Politics in my office any more and I own the company.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Of course you have to let BP lead the efforts, you think the government has oil rigging laying around just in case? What resources does the government have that BP wouldn't, pray tell? Other then engineers.

That's also my question.
What, exactly is Obama supposed to do?

they're supposed to plan for things like this to happen, because it can happen. Obama is supposed to use his power as president, during a national emergency, which is what this is, to make things happen. hold people accountable, in real time. NOT talk about setting up a commission, acting as if the crisis is contained, and we're moving forward. This is still happening, and it's every bit as bad as it was on day one. Let me put this in perspective: this is WORSE than 9/11. the damage to the country is far more severe and long-lasting.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I have no more evidence for my opinions than the next guy but my gut tells me Obama is fighting against TPTB.

What I know for certain is Halliburton was working on the oil rig less than 24 hrs before the explosion.

What I've heard is the companies with leases in the gulf did not want competition.

What I believe is there is way more oil outside of the middle east than most people know and the market is controlled to the penney per barrel.

I didn't vote for Obama but something tells me, based on the millions of $ spent trying to discredit him, that he is seen as a threat to TPTB but they can't take that negro out like they did MLK or there would be a revolution.

Power to the brother of a different mother!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

You may be correct that he is fighting TPTB.
But, for whom?
If you think us, well....

It is always this way. Competing interests that can command armies of fools, sacrificing the lesser for the greater.

Who cares what Obama represents? Unless you want to know the "other" enemy.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonseeker
they're supposed to plan for things like this to happen, because it can happen.

So, Obama, a lawyer, was supposed to have planned for an oil rig explosion? Wow. You must think he's greater than those who supposedly worship him.

He's a man. A politician. A lawyer. Not a king or a god. He doesn't have a magic wand. I don't know what you expect him to do.

Obama is supposed to use his power as president, during a national emergency, which is what this is, to make things happen.

What power? What kind of power do people think a president has? I agree that he should hold them responsible, but we simply don't know what's happening behind the scenes. We don't know how his hands may be tied. I'm not defending his inaction, but I don't know enough to be so critical.

Let me put this in perspective: this is WORSE than 9/11. the damage to the country is far more severe and long-lasting.

Interesting opinion. But I disagree. We don't know what the damage is yet.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

No offense, but that is rather a lazy dismissal of the topic. I do not watch television, so accordingly, I couldn't have borrowed the point from the MSM or Fox News.

Maybe they read my threads.

Touche'

That very well could be. I've noticed some late night commentary almost seemingly coincides with political discussions on this site some times....even the types that dont' make it to MSM

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
So crude, diesel, methane and methane hydrate involved in this leak.

Methane Hydrate is interesting as 1 litre of the stuff burns to produce 168 litres of methane gas. It could well be the new 'blue gold' if the research into methane use as a fuel for propulsion is anything to go by.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Everything in the marsh is dead tonight, because these big oil companies...
are using science, engineering, and capitalism to extract and distribute oil, but...

They have NO RELIGION. No higher calling, that voice in their subconscious that says, THIS IS WRONG, THEY ignore.

Snarf, look up "religion". It is not religion that makes people fly planes into buildings.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
...I don't know what you expect him to do.

...What kind of power do people think a president has?

It is his government, no?

Have we arrived at the point where it's ok to expect the President to be just a figure head with no real power?

Is that where we are at with the Presidency? It's all window dressing?

READ THIS:

Conflict of Interest Worries Raised in Spill Tests

Local environmental officials throughout the Gulf Coast are feverishly collecting water, sediment and marine animal tissue samples that will be used in the coming months to help track pollution levels resulting from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake, since those readings will be used by the federal government and courts to establish liability claims against BP. But the laboratory that officials have chosen to process virtually all of the samples is part of an oil and gas services company in Texas that counts oil firms, including BP, among its biggest clients.

Some people are questioning the independence of the Texas lab. Taylor Kirschenfeld, an environmental official for Escambia County, Fla., rebuffed instructions from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to send water samples to the lab, which is based at TDI-Brooks International in College Station, Tex. He opted instead to get a waiver so he could send his county’s samples to a local laboratory that is licensed to do the same tests.

The article continues:

Mr. Kirschenfeld said he was also troubled by another rule. Local animal rescue workers have volunteered to help treat birds affected by the slick and to collect data that would also be used to help calculate penalties for the spill. But federal officials have told the volunteers that the work must be done by a company hired by BP.

“Everywhere you look, if you look, you start seeing these conflicts of interest in how this disaster is getting handled,” Mr. Kirschenfeld said. “I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but there is just too much overlap between these people.”

WTF?

So, which is it?

Is Obama in control? Or is he not?

[edit on 22-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

JP officials commandeer BP's hired boats in Grand Isle

Jefferson Parish Emergency managers say they have commandeered all of BP's hired boats in Grand Isle.

A representative for Jefferson Parish Emergency chief Deano Bonano said they requested immediate action after oil moved into the marsh passes and onto the beaches in Grand Isle.

He said more than 40 boats were sitting idle while he watched the oil rush into the passes.

At around 5:30 p.m., Jefferson Councilman Chris Roberts confirmed the boats have been commandeered by JP emergency managers.

Idle? Why?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Plaquemines officials consider paying for own oil containment effort (video)

On Saturday afternoon, a spokesperson for the Deepwater Horizon Unified Command told Eyewitness News that the dredging proposal wasn't off the table.

"It's still pending and undergoing federal review," said spokesperson Rob Wyman. "No final decision has been made."

Either way, Nungesser and the Plaquemines Parish Council may move forward on their own with the plan.

I guess Obama couldn't make the dredging plan happen any sooner either.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Let's be clear. If you're going to cede control and decision-making to a foreign corporation over issues of critical national interest,

This still does not explain what exactly you would have the president do? You are moving away from this question.

and actually help the said corporation to cover-up the details, scale and significance of the crisis,

How is the president scaling down the significance of the crises? Are you saying he is not paying enough attention? Rand Paul and some of the tea party groups were complaining the other day that this president was paying too much attention, putting too much blame, so don't you find the arguments in particular from the rightwing contradictory?

Be sure to

It is still amazing that you would parrot Fox news so accurately. Its amazing how people like you allow your minds to be made up so easily.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
There is a Facebook page - Boycott BP...all recent updates can be found here!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

You know what they say? "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

Perhaps, that is a phrase we can both agree upon.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Either there are "no booms" or the ones that are there are "not working."

...Booming school.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
It is his government, no?

Do you think the government is capable of anything? This mess came from an oil corporation in the middle of international waters, so im unsure what this government could have done to prevent this situation from happening?

What did the government exactly fail to do? Are you blaming the government for not preventing this oil spill from spreading to the marshlands? Really??

Have we arrived at the point where it's ok to expect the President to be just a figure head with no real power?

Well I can see that you have arrived to the conclusion that the president is a person capable of anything with absolute power. That is a very misguided conclusion. This notion that the president could be spending tax payer money, cleaning and preventing BP's mess from spreading to our shores, I mean why don't you explain to us how exactly this would go about??

Is Obama in control? Or is he not?

No, Obama is not in absolute control of the situation. Nobody could have prevented this spill from happening besides BP. There was nothing that could have been done to prevent this mess from reaching our shores. I don't know where you get off assuming the president has absolute control over what happens in this world. He doesn't.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Southern Guardian you know what the wise say "Don't feed the trolls". Let these people rage and baawwww just sit back and enjoy their antics.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join