It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blast your nuts with ultrasound. The next big male contraceptive?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
People will do some pretty crazy things to have sex without the consequences. Scientists at the University of North Carolina are conducting tests to determine whether blasting the testes with ultrasound can become an effective method of male birth control.

Scientists to test ultrasound as a male contraceptive

Scientists are beginning tests to see if ultrasound can be used as a reversible contraceptive for men.

Based on early work, University of North Carolina experts believe a blast of ultrasound to the testes can safely stop sperm production for six months.

With a grant of $100,000 from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation they will push ahead with more clinical trials.

The researchers ultimately hope it could offer a new birth control option to couples throughout the world.

Lead researcher Dr James Tsuruta said: "We think this could provide men with up to six months of reliable, low-cost, non-hormonal contraception from a single round of treatment.

"Our long-term goal is to use ultrasound from therapeutic instruments that are commonly found in sports medicine or physical therapy clinics as an inexpensive, long-term, reversible male contraceptive suitable for use in developing to first world countries."

Once the testis has stopped producing sperm and all "sperm reserves" have been depleted, explain the researchers, the man will be temporarily infertile.

Their Grand Challenges Exploration Grant project aims at fine-tuning this technique for maximum effect and safety.

BBC News

Fine tuning for maximum safety.

Sorry, I think I'll pass. I don't like the idea of anyone "blasting my testes", no matter how safe they say it is.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

With a grant of $100,000 from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation they will push ahead with more clinical trials.

Bill wants less people to be born, less crappy windows software licenses sold? Isn't that biting the hand that feeds him?
I wonder if the next xbox controller will have a downward focused ultrasound beam for those kids that play for extended periods.

I think I'm going to have several kids now just to spite him. Though I have a feeling it's not directed at whites and people who can afford birth control. *cough* free, low maintenance birth control for AFRICA anyone?

Attention time travelers, blast the crotch of one William Gates II sometime before Bill III was conceived because windows sucks.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
That's absolutely crazy. Who knows what that could do? What if it gives you a sun tan in your nether regions? Would you be bronzed down below? Would that give a new meaning to the words Gold Man-Sachs?
Gold man -sacks, sorry, I couldn't help it. (mods, please don't me mad

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
That's absolutely crazy. Who knows what that could do? What if it gives you a sun tan in your nether regions?

Lots of women use pills. Funny how ultrasound made you all freak out.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Birth control methods are a means of eliminating UNWANTED births such as couples who are NOT ready yet, or are NOT in a financial position to produce an EXPENSIVE addition into the world. Any safe method of Birth control is a VERY NOBLE thing to make available. It doesnt need to have a conspiracy behind it to be something desired.

Theres too many "kids" themselves having children, namely in the South. Many there are so young they are dropping out of High School at alarming rates. This means a very high probability that their babies will not be supported correctly as finances will be poor enouigh for ONE SINGLE mouth to feed, not to mention ADDITIONAL MOUTHS TO FEED!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I have to ask this,is this a serious thread or
a play thread?I need to know before posting
my real reply!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I have to ask this,is this a serious thread or
a play thread?I need to know before posting
my real reply!

It's a real news story, if that's what you're asking.

Edit to add: Doesn't mean we can't have a little fun though.

[edit on 5/19/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
That's absolutely crazy. Who knows what that could do? What if it gives you a sun tan in your nether regions?

Lots of women use pills. Funny how ultrasound made you all freak out.

Hmmmmm.... let me stop and think about why blasting my nuts with ultrasound made me freak out, maybe it's because...

"According to the European Committee of Medical Ultrasound Safety (ECMUS) "Ultrasonic examinations should only be performed by competent personnel who are trained and updated in safety matters. Ultrasound produces heating, pressure changes and mechanical disturbances in tissue. Diagnostic levels of ultrasound can produce temperature rises that are hazardous to sensitive organs..."

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh, yeah, that's why

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I will never understand why men are so protective over their man parts. You never hear women being freaked out over her womanly parts. Men hardly have any responsibility in preventing pregnancy and then they get all freaked out if a woman wants to keep the child and they have to pay child support. If you are a man and want to have sex and don't want it resulting in a child than you need to be responsible for the birth control, just as women need to do their part.

Edit to add that women get ultrasounds all the time. Women take birth control pills that have all kinds of funky side affects. Seriously, I truly don't get why a man would be so freaked out.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by calstorm]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The testicles are accelerated cell-replication organs, producing untold trillions of spermatozoa in their lifetimes, hundreds of millions every day in a healthy set of balls.

You start screwing around (pardon the pun) with these amped-up cell replicators, and the result is going to be an amped-up case of testicular cancer — not a good way to spend your summer vacation.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Someone been watching Medicinal Fried Chicken too much? lol

A very funny south park episode about testicles.

Dave

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think any method of birth control bears looking at.

I wonder though, what is wrong with the classic condom, which also protects -- to some degree -- against STDs.

It seems to me that just pregnancy prevention is so........ 80's. It's a new world with new conditions. If I were sexually acitive in these times within the populace, I would still stick with what has been tried a true for decades.

Thank God for me that I am delightfully monogamous with m'Bride. Too much high strangeness these days; I feel for those just emerging into their sexual awareness.

It seemed so much easier in an earlier time when young people had to suffer embarassment to acquire the tools to play without changing their lives forever for a moment's joy. I guess I'm just an ol' dinosaur. No irradiation, nor pulses of ultra-soundwaves for these ol' stones.

I know. TMI. Sorry 'bout that.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I think any method of birth control bears looking at.

And why not the most intelligent method? Abstinence.

It's a constant source of consternation to me, the extent to which brilliant minds will go to avoid giving up irresponsible behavior.

Teach abstinence in schools — not just in church — from the earliest age; teach kids total responsibility, not just partial responsibility; teach kids self-discipline, not the liberal mentality of reckless abandon and easy fixes for their ignorance and poor judgement.

These things can be taught, and it will make a difference — not only in population control, but in every facet of their lives.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I knew a guy a few years ago who got a vasectomy. The docs assured him it was a painless operation and told him he could go into work the night of the operation.

He was in pain for the whole shift. He called out sick for the next three days. Something tells me it wasn't as painless as the docs said.

It will be a cold day in hell before I let some doc mess around with my junk.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Agree. However, that was not the path I chose -- abstinance. I agree that it is the most effective.

My point is that if people are going to have sex -- and they are at a variety of ages -- that they should be prepared in advance to be responsible for the outcome. If they choose to utilize a low-quality condom and it breaks, then they should be prepared to arrive at an agreement as to the responsibility for the pregnancy.

Either way, I think it's a mistake to overly focus on pregnancy and forego taking responsibility for STDs. perhaps in these days, a *cough* double-tread is in order.

Ribbed. [for her pleasure]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is something for the guy, who refuses to wear protection, although any pig headed male that refuses to wear a condom won't like this either.

Men want it all, but, low and behold can't understand how they get a woman pregnant.

Everyone who doesn't need a child, needs to be proactive about not creating one.

No reason now, for one particular person to bear the weight of birth control.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Everyone who doesn't need a child, needs to be proactive about not creating one.

No reason now, for one particular person to bear the weight of birth control.

Thank you!
Perfectly stated on both counts, IMO. Dare we characterize it as premeditated nonpregnancy? Or perhaps just human responsibility for one's actions fills the bill.

Agree strongly with your second point. No reason whatsoever for one gender to bear the weight of the decision of action, after the deed has been done by both.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
My point is that if people are going to have sex -- and they are at a variety of ages -- that they should be prepared in advance to be responsible for the outcome.

Well, obviously, people are going to have sex no matter what, and those passions leading up to sex invariably override any intelligent decision-making for which humans credit themselves.

That's why I maintain that easy, after-the-fact birth control is a conspiracy on a grand scale, conjured up by TPTB in an effort to retain control of the masses.

If we were indeed serious about population control, however, we'd simply shut down our medical sciences for about a decade. This would rapidly reduce our numbers worldwide, solve our pollution problems, and increase our natural resources for the survivors.

It will come to that, BTW, and probably in the not-too-distant future.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I dont need to fry my balls i just pull out.... just kidding, anyways on clincal testing I wonder on what either unfortunate animal or human they are testing it on does anyone know what creatures balls are the most similar to humans.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

That doctor lied. A guy can't wear anything that gets up in the area for a few days.

It might be a lot less painful than having to pay child support, in the long run, if you don't want kids.

Don't play, if you don't want to pay.

Get over yourself, already. You don't have to actually shoot anything to be a stud!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join