It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find 'Baffling' Link between Autism and Vinyl Flooring

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Scientists Find 'Baffling' Link between Autism and Vinyl Flooring

www.scientificamerican.com

Children who live in homes with vinyl floors, which can emit chemicals called phthalates, are more likely to have autism, according to research by Swedish and U.S. scientists published Monday.

The study of Swedish children is among the first to find an apparent connection between an environmental chemical and autism.

Infants or toddlers who lived in bedrooms with vinyl, or PVC, floors were twice as likely to have autism five years later, in 2005, than those with wood or linoleum flooring.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Makes sense that chemicals in floors would have some health impact on children since they are crawling on the floor constantly and putting things in their mouths - and their mouths on the floor. It is logical that they would injest the materials in the floor.

You wonder how many things in a child's life emits dangerous chemicals that have lasting negative health consequences.

In any event, uncovering a potential cause of this disorder and especially one that would be relatively easy to implement is a good thing

www.scientificamerican.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
We know that vaccines cause autism as well. I wonder if this is an attempt that the FDA is trying to make to push off the blame on flooring.

Maybe not.

But maybe so.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
That's all well and good, except for the established medical fact that an autistic person's brain has fundamental biological differences developed in the womb. Just as a male brain differs in a consistent and recognisable way from a female brain, the same is true between the autistic brain and the neurotypical brain. Some of the differences are advantages over the neurotypical brain, some are not. There must be a balance in nature.

Just as with many other things in the past, autism is misunderstood. Doctors see "different" and don't know what to do with it, so they label it as a disorder. Whilst yes, there are many autistic people who also have disabilities, autism in and of itself is not a disability. Many would even say it's a distinct advantage.

So yet again we have the big Pharma companies telling us that something is an illness so they can peddle more drugs and mess up another individual's life. And yet again, nobody cares.

Autism doesn't need fixing, it doesn't need curing, it needs understanding. Autistic people don't need to be treated or medicated, and they also don't need to be forced into behaving like a "normal" person either.

We are different. We are not like you. But we are not ill, we are not suffering (except when we have to deal with you lot), and we certainly don't need your pity. We need to be recognised for what we are, a different facet of the human race.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by TheIrvy]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Scientists are 'baffled' that a poorly understood synthetic compound's off-gassing can destroy the brains of small children as they are developing?

Baffling, indeed. (facepalm).

[edit on 5/17/10 by Tharsis]

[edit on 5/17/10 by Tharsis]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
While it is true that Autism certainly existed before Vinyl flooring, et. al. the propensity for a sensitivity to man-made molecular compounds must be included in the model.

Perhaps not all, but at least some contributing factors to the rise in Autism can be found in our continuously increasing exposure to chemicals which were not part of our specie's biological development.

Just as not every smoker gets cancer, not every non-smoker can avoid cancer if the predisposition is there. All such predispositions can be said to have a starting point within the fetal development stage.

Sadly, petrochemical pharmaceutical commercialization will pursue a 'solution' that provides yet ANOTHER chemical alteration to our physiology via inoculation or other such technique to 'prevent' autism. This will inevitably lead to more 'side effects' like those shown to be present in the widespread use of plastics and synthetic compounds which are exceeding inexpensive to produce but somehow justify enormous profit.

The interesting thing here is that the medical community - who ostensible purpose is to heal and maintain health - turn a blind eye by allowing themselves to be wooed by agents of commerce.

How doctors can express befuddlement at the matter seems, to a degree, insulting to anyone with a scientifically inclined mind.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

Err..the developing fetus can take in phalates and other various toxins and pathogens from the placenta. Autism is most definitely a disorder. It's not normal, and it has an net negative impact on the individual. This coming from someone with Asperger's. There is a clear link between the rise in toxins and the incidence of autism. To think that individuals who are prone to having nutritional deficiencies, gut dysbiosis, allergens, troubles with empathy, and on and on...aren't disabled is nonsense. I have to abide by a strict diet, take nutritional supplements, and spend countless hours pondering how neurotypicals reason in order to somewhat fit in. The stress alone is enough to qualify this state of being as disabled.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I wonder how many phtalates and bisphenols are found in women's make up, hair products etc. I mean women poison themselves on a daily basis. It's no wonder their kids in and out of the womb are being poisoned. From fake boobs, to make up and hair color to eating "low fat" skinny diets.................women are some of the most unhealthiest people in the world. I can't imagine this whole uptick in autism is caused simply by vinyl flooring. What about all the crap children's toys are made out of nowadays? Plastic bottles, toys, food packaging? Vinyl flooring? Maybe part of it but not all of it.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by TheIrvy

Err..the developing fetus can take in phalates and other various toxins and pathogens from the placenta. Autism is most definitely a disorder. It's not normal, and it has an net negative impact on the individual. This coming from someone with Asperger's. There is a clear link between the rise in toxins and the incidence of autism. To think that individuals who are prone to having nutritional deficiencies, gut dysbiosis, allergens, troubles with empathy, and on and on...aren't disabled is nonsense. I have to abide by a strict diet, take nutritional supplements, and spend countless hours pondering how neurotypicals reason in order to somewhat fit in. The stress alone is enough to qualify this state of being as disabled.

The disorder lies in the belief that you need to fit in with them rather then have them understand you.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Nonsense. It's an actual disorder which can be seen on brainscans! It's not merely a social acceptance. It's not a belief. It's reality.

There are actual areas of my brain which have atrophied, and others have hypertrophied. Same would be said about a psychopath. Is a psychopath not disordered? Do we just have to accept how they are and their behavior will just magically go away?

[edit on 17-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Nonsense. It's an actual disorder which can be seen on brainscans! It's not merely a social acceptance. It's not a belief. It's reality.

Much like how being of a different race, sexual orientation and anything else that has been seen as a "disorder".

Look at the word for a moment. Disorder. "You" don't fit in. "You" can't exist within our system of order because you're "different".

Yeah, you're different. You're still human though. But far be it from me if you feel you need to take chemicals you don't understand to fix something someone else told you was a problem.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

Much like how being of a different race, sexual orientation and anything else that has been seen as a "disorder".

Look at the word for a moment. Disorder. "You" don't fit in. "You" can't exist within our system of order because you're "different".

Yeah, you're different. You're still human though. But far be it from me if you feel you need to take chemicals you don't understand to fix something someone else told you was a problem.

More nonsense.

Chemicals I don't understand? Assume much? I don't take pharmaceuticals if that's what you're referring to. I take vitamins. I understand the roles of vitamins pretty well, fool.

No, YOU take a look at the word disorder. DIS ORDER. There is an abnormal ordering. This can be seen as abnormal blood flow to various parts of the brain. Of course I don't fit in. Who does, and to what? It's not about that.

This has NOTHING to do with race, or religion, or sexual orientation. It's actual neurological differences which create an individual who is markedly different than most people. It's not superficial like the things you mention.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Correction, it's an actual difference which can be seen on brainscans. Scans of brains that we know precious little about in the first place.

I "have" aspergers too. I grew up undiagnosed, in a family of undiagnosed autistics going back 2 generations. I am a rare example of an autistic adult who was brought up by parents who knew exactly what was going on with their children, but without labelling it as a disorder. Instead of spending my childhood years being pumped full of drugs and listening to countless discussions of how to "fix" me, i was prepared by my parents for the chaotic world that lay beyond our house. I was told there was nothing I can't achieve if I put my mind to it. Sure, there would be difficulties ahead, but that's true of every single person. It's just that some of the things most people find easy, I find hard. The opposite is also true, however. There are many things that come as naturally to me as breathing that "neurotypicals" spend decades trying to master.

If you take any normal, healthy child from a young age and constantly reinforce to them that they are wrong, they are broken, they can't function without supervision, they cannot make decisions for themselves (and therefore are never taught how to make those decisions), you will end up with a broken, scared adult who fears the world. Any child.

If you take that same child and fill them full of mind altering drugs during their tender formative years, you'll break that child again.

I escaped both. I was brought up as a normal child, because I was a normal child. I was just a normal autistic child, who was able to communicate with his autistic family, and was prepared for the world by autistic parents. I am the proof of this particular pudding.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Also why is it that young boys are often more diagnosed with ADHD? I GUARANTEE YOU I would have been diagnosed with ADHD nowadays judging by the way I acted as a kid. I was hyper, overactive, always on the go, etc. But I was a good kid. I was a boy! Instead of sitting in a feminized classroom I would rather have been outside exploring, learning, satisfying my curiosity. ADHD? Well I think part of what you say is right. the average school is set up to teach girls. Girls love to sit quietly an do what they are told so they can please the teacher. That's how women are by nature. They want to do what others expect of them so they can please. Boys are completely different. They are rambunxious, hyper, physically active, and rebellious by nature.

Combine a boy's behavior nowadays with lack of parental discipline and no wonder kids are all diagnosed with ADHD. I think a lot of this ADHD is a crock of crap. I turned out to be a rather intelligent, healthy, law abiding young man. There was never any "disorder" with me. We live in a such a goody goody society nowadays. Follow this law, follow these rules, don't do that, do this, kids constantly being told how to play, what to play with, how to behave. The minute they don't conform they have a "disorder".

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

Wow! Interesting. I'd love to hear more on your story!

Kudos to your parents for being responsible, rational, critically thinking adults who didn't fold to the "system".

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

I agree with a lot that you wrote. There is no good that comes out of labeling someone as wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that our neurobiology is disordered. That's all I'm saying. Guess it's an autistic thing, in that I'm taking the term literally. I don't see the term disordered as synonymous with wrong, or broken. It just means different.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

In 'Two Lane Blacktop', there's a scene wherein an old lady states over and over 'we're going to the graveyard'.

The camera is focused squarely on the GTO's vinyl headrest.

These things have been known for years. Most people don't 'live' in their cars, so I guess that 'new car smell' is still a fond memory, for many of us.

The movie I mentioned is about nwo, not fast cars and chasing tail. lol.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

Well kids spend more time locked in the back of their soccer mom's SUV more nowadays than ever. I'd say many American kids do "live" in their cars.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Again, the ancients had it pegged, and we have lost it.

This may be shocking news to you, people. We are not all the same. Humanity is filled with archetypes. We are not all drones. Different types of human require different types of nuturing. They need to be prepared for life in a different way.

Of course, in our modern world we don't believe in such nonsense. We have standardised education, designed to force the malleable into a mould, and the ones who do not conform get labelled as trouble makers, they have disorders, they're sick and wrong because they're not like all the good little boys and girls.

You people like to pick and choose your reality. It's all grand saying that the governments are evil and not looking after our best interests. It's fine to complain about the big Pharma companies and their secret sterilisation programmes. But if it's not about you, you're not interested.

Autistic people should be playing a role in society. If you look around online at all the talk of meditation, enlightenment, etc, we're told about the different disciplines needed to be learned. Control of emotions, the ability to focus one's attention on a single thought, and the list goes on. All things that most people can spend their life trying to accomplish. But not autistics. We have all of that sorted, hard wired into our brains. The reason why so many of us cannot cope with the modern society is because we're not meant to live our lives like that. There's a different path we should be on, and we're being prevented from walking that path.

So, new conspiracy for you all. Why are TPTB scared of autism?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

reply to post by TheIrvy

I agree with a lot that you wrote. There is no good that comes out of labeling someone as wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that our neurobiology is disordered. That's all I'm saying. Guess it's an autistic thing, in that I'm taking the term literally. I don't see the term disordered as synonymous with wrong, or broken. It just means different.

I'm sorry to correct you, but you're wrong.

In my kitchen, I keep all of my mugs in the cupboard above the kettle, which is plugged in to the socket below the kitchen light switch. The plates are all in the cupboard beside the cooker.

In your kitchen, I'm sure you have your dishes placed in a completely different order to mine. You have the cups in a different place, the plates. Your order is different to mine. But your order is still order.

Disorder is chaos. Things thrown in any old way. A different order is still order. Deviation from the norm is not a crime or an illness, it is nature.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join