It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the Fatima Miracle a Mass UFO Sighting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
One thing for sure is that it did happen as my grandparents were a witness to it. I never asked them about it since they died before I cared but it is not questioned there for thousands have witnesses it. What they saw or what caused it is the mystery.

When I was young, I visited the church were one of the girls,(now an old lady, I think her name was Lucia) then worked in Leiria miles away from Fatima and Coimbra.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Shadow Herder]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Firstly, the Sun danced, so how could people mistaken the Sun with a UFO?

This event happened nearly 100 years ago , maybe the people of the time interpreted what they saw in terms that they understood at the time .
They saw a large glowing disk in the sky and the only term of reference they had was to call it the Sun , but as we all know the Sun doesn't spin around and zig zag about the sky .
As I posted earlier there are plenty of scientists who believe this event was more than a mass hallucination and have written papers on the subject .

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Personally I believe that this was actually the Virgin Mary appearing. She has made appearences all through the world to believers. I would venture to say that this was another one of those appearances.

Back in 1992 a painting of the virgin started crying in a town local to me in Barberton, Ohio. The janitor of the church, Tony, was visited by the virgin and told that she would perform miracles in the small church. Soon there were thousands visiting this local church which was no bigger than my living room( i live in a regular sized home). A couple people were actually healed. Well my grandmother and I visited the church out of curiosity and saw the painting weaping. Well my grandmother(who is a very devout Catholic) touched her rosary to the painting. Sure enough the rosary turned from a silver to a gold color and to this day is still gold. Also what is interesting was that the church smelled like a strong rose flower smell, which is also said that when the virgin appears that smell is usually accompanying. Take the story for what it is worth, but this is my impartial firsthand experience. Though I am a practicing Christian.

Sometimes people will resort to science for that which cannot be explained. There are numerous events throughout history which cannot be justified by scientific means. These events alone can only be explained by the gamble of faith.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

That was my punt exactly earlier on. If you live in that time where you aren't really seeing much in the sky but the sun and moon, what else could you call it? I guess I need to get better at backing my side, so thank you for letting me know about him. I actually have noticed on about every thread I've read with him in it, he is the skeptic of skeptics lol. Also, thanks for the welcome! I love this site, so ill try and stick around lol.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
From what I've read the events at Fatima sound like a typical encounter with a white type ufo orb dancing in the sky.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Then that would mean the "real" Sun was not in the sky. If it had been the witnesses should have reported a second Sun but that's not what any of them said.

The miracle occurred at mid day. The Sun was at its zenith. There is no description of a second Sun, just the one.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This makes me think of a TV show that followed a group of people who were convinced maria would appear at a certain time and place. All of the people who believe this would happen saw maria. However, the reporters and camera only saw the sun. Sadly I can't remember the name of this TV show.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Aliens, like I said, should have technology beyond our understanding. To say that they couldn't cloak the sun in order to perform this "miracle" would be absurd. If they have the capability to get to earth in the first place, what makes you think they couldn't perform this miracle effectively.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Still Searching

That's great.

The ET's hid the Sun so that the witnesses would think that their spaceship was really the Sun. They had also been communicating with three kids for months before the event, presenting themselves as Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

Sure, why not? But what's the point? To make sure Catholics didn't lose their faith?

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How do we know that the real sun wasn't still behind the clouds , the picture of the event doesn't appear to show the "sun" that high in the sky , surely at mid day the real sun would be higher in the sky .

[edit on 20-5-2010 by gortex]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Don't get me wrong , these boards need a Phage to balance the argument but even J.Allen Hynek found that science and reason couldn't explain away some UFO events , the Fatima Miracle may just be one of those events

Would that not be a God-in-the-Gaps argument?

Originally posted by gortex
The following people have written paper supporting the Fatima UFO hypothesis

But can you tell us what they said about the phenomenon? What is their argument? How did they support the Fatima UFO hypothesis? A list of names with PhD and MD behind it means nothing, it's just an Appeal-to-Authority.

Some of the names you cite may have had their research misappropriated. For instance, while Michael Persinger has written on the Fatima incident, his research does not support the UFO hypothesis...

Michael Persinger has also contributed to research into the Miracle of the sun at Fatima and other Marian apparitions. He theorized that the stimulation of the cerebral-temporal lobe may have been the actual cause of the Marian apparition phenomenon. He believes the religious content of the experiences many have been a result of their obsession with religious themes and their lack of education. He has contributed to 2 papers about The Miracle of the Sun.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Still Searching
Aliens, like I said, should have technology beyond our understanding. To say that they couldn't cloak the sun in order to perform this "miracle" would be absurd. If they have the capability to get to earth in the first place, what makes you think they couldn't perform this miracle effectively.

Sure, why not?

But then again, it does not explain why some people at the event either saw different phenomenon or nothing strange whatsoever. If aliens were cloaking he sun, certainly everyone near by would have witnessed the same thing, no?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Great...............now I've got Phage and Rex on my back , it's a skeptic gang up .
Beam me up Scotty

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

That's great.

The ET's hid the Sun so that the witnesses would think that their spaceship was really the Sun. They had also been communicating with three kids for months before the event, presenting themselves as Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

Sure, why not? But what's the point? To make sure Catholics didn't lose their faith?

For once, Phage and I are on the same page.

This was my point exactly but Phage got to the punchline before me.

There was only one 'dancing Sun', not two. And the kids were hearing and seeing Mary for months before the event.

I'll have you know that people went to that field that day thinking the kids were crazy so they were definetely not expecting anything. Even the priest said it was the work of the devil.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Its like I'm talking to a wall.... The most well prepared wall in the world that just shuts you down at every turn lol. I guess, in the end, none of us were there, so we really have nothing to go off of other than witness reports, but even those seem differed and varied from person to person. I'm going to stop arguing a point that I can't prove or disprove. All I will say is that I believe it could have been a mass UFO sighting.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I wouldn't try to change your belief anymore than I would the beliefs of those who were convinced they saw the Sun dancing that day.

I don't believe it was a UFO and I don't believe the Sun danced.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Seventy thousand eyewitnesses believed it!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Seventy thousand people were there (maybe, the crowd estimates vary).
Not all of them reported seeing it and the reports show quite a wide variation.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufoorbhunter

. He never said it was a hoax. Just that he doesn't believe the sun danced. It could have been an elaborate illusion, it could have been a mass brainwash. You never know what it was, like I said, none of us were there.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufoorbhunter

And that means what?

Three men do not make a tiger.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join