It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job, Taxpayers Will Cover Your Health Care

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

All of this bickering and you still haven't shared your thoughts regarding WHO will pay for this healthcare coverage that Pelosi is speaking of. Furthermore, who will pay all of the other endless expenses for these people when the quit their jobs? Playing late night gigs in dive bars doesn't pay much when you split it up amongst the band. Perhaps just enough to fill up the van and pay for breakfast at Denny's.

The never ending battle of semantics is getting a little old around here.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

i was asking a question, so since you read the bill, my question to you is, someone with a small business say making $100,000 profit a year with 3 employees, are you saying they will have to help pay for their employees insurance? or will they have to pay the entire insurance? no tax benefits for the business owner? do you have a link where i can read the bill? how long did it take you to read the bill and did you understand it? i heard there is a lot of legal mumbo jumbo that you would need a decoder ring to figure it all out. lol!!

well i am for healthcare reform. i have a job that provides its employees w one of the best insurance policies on the planet. i was told people already covered by insurance will be getting even better benefits after the fact, is this true?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

She didn't tell anyone to quit their job if they can't afford to...she said you will no longer be "job locked"...meaning if you won't be "locked" to the job just for the insurance. It's really not that hard of a concept to comprehend. If you are a musician that holds a "day job" for insurance purposes...you no longer have to be "locked" to that job to get health insurance. Simple...a lot more logical than leaping to the "SHE IS TELLING EVERYONE TO QUIT THEIR JOB AND GET FREE HEALTHCARE FROM THE GOVERNMENT".

Playing late night gigs in dive bars doesn't pay much when you split it up amongst the band.

So your argument revolves around that all musicians don't make a lot of money...brilliant.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

You know all our working lives my husband and I have pay taxes, only a few times when our children were younger we got anything back from our taxes.

We pay every year regardless.

Now that our children are young adults the tax is hitting us harder, so for the first time this year we took the time to look at exactly how much we are paying in taxes, to our amazement we figure out that between State tax and Federal tax my husband entire military retirement and some more from his full time job is gone, yes completely gone on taxes. I told my husband that he should quit his full time job, (Ihave not work in the last few years) sell everything we have buy some mobile home with a piece of land (small piece) and live on retirement and other peoples hard earned dollars like many have been living out of us for all this years.

Does that seems fair? that we do that after his entire retirement and some more from his full time job goes to pay taxes?.

We are not even considered in the top earners in the nation, for those that think taxes are no gouging the middle class or what is considered the middle class I can testify that is does, states are gouging us

]

[edit on 17-5-2010 by marg6043]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
reply to post by marg6043

i was asking a question, so since you read the bill, my question to you is, someone with a small business say making $100,000 profit a year with 3 employees, are you saying they will have to help pay for their employees insurance? or will they have to pay the entire insurance? no tax benefits for the business owner? do you have a link where i can read the bill? how long did it take you to read the bill and did you understand it? i heard there is a lot of legal mumbo jumbo that you would need a decoder ring to figure it all out. lol!!

well i am for healthcare reform. i have a job that provides its employees w one of the best insurance policies on the planet. i was told people already covered by insurance will be getting even better benefits after the fact, is this true?

Pardon me if I jump in here for a moment. Nothing in HCR mandates that employers have to offer coverage. The majority of companies will actually save money by paying a small fine compared to the high cost of carrying excellent coverage for their employess. That's money that goes straight to the bottom line.

The cruel reality of this is that most large employers will drop coverage and put workers either on their own (expensive and out of reach) or on the govt. dole. Companies in general are amoral as a general rule. Profit is the ultimate goal for every business and a penny saved is a penny earned.

Many people favor reform including me. I just don't support it in this crazy new law. They should have tackled the issue on a step by step basis. This issue is far to great for this panacea that has been literally thrown into our laps.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

She didn't tell anyone to quit their job if they can't afford to...she said you will no longer be "job locked"...meaning if you won't be "locked" to the job just for the insurance.

Did she really say that?? Let me check that quote again.. Is that what she really meant? You appear to be reading between the lines...

WHO is going to pay the healthcare? Plain and simple. WHO?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Did she really say that?? Let me check that quote again.. Is that what she really meant? You appear to be reading between the lines...

Yes...she said "job locked"...which is the only part I put in quotes. I also gave my interpretation of what "job locked" means.

What are you guys interpreting when you say she said "taxpayers will cover your health care costs"???

WHO is going to pay the healthcare? Plain and simple. WHO?

See the thing is that I have never made a claim here...I never said "all musicians will quit their jobs and they will all pay it themselves". Maybe some will...maybe some won't...I'm not ignorant enough to make assumen I know and make a claim about it.

But your side is the ones claiming she has told all musicans to quit their jobs and "taxpayers will cover your insurance".

First of all...she simply just did not ever say those words...why is that so hard to understand?

Second...if you are going to make that claim...then it is on you to prove that all musicians will be getting "free" healthcare paid for by the taxpayer.

Burden of proof...on the shoulders of those making the claim.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Why are you trying your hardest to deflect the question back at him so that you don't have to answer it?

Just answer the question, its not hard to do, unless of course you don't want to because of what that answer may be.

He isn't asking for proof he is asking for your opinion of who will be paying for their insurance.

In your opinion who will be paying for their insurance if they choose to stop working so that they can play the guitar?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Miracle Man

He isn't asking for proof he is asking for your opinion of who will be paying for their insurance.

In your opinion who will be paying for their insurance if they choose to stop working so that they can play the guitar?

Do you think that is a question I can answer with a blanket statement?

Or do you think each individual case will be different and I would be ignorant to think I could group them all together and assume I know what their situation will be.

It isn't a question that can be answered...but I know one thing for sure...and this has been my whole point...they are all not going to be quitting their jobs and having "taxpayers cover their health care".

This is what they are saying...they are saying that Pelosi is TELLING THEM TO DO THIS.

Please go quote me saying anywhere that I know what they will do or that I have said that I know who will pay for their insurance. That is up to them as individuals...not me.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Just answer the question, its not hard to do, unless of course you don't want to because of what that answer may be.

Apparently it is hard to answer a question because few have even attempted to answer my two simple questions.

1. Did Pelosi ever say "Quit your job, taxpayers will cover your health care"???

2. Do you think it is dis-honest (at best...spreading lies and propaganda at worst) to attribute a quote to someone who never said those words because you "know what they meant"???

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Your Wonder Woman wrist bands are getting one hell of a work out today. Who will pay if the taxpayers don't? Pelosi assured these people that they will have coverage. Who will pay?

No more semantics battles...Who will pay?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Your Wonder Woman wrist bands are getting one hell of a work out today. Who will pay if the taxpayers don't? Pelosi assured these people that they will have coverage. Who will pay?

No more semantics battles...Who will pay?

What is hard to understand...the individual will pay for their own insurance in some cases...and just like today...those that don't can't afford it will get assistance....JUST AS IT IS TODAY. Nothing will change about this...you are delusional if you think a mass of people are going to quit their jobs and go on government aid. I know it is a great conservative talking point...hell...all of you say you are going to do it yourself...but you don't. And you don't because IT SUCKS...and you know it...but great talking points.

But no where does Pelosi say to quit your job and THE TAXPAYERS WILL COVER IT.

That is complete made up propaganda...you hear what you want to hear...even if it was never said.

Now go answer my questions.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Why are you still deflecting.

Either answer the question or stop playing the 8 year old with your "I asked you first" mentalitly.

Either answer or let it drop.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Time to refresh!!

Pelosi said, “a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.”

Under our new HCR law(which kicks in in 2014 BTW), who will provide this healthcare that Pelosi speaks of if you "leave your work"? Who will pay for it?

I sure hope someone does not quit today because they will be SOL. I remember several stories that aired in the weeks following the passage of this law regarding the heavy influx of inquiries to insurance companies regarding the "new free healthcare" and how they could sign up.

Enough is enough. Time for me to call Pelosi in order to clarify this mess. I'll respond back whenever I get an answer.

Oh wait. She helped craft this bill so I can only imagine what she intended by her statement. We have 2000 plus pages of her intentions to look at.

I guess the taxpayer will be footing the bill after all!!

Good times! its been fun

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
My husband is an aspiring musician, he also works full time for a big company.

We still do not have health care.

I think that many of you are slaves to binary thinking and are only seeing things in black and white. You think that people who don't have jobs and are lazy are the only ones in this country who don't have health care when many hard working people are going without health care because big businesses are finding loopholes to get out of paying their employees decent benefits.

I don't really agree or disagree with a health care reform, but I would be more in support of making laws preventing big businesses from not offering their employees health care.

Another thing, what I see in the music scene is a lot of butt kissing to bands that suck in order to network and advertise their own bands. If people would be honest and willing to tell people they suck (in a diplomatic way of course) we would have less crappy bands giving up their day jobs to make it and more bands that actually deserve to devote their time to their art.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Just remember affordable health care means they have to offer something but that doesn't mean the quality have to improve actually many small busisness doesn't have to hire full time employees, like that they don't have to pay for insurance even under Obama care, if you make less that the 26 thousand dollar mark anually you will qualify for Medicaid.

Many are expecting checks in the mail because they think the government is going to help pay for health care cost, (subsidies) this money is going straight to the hands of the insurance businesses.

But now that Medicaid is been expanded this is going to change.

One of the problems with the "universal health care" in Massachusetts is that those that find themselves unable to qualify for subsidies are forced into health care that they are not able to use, because out of pocket expenses.

Nowhere in the bill say that insurance companies will be regulated, neither how you will pay for your medications, co-pay and deductibles.

And with no regulations on the private insurance we don't know yet what deal we may be getting when is mandated ,after all with mandate you either take what is offered to you or be penalized.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

What is hard to understand...the individual will pay for their own insurance in some cases...and just like today...those that don't can't afford it will get assistance....JUST AS IT IS TODAY.

Did Pelosi say that? or are you just making inferences?

Who pays for assistance to those who cannot afford insurance on their own?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

Looking back on my posts in this thread, I am guilty of looking at aspiring musicians as lazy... Sorry about that...I was wrong to do so.

Knowing some musicians in my real life, I should know better. All of them have jobs, too...

Again, apologies for any offense given.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I answered it...twice...as fully as I can without assuming I know everyones situation...to do so would be ignorant. But that doesn't stop some people...does it?

But let me get this straight...you are ok with everyone else deflecting and dodging MY questions...right?

I haven't seen you answer them. Care to dodge some more?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm not dodging.

I simply do not want to answer your questions. Anyone who defends anything Pelosi says or does doesn't count as much of a person and I could care less what they have to say in her defense.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join