It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job, Taxpayers Will Cover Your Health Care

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I'm just gunna go downtown, sit on a bench, beneath a nice shady tree, enjoy the fresh air.. and play my guitar. I'll leave the case open, the change I can buy my self a gourmet coffee, maybe a nice sandwich..

Now I just need to write to Pelosi and see if the Gov can't pay my rent, maybe pay my car payment too.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Pmusicians and other creative types could quit their jobs and focus on developing their talents because the taxpayers would fund their health care coverage.

Semper

Sweet, so how soon can I put in my 2 weeks?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
and i just want to add, what i would hope pelosi means by this, quit your job, as long as you are making some sort of living wage from your art or whatever the case may be, and the government will help you with insurance, in my opinion this would be reasonable.

Your post is still basically the same thing that Pelosi said.

Use a little logic and think it through.

If you quit your job and so the government has to "help" you with your insurance, the government (taxpayers) is still picking up your healthcare insurance tab because you quit your job.

Reasonable? Really?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

i said fine quit your job, that doesent mean you would not still be pulling in an income through your art. then the government can help you with insurance. kind of eliminates the "they are lazy they are not working they just want free insurance" arguement.

i find it so sad that some people for a variety of reasons end up keeping a crap job to pay bills and insurance, but are not able to take the risk to further themselves because they run the risk of starving or going with out insurance. it takes a scrooge like attitude to agrgue this point.

by the way, when you are an independant musician in my state you pay %30 in taxes with no benefits. this number comes down a little w the proper write offs. i wouldnt mind that if you were also getting health insurance.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I am thrilled that a politician even addresses artists as a group. About any topic. When was the last time that happened?

And she offers us free health care as well. Sounds all good. What I don't like is the idea of a national medical database. I want my medical history private. Plus, the health insurance companies. They are all gangster-run now. We need to just eliminate the middlemen,and have the government pay the health care providers directly.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Of course you don't have to keep your crap job. You can quit, get kicked out of your apartment or become foreclosed in your house, get your car repossessed, and eat at soup kitchen. Live your dreams! But at least now you'll have a doctor to go to when you get frostbite in the winter or suffer malnutrition.

The original settlers to this nation were not guaranteed anything, the least of all healthcare. But they still came because they weren't afraid to take a risk to better their life. Taking a risk is not synonymous with being successful and it doesn't mean having safety nets underneath you -- then it wouldn't be taking a risk.

I have many artist and musician friends, some make very good money and do it full-time and for others it is simply a weekend gig, as a hobby and not a career. Not everyone is going to be a successful artist or musician, even if all take the same risk. It is concerning that artists and musicians everywhere are being encouraged to simply quit their jobs as if insurance is the only issue in life. There are many other things that constitute a stable life (like paying bills, eating well), but if insurance is the only thing really holding that many people back from being self-actualized then it's nice to see Pelosi has championed those individuals.

I have an ex that dreamed of making it big in music. He busked on the streets and had an occasional gig here and there. We didn't have insurance. We could barely make rent. We were in a bad spot because he did not have what it takes to make money in that profession and that's pretty much all he did. When all I could afford to put on the table was rice, health insurance was the least of my concerns. I wanted him to get a job and help support our family. All the compensated health insurance, food stamps and other hand outs in the world wouldn't have changed that fact.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut

i said fine quit your job, that doesent mean you would not still be pulling in an income through your art. then the government can help you with insurance. kind of eliminates the "they are lazy they are not working they just want free insurance" argument.

Absolutely does not eliminate the argument because generations of (most) Americans have worked as hard as it takes to provide what was needed for themselves and their families.

And the part of this that you (amazingly) just can't seem to wrap your brain around is that the money the government will be using to "help you out with insurance" comes from me and every other taxpayer - most of whom are already paying for their own insurance.

That's what makes you the freeloader in this situation if you could have just worked a little harder to pay for it yourself.

[edit on 5/18/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by golddustgecko
I am thrilled that a politician even addresses artists as a group. About any topic. When was the last time that happened?

Gross example of selfishness - saying in effect, "About time I (or my group) got some freebies from the government".

And she offers us free health care as well.

Free for you, but for the rest of us paying YOUR tab?

Sounds all good.

Of course it does. You have to government taking over the roles your parents used to provide. The definition of a "nanny state".

What I don't like is the idea of a national medical database. I want my medical history private.

Total naiveté. You think the government - healthcare provider or otherwise - gives a ratz a$$ about anyone's privacy?

Plus, the health insurance companies. They are all gangster-run now.

Source?

We need to just eliminate the middlemen,and have the government pay the health care providers directly.

Let's see if you can correctly answer this fundamental question:

And who pays the government? Hint: the rest of us ...

Wonder how you'll feel when the government decides to eliminate the patient (you?) instead of "the middlemen" to save costs?

So many fools, too little time (to deal with them all).

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

This is awesome for The Arts in general and through the arts you can learn a lot......

But it will be abused , as is everything, but it will be used correctly and responsibly by a lot of people and we will get to hear some Great music and see some great artwork we may have never seen, heard, experienced because of it...

I'll be waiting to hear more details exactly.......

Depends how good the coverage is....Maybe artists could get basic coverage and pay more for the good stuff.....I would be ok with that.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

i understand your point but as a musican as i pointed out if you are already paying around %30 of your income in taxes wouldnt it be nice if you could have health insurance? i have amazing insurance through my job, i'm sorry for those that have to pay out of pocket, its a damn shame. no wonder they are so anti. you think they would be the ones that could use some help. after all you have been paying taxes.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MotherofBlessings

the original settlers was over 200 years ago!!! you think we could progress by now? should we all be pioneers and work 16 hours a day like those days as well?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Anyone looking for a Drummer or Guitar Player for their band?

I focus in Modern Rock, or Heavier type Rock!!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Just the typical Marxists propaganda. The droids fall for it every time and end up getting killed in the end.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I didn't realize that quitting one's job and still expecting to be entitled to handouts was progress. Me and my silly PA Dutch work ethic, believing that people should work to eat, pay their own bills, and pay for their own healthcare!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

If you could have been making an equally profitable living from your art as opposed to your current job -- wouldn't you have already been doing that?

It's not as if being a professional musician or artist is not allowed.

This is geared towards the people that don't have enough talent to make it a career. Otherwise, they already are professional artists, etc.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Senior Health Care Solution
So you're a senior citizen and the government says no health care for you, what do you do?
Our plan commit a crime. Of Course, this means you will be sent to prison where you will get 3 meals a day, a roof over your head, and all the health care you need! New teeth, no problem. Need glasses, great. New hip, knees, kidney, lungs, heart? All covered. (And your kids can come and visit you as often as they do now). And who will be paying for all of this? The same government that just told you that you are too old for health care. Plus, because you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay income taxes anymore.

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT?!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MotherofBlessings

did you read what i wrote? a tax paying musician pays around 30% in taxes! musicians work too, they are not all lazy. i know because thats what i pay, and i have a side job that provides me with awesome insurance. i'm proud of your work ethic, this is not a prove who can work harder or longer discussion. if it was i would point out that a hard working musician works as hard and as long as many hard working people, to excel at his or her craft. quit pointing the finger at everyone else if you choose to continue working hard and paying for everything yourself so be it, to me that is honorable, it is dishonorable to judge others though. i believe in hard work, i also believe in "working smarter not harder".

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Use a little logic and think it through.

If you quit your job and so the government has to "help" you with your insurance, the government (taxpayers) is still picking up your healthcare insurance tab because you quit your job.

She is saying that your will not lose your insurance if you change jobs and follow your passion...notice the word ENTREPENEURIAL?? OR WHEN SHE SAYS "a musician or WHATEVER"??

She is not saying the government will pay your insurance, quit your job. She is saying that if you want to start your own business or YES...god forbid...become a musician (which is a job BTW) you will not have to risk yourself or your family not having insurance...because you will ALWAYS have an option to purchase it...

“We see it as an entrepreneurial bill,” Pelosi said, “a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.”

I assumed that simple reading skills would put this thread spin/BS thread to rest, but apparently I was wrong.

SHE is speaking about people CHANGING JOBS TO FOLLOW THIER PASSIONS...NOT FREELOADING.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 19-5-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job, Taxpayers Will Cover Your Health Care

Here we go...

(CNSNews.com) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said this week that thanks to the new health-care reform law musicians and other creative types could quit their jobs and focus on developing their talents because the taxpayers would fund their health care coverage.

“We see it as an entrepreneurial bill,” Pelosi said, “a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.”

You forgot the last 7 words of this quote...You know the words when read along with the rest of the quote makes it clear she is talking about CHANGING JOBS...not Freeloading.

...You won't have to be Job Locked

How lovely when Mods take quotes out of context and posts Op articles from CNS...formerly named "Conservative News Site" whose motto is "Right News, Right Now"

What garbage...

LIST THE WHOLE QUOTE. You are a MOD...act like it.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join